Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Painting Aluminum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/painting-aluminum-196769.html)

DBoat 10-31-2012 10:18 PM

Painting Aluminum

I have ordered an aluminum tummy tuck skid pan for my LJ.. its raw aluminum and I am thinking of painting it. I know that I need to paint it first with an etching primer, but then do I paint it with paint and then bedliner or just go straight to the bedliner? What have you guys done and what works and stays on? Yes, I know that if I go scraping it all over a bunch of stuff the paint and/or bedliner will come off, but it should be easy to quickly remedy.

Dana

harleydragon 10-31-2012 10:39 PM

primer and then bedliner.....paint not needed inbetween

geiman 11-01-2012 04:18 PM

x2; straight to bedliner after the paint.

But keep in mind, rattle can paint is about the easiest to touch up with. Plus, you typically want your skid plates to be as slick as possible to help you "glide" over obstacles. I would think bedliner would be the opposite, and make your Jeep want to "stick" more. I'd use regular paint for that reason alone.

Lookin2buy 11-01-2012 07:22 PM

It's definitely RAW aluminum? Not with a clear anodized finish over? You can use an etching or epoxy primer then bedliner...OR depending on the product some of those bedliners can go DTM - direct to metal...

If it is anodized then you'll want to use ovencleaner on it first to remove the finish....or you can scuff with steelwool to remove...

Be sure to prep the metal good first with a degreaser before you apply any primer/paint

DBoat 11-01-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin2buy
It's definitely RAW aluminum? Not with a clear anodized finish over? You can use an etching or epoxy primer then bedliner...OR depending on the product some of those bedliners can go DTM - direct to metal...

If it is anodized then you'll want to use ovencleaner on it first to remove the finish....or you can scuff with steelwool to remove...

Be sure to prep the metal good first with a degreaser before you apply any primer/paint

Def raw aluminum.

lynn 11-02-2012 07:44 AM

Scuff and degrease immediately before applying primer.
DTM on aluminum will work well if the aluminum is absolutely clean with zero oxidation.

30-284 11-02-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 2952798)
if the aluminum is absolutely clean with zero oxidation.

Which is nearly impossible as aluminum oxidizes almost immediatly.

Donn

lynn 11-02-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 2952985)
Which is nearly impossible as aluminum oxidizes almost immediatly.

Donn

Ya, but for purposes of painting DTM, the point is to not let the aluminum sit for days between cleaning and painting. Painting DTM within a few hours of appropriate cleaning will be sufficient for proper adhesion.

DBoat 11-11-2012 07:58 PM

Well, I cleaned then scuffed then cleaned again then primed with etching primer for aluminum.. that is where I strayed from my original plan.. I went with spray on undercoating. I used one can on the lower and one can on the upper so I have a pretty thick coating. I hope this works out because I am thinking if I have to redo this. its gonna not be fun..

Dana

BLK00TJ 11-11-2012 08:37 PM

I'd leave it alone. Too much of a pain to touch up after you scrape it up. I vote to leave it raw!

DBoat 11-12-2012 10:01 AM

checked it out this morning after it set all night to cure. seems pretty tough.. I hopefully wont be scraping it too much.. LOL