Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sound System Upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sound-system-upgrade-197033.html)

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:02 AM

Sound System Upgrade

5 Attachment(s)
So I've been working off and on, on my sound system. Just finished up the final touches. Thought I'd share some pics:whistling:

I'm not going to go into great detail. I'll try to explain the pictures though.

My first plan was to keep the stock radio(head unit), and just hook into the wire to an amp, then to new component speakers... :nonono: Don't ever do that. The stock head unit(HU) has a preset eq that kills good sound from quality speakers.

So After fussing around for quite a while trying to use the stock HU I finally got a new HU, after I got a new HU I realized that the amp that I had did not produce good sound quality, so I returned it and bought a JL XD700-5 amp. It sounds great with my polk mm6051 component speakers, and JL Audio 8w3v3-4 subwoofer.

PICTURES:

In the first one you can see my torn apart dash. That was quite the experience for a newbie like me.

#2&3 Next you can see my handy dremel was used to enlarge the tweeter mount for my new component setup.

#4 I had to cut off the top of the metal radio mounting bracket to allow my gps head unit to fit.

#5 Testing the head unit fit.

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:11 AM

...Continued

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my Amp placement.

#1 Amp to battery hookup.

#2 In my first "round" at building the sound system I placed the bigger, cheaper MTX Jackhammer amp in the back "secret compartment".

#3 After returning the big amp, I got the JL xd700-5 Amp. Much smaller and better quality. Also much more $. Here's a pic of when it's almost completed being mounted under the passenger seat.

#4 All mounted and the seat back in place. Notice that the seat is as far forward as possible. No one can even see it's there when the seat is in it's normal position. Also notice the metal protection bars I put on the seat frame to protect it from backseat passengers feet.

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:15 AM

Holy crap is that an airbag? Why did you dig that deep into the dash? I have done 2 JK sound systems and never have I had to rip it apart that much.

How are those Polk tweeters? I need to upgrade mine, last thing left to do.

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:17 AM

more...

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the mic from the aftermarket head unit for hands free calling. I took apart the mic that came with my Jeep and fitted the aftermarket mic in it's place. It looks good in the jeep, but like any hands free phone calling in a jeep, you can't use it when there's much wind noise (like freeway driving, even with a hardtop).

Here's a picture of the front speaker pods all dynamated so they won't resonate at certain frequencies.:dance:

Lynskey 11-02-2012 11:20 AM

Love it. Nice work. I have the same amp and sub. It really does the job for powering all speakers and amp. I went the easy route and put the amp in the rear on the driver side rear quarter panel between the seat and the tailgate. I was going to go under the seat but didn't want to pull the seat and map all the wiring under there.

Also you didn't have to pull the right side of the dash off to get to the speakers under the dash. Just remove the glove box, undo the 3 bolts and the whole speaker/box assembly slides out (as you probably know). I don't mess with airbags. You are brave!

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2953505)
Holy crap is that an airbag? Why did you dig that deep into the dash? I have done 2 JK sound systems and never have I had to rip it apart that much.

How are those Polk tweeters? I need to upgrade mine, last thing left to do.

Like I said, I was definatly a newbie getting into this:D I'm sure I did some thngs the hard way, but I did get it done:punk:

But in the end taking it all apart as much as I did allowed me to get all the wires taken care of nicely, and I didn't want to stress the plastic by holding it out as much as neeeded to get to the speakers...

Did you do your upgrades on the new interior? 11'-12' ? Mines a 12" and I think that it's a lot harder working on the the previous dash.

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:23 AM

2012 and 2013. But ya, those speaker boxes are a pain, you just have to figure out how to turn them so they slide out of the glovebox area. Not bad.

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 2953535)
Love it. Nice work. I have the same amp and sub. It really does the job for powering all speakers and amp. I went the easy route and put the amp in the rear on the driver side rear quarter panel between the seat and the tailgate. I was going to go under the seat but didn't want to pull the seat and map all the wiring under there.

Also you didn't have to pull the right side of the dash off to get to the speakers under the dash. Just remove the glove box, undo the 3 bolts and the whole speaker/box assembly slides out (as you probably know). I don't mess with airbags. You are brave!

Well, newbie as I was the first round I didn't take out the speaker pods. That's when I used the MTX amp, and stock HU.

The next round I put in the Polk MM6501's in place of the DB6501's. I think that my biggest problem was my stock HU, not the speakers. That's when I discovered that I could take the pods out easily. I took them out to dynamat them because they resonated pretty badly at certain frequencies with the db6501's.

I was very careful with the airbag, believe you me.

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2953542)
2012 and 2013. But ya, those speaker boxes are a pain, you just have to figure out how to turn them so they slide out of the glovebox area. Not bad.

I took it all apart before I knew how to get the speaker pods out:doh:

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:30 AM

Oh, and I love the polk mm6501 tweeters. The tweeter in the pic is the DB6501. They were a little harsh/brash. and the mid-woofers didn't have much depth. The MM's don't have as much depth as I'd like either. I probably shouldn't have them in the sealed pod, that would probably help them move more air, and have more depth.

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:31 AM

Lol...live and learn. What did you pay for those tweeters? Like them?

Edit...you just answer my ?s lol

panthermark 11-02-2012 11:31 AM

Wow, you really tore into it! Way to go...

At first, I thought it looked the vehicle had been been stolen and stripped....and some hobo's had a "soup kitchen" in it.

Thanks for the F shack
Dirty Mike and the boyz...
:D

Which 6.5's did you go with?
Edit...you just answered....

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:35 AM

Pic of the sub?

This is mine:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8...9fddaae6_b.jpg

Works great since I can move it around. Amp is under the seat.

Lynskey 11-02-2012 11:36 AM

It is all good. Now you know how it comes apart!

Although fishing 3 sets of RCA, Sitius antenna and tuner runs without removing that dash piece was a PIA! Even more of a bitch are the floor surrounds. Those plastic push buttons are TOUGH to get out cleanly.

I love audio upgrades and love when real upgrades are done - HU on back. I can't say enough times that the stock stuff just does not provide a clean starting point. You gotta go new HU, sub, components up front and and a new amp to power it all. Then you can decide if you want rear fill (sound bar). I did as I like a bit of rear fill.

Nice call on the deadening of the front pods. I noticed resonating at a particular frequency and did the same thing.

If interested, here is my build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/201...og-155755.html

topless2012 11-02-2012 11:37 AM

Wow, nice pic's, they'll help me soon..

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:39 AM

Here is my sound system install album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=435d552817

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 11:41 AM

The Sub

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of my custom sub enclosure.

I wanted to build a sub that would sit up out of the way, yet have great sound.

These pics show some of my planning(for angles, air volume, and fitment), and as I'm building the sub. Testing the fit before I carpeted it. On the work bench with carpet. and a final test fit in place in my JKU.

Speaking of the sub, I just finished the enclosure, and I need the money, and it's the only thing not bolted down, so I'll be selling it. I've actually got it listed on ebay. check it out. I built it for my own use. it's quality work. and it sounds incredible. It's worth whatever it goes for. It's a custom, 1 of a kind box that fits the unlimited perfectly.

I've got the plans still, so I'll some day be building another one, once money allows. Please pass the word along. Check it out, I wrote more about it on ebay. The sub is new, and has only been tested at low power(it still needs broken in).

JL Audio 8" 8W3V3 4 Custom Jeep Wrangler 4DR Sub Enclosure w Sub | eBay

Check out ebay for more pics and a better description.

lolpetewtf 11-02-2012 11:44 AM

That's a great place for the sub. I wish I thought of it when I did my system. Mine is not bolted down either. I have a bike lock going through one of the seat brackets in the floor that is attached to a foot of the sub. I spend lots of time with the top off. Works fine. Has not been stolen yet!

Davidsjeep 11-02-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 2953591)
Here is my sound system install album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=435d552817

Nice pics!

And thanks, I thought about the sub placement for a long time before I finally built it. It was tons of work to get the exact angles, size, air space air space etc...

I glued, screwed, and siliconed my enclosure so that it'll be the best it can be. I chose sealed rather then ported because it gives tighter, better quality bass.

Like I said before, it's for sale on ebay now. Check it out for more pics. some day I'll make one that I can keep:thumb:

Davidsjeep 11-03-2012 09:33 AM

I'll get some pics later today of my component speakers(tweeters & Mid-woofer with a passive frequency crossover) in the soundbar. I stuffed my soundbar completely full of polyfill before installing them. It sounds really good, and my back seat passengers have good sound even with the top off.

Davidsjeep 11-03-2012 07:16 PM

Amp under the seat.

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture that shows the blocks that I screwed into the "tub"(floor) under the seat, I leveled up the blocks and then secured my amp to the blocks. With it up on the blocks I was able to run any wires I needed to underneath it.

It would be very hard for someone to rip it out and steal it considering how solid it's secured and how little room there is to get a good grip on it. Plus from outside you can't even see it. And I've got two bars in the back to protect it from backseat passenger feet.

The picture is taken from an angle as if you were leaning in front passenger door, right up against the pillar.

Davidsjeep 11-04-2012 01:31 PM

Soundbar

2 Attachment(s)
I just took a couple of pics of my soundbar. I installed Polk mm6501 components in it.

I decided to go with components(Mid-woofer, & Tweeter with a crossover -to split the sound and send the correct frequency each speaker) instead of just a mid-woofer because with a mid-woofer you don't get very nice sound in the back seat. I know because that's how my '10 Rubicon was with it's premium Intfinity sound.

I was able to use the factory speaker grills, I just had to shim it a little.

I have the "crossover" stuffed up in polyfil in the soundbar.

To deal with too much treble coming from behind you when you're sitting in the front, I have the tweeters pointed as far towards the back as the mounts will allow, and I have the treble setting on the crossover set as low as it will go.

All in all it sounds really nice in the front and back seat.:dance:

And don't forget to check out the ebay auction for the custom subwoofer I built for this system.

County98 11-04-2012 02:00 PM

Wow, nice job! Just did speakers in mine and cant wait to add aftermarket amp. Nice!

panthermark 11-04-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidsjeep (Post 2959426)
I just took a couple of pics of my soundbar. I installed Polk mm6501 components in it.

I decided to go with components(Mid-woofer, & Tweeter with a crossover -to split the sound and send the correct frequency each speaker) instead of just a mid-woofer because with a mid-woofer you don't get very nice sound in the back seat. I know because that's how my '10 Rubicon was with it's premium Intfinity sound.

I was able to use the factory speaker grills, I just had to shim it a little.

I have the "crossover" stuffed up in polyfil in the soundbar.

To deal with too much treble coming from behind you when you're sitting in the front, I have the tweeters pointed as far towards the back as the mounts will allow, and I have the treble setting on the crossover set as low as it will go.

All in all it sounds really nice in the front and back seat.:dance:

And don't forget to check out the ebay auction for the custom subwoofer I built for this system.

That is awesome.
I really don't know why Jeep didn't use components in the soundbar to begin with. It would have made a lot more sense. And it looks factory because you are able to use the stock grills.

Also, what type of headliner are you using on the inside of your hardtop.

Davidsjeep 11-04-2012 05:25 PM

headliner

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 2959914)
That is awesome.
I really don't know why Jeep didn't use components in the soundbar to begin with. It would have made a lot more sense. And it looks factory because you are able to use the stock grills.

Also, what type of headliner are you using on the inside of your hardtop.

Yep, I wanted it to look as much "factory" as possible to keep the risk of being broken into as low as possible.

I've got the white "Boom Mat" headliner from Quadratec. I like it. I think it helps a little with outside noise, and helps the inside be a little more acoustic, plus it helps a little to insulate from the heat and cold. I thought I'd throw in a link for you. Boom Mat 050137 - Boom Mat™ Hardtop Sound Deadening Headliner for 11-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

Garrett Johnson 11-04-2012 07:42 PM

you have done an amasing job! i was wanting to put subwoffers there too, is there any way i could get the deminshions for the box? that would make my day!

2013bluerubi 11-04-2012 07:59 PM

There is no way I am getting rid of my 730n I cant see spending 1800 and tearing it out. Actually the 730n is a great unit for navi and it does have a way better touch screen response than the 800 dollar pioneer navi I put in my tacoma. But and this is a big one the sound absolutely sucks donkey kong. I am still hoping someone will find a way to use the head unit and patch in a decent digital processor or amp that will bring back highs and clarity to this lack luster crap shack alpine calls a sound system, what a joke it is.

Davidsjeep 11-04-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey

Hey man, I just took a look at you build! You did an awesome job explaining and going through the whole process! I would've loved to seen that before I built mine, but mine worked out well anyway.

So the 8w3 sounds alright without a good enclosure? I know the one I've got for sale sounds really good, in a tight, strong sealed enclosure mine probably a little quicker/tighter response then it would have in fairly open air, or sealed with the wrong airspace. Anyway, all that looks great!

Thanks for sharing.

ealive 11-04-2012 08:39 PM

subscribed

Davidsjeep 11-04-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013bluerubi
There is no way I am getting rid of my 730n I cant see spending 1800 and tearing it out. Actually the 730n is a great unit for navi and it does have a way better touch screen response than the 800 dollar pioneer navi I put in my tacoma. But and this is a big one the sound absolutely sucks donkey kong. I am still hoping someone will find a way to use the head unit and patch in a decent digital processor or amp that will bring back highs and clarity to this lack luster crap shack alpine calls a sound system, what a joke it is.

To begin with I was dead set on keeping my stock stereo because I had the "connectivity group" which meant I was supposed to be able to connect with Blue tooth and whatnot, hands free calling, steering wheel controls etc... So I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OI...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

After thinking and thinking about where I'd install it, and how I'd hook everything up I finally gave in a bought a new head unit. I couldn't be more happy with it. I got the JVC kw-nt50. I was afraid of a slow touch screen, but I've not had any disappointments with this one. I'll post more about it later. But it's awesome.

If I were in your place I would definitely try to go with a digital signal processor. Read up a little on how they work, it's pretty neat. A good quality amp won't take it's place. No matter how good the amp is you'll just amplify trashy sound that much better. But it won't give you quality.

I highly, highly recommend the JL xd700-5 amp, it's incredible!! There are so many factors when looking for a good amp, but in a Jeep size is important, and I learned that the "noise to signal" ratio is really important for good, clear sound. The xd700-5 excels in both areas. I highly recommend Crutchfield=)

Hope you can have fun with an upgrade.