Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Monstalining the Tub Question? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/monstalining-the-tub-question-197199.html)

Lincoln33 11-03-2012 09:13 AM

Monstalining the Tub Question?

I've started pulling the interior to Monstaline the tub and now I'm wondering how to plug the bolt holes so I don't clog them up with the liner. I considered putting the bolts back in place but then the threads would get coated making them difficult to reinstall.

For you guys that have done this how did you deal with it?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm.../3/0/9/tub.jpg

CPLSeraphim 11-03-2012 09:16 AM

Why dont u just grab some bolt with the same threads, and put them in for the time being, that way you are not messing up andthing with your own bolts.

Lincoln33 11-03-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim (Post 2956142)
Why dont u just grab some bolt with the same threads, and put them in for the time being, that way you are not messing up andthing with your own bolts.

Considered that but there's several different size bolt holes for the seats, seat belts, roll bar etc... I also considered replacing all the old bolts with new bolts, that arent't Torx, and using the old ones to plug the holes. Before I did that I wanted to hear how others dealt with the problem first.

rykemc 11-03-2012 10:02 AM

You could just tape over them. When I got my frame back from powder coat, I noticed all the bolt holes had these rolled up pieces stuck in them. Kind of rolled up like a funnel. It was a special type of plastic I am sure they use for the baking process but I would think just regular masking tape would work just fine. They just stuck them in the holes and when I pulled them out the threads where just fine. I also have a tap and die set that I used to clean all the threads out with.

Lincoln33 11-03-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykemc (Post 2956256)
You could just tape over them. When I got my frame back from powder coat, I noticed all the bolt holes had these rolled up pieces stuck in them. Kind of rolled up like a funnel. It was a special type of plastic I am sure they use for the baking process but I would think just regular masking tape would work just fine. They just stuck them in the holes and when I pulled them out the threads where just fine. I also have a tap and die set that I used to clean all the threads out with.

Yeah I thought about doing the painters tape, gonna use it around the edges, but I wasn't sure how tough it would be to pull off after it gets a thick coat of liner on it. I have the tap and die too, just in case.

rykemc 11-03-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln33 (Post 2956293)
Yeah I thought about doing the painters tape, gonna use it around the edges, but I wasn't sure how tough it would be to pull off after it gets a thick coat of liner on it. I have the tap and die too, just in case.

If you have a tap and die I think you will be golden, Just tape over the holes best you can and what you don't get out the tap will clean out. I think its a good idea to go ahead and clean out all the threads after you are done. Good luck and post some pictures when you are done. I am about to do mine but I am using rafter liner. It is a spay on system. Kit includes the liner material, hardener and a gun you hook up to an air supply.
So far I have the under side stripped. Need to get the inside prepped next.

Attachment 174806

Ibuildembig 11-03-2012 10:36 AM

I sprayed mine while the tub was on the rotisserie with monstaliner and it turned out flawless. I didnt tape anything, just ran a tap down in them and roll on.

Lincoln33 11-03-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykemc (Post 2956326)
If you have a tap and die I think you will be golden, Just tape over the holes best you can and what you don't get out the tap will clean out. I think its a good idea to go ahead and clean out all the threads after you are done. Good luck and post some pictures when you are done. I am about to do mine but I am using rafter liner. It is a spay on system. Kit includes the liner material, hardener and a gun you hook up to an air supply.
So far I have the under side stripped. Need to get the inside prepped next.

Attachment 174806

You're definitely going more in depth than me. Thanks for the tips and the pics will be coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2956350)
I sprayed mine while the tub was on the rotisserie with monstaliner and it turned out flawless. I didnt tape anything, just ran a tap down in them and roll on.

I like the idea of spraying, I just don't have the equipment. Looks like the tap and die will get some use.

On a side note I ordered my Monstaliner the night Sandy made land fall. After I placed the order I saw the company address is Long Island, NY. :facepalm:

rykemc 11-03-2012 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Lincoln33;2956387]You're definitely going more in depth than me. Thanks for the tips and the pics will be coming.

You think that is in depth, check out my build thread. LoL

Ibuildembig 11-03-2012 11:02 AM

^^^been there still finishing that lol

tim2 11-04-2012 02:20 AM

When I did my bedliner I bought some foam ear plugs and put them in every bolt hole prior to painting the liner in. Once it was dried I cut the around the ear plug and pulled them out. Every bolt went right back in without an issue.

jedg 11-04-2012 05:21 AM

+1 on this method. I did the same and it worked great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim2 (Post 2958377)
When I did my bedliner I bought some foam ear plugs and put them in every bolt hole prior to painting the liner in. Once it was dried I cut the around the ear plug and pulled them out. Every bolt went right back in without an issue.

harleydragon 11-04-2012 07:08 AM

we have a huge box with old bolts so when we do ours it is not a problem to find the correct size to screw in all the threaded holes ..this is just the quickest way for us to do it but if you want to take the time and especially if your jeep has any age on it then running a tap down in them is not a bad idea

Lincoln33 11-04-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim2 (Post 2958377)

May do this instead of taping and then tap if I need to.

Thanks for all the input guys. I heard from Monstaliner last night, my order wont be shipped until Wednesday or later due to the storm and power outage. It'll be at least another week or so before I get back on this. I'll get some pics and post.

CPLSeraphim 11-04-2012 08:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I was just curious what your jeep looks like now? I used monstaliner, and it made a heck of a difference, granted many more upgrades, but monstaliner can revitalize a worn crappy looking jeep.
Attachment 175087
How I got it
Attachment 175088
Prepwork
Attachment 175089
paint
Attachment 175090
finished.

Just wanna see some before and after pics with what you are doing.

CPLSeraphim 11-04-2012 09:02 AM

Sorry, totally forgot you were doing the inside, not the outside, and can't edit...

Nas.a7x 11-04-2012 10:23 AM

The ear plug idea is genius. But I usually take the bolt that came out of the hole or one longer and tape off the threads all but a 1/4 inch of the end and thread it in till the tape gets to the threads of the hole it a bit further so after its painted just pull the bolt and ur Google to go.

0III0forlife 11-04-2012 11:49 AM

The ear plug idea is the way to go. You need the ones that are the square cut foam, not the ones that are connected together with a plastic cord. Those are too soft and tear away too easy when you try and remove them.

I have used the foam ear plugs to seal off holes on many different paint jobs. Just cut around them with a razorblade knife and twist them out when you are done.

gentledragon 11-06-2012 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Taped off old bolts we had to the side in big box....Worked great, I did this job myself.............

AZ_Zoner 11-06-2012 01:47 PM

Will 1 gallon be enough to do a YJ tub? Can you roll on the big areas and buy one of there cheap spray guns to do the tight areas?Is there any advantage of putting down a thicker coat or multiple coats to get a thicker layer? I'm think about do this soon as on another thread someone said there was a free shipping code.

thanks for any info.

Craig

Ibuildembig 11-06-2012 01:49 PM

I did my entire floor, halfway up the firewall and entire rollcage that has extra tubes with 1 gallon and we rolled it all

harleydragon 11-06-2012 01:56 PM

the one pictured above is my wife's..she did 2 coats of everything inside and had just a little left over out of a gallon..she rolled the large flat areas and brushed the hard to get to areas

Cowboy17 11-06-2012 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished my tub (Raptor liner but same concept).

Used foam earplugs from work to plug the medium holes (Roll bar, seat, seatbelt).
Used q-tips cut in half at the middle of the stick to plug small screw holes (wire retainers, door pins, shift boot etc)
Used balled up tape for the drainplugs.

All came out with no issue and all bolts and screws back in with no issue.

Here is a pic of it prepped right before I shot the Raptor Liner.

AZ_Zoner 11-06-2012 05:47 PM

Think it would hurt or help if you were to prime the surfaces after you prepped them?

cb

Cowboy17 11-06-2012 10:23 PM

I over prepped and ended up down to bear metal in several areas.
These area's were all primed and then sanded a little.

Other areas were rusted and after wire brush and some wire wheel work, they were sprayed with rust reformer and then were primed as well.

Everything seems to have adhered consistently.
I guess only time will tell.

Keeter6227 11-07-2012 06:40 PM

Loving this thread

toonhead 11-08-2012 12:14 AM

I'll be doing duplicolor Kevlar tomorrow in the tub. Has anyone worked with that brand?

toonhead 11-08-2012 02:30 PM

Weather reports has forced me to delay

Lincoln33 11-09-2012 08:22 PM

The Monstaliner kit arrived by UPS ground today, gonna start pulling the rest of the interior in a couple days.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...6/3/0/9/m1.jpg

Lincoln33 11-09-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0III0forlife (Post 2959171)
The ear plug idea is the way to go. You need the ones that are the square cut foam, not the ones that are connected together with a plastic cord. Those are too soft and tear away too easy when you try and remove them.

I have used the foam ear plugs to seal off holes on many different paint jobs. Just cut around them with a razorblade knife and twist them out when you are done.

I went to Lowes and Home Depot and didn't find any "square" plugs but I did get the cordless ones they had.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...6/3/0/9/m3.jpg