Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

anyone have installation guide/DIY for backup camera 2013 JKU?

24K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Jeepocolypse 
#1 ·
I'm looking to do this mod soon and need some information. I did not purchase lockpick but I'm going with the commander backup camera option.
(looks like the commander backup camera kit comes with camera, harness that hooks up to the back of the headunit(NAVI) and all the wiring..)

I think i should be able to do the installation but has anyone done this and if so, do you have any information for the mod to go smoothly?(what not to do, or important steps?) more of how to, step by step, possibly pictures? :doh:

i've searched and it looks like i have to run a starscan after the installation to enable the camera function on the navi. anyone in the VA area that has done this that can recommend a dealer or shop?

thanks a bunch in advance!

#5 ·
i got my inspiration from this post:

"If you are just looking for the camera, the commander back up camera part # 82211293 works. We have been adding them to a few of our in stock Wrangler Unlimiteds an mounting in the rear bumper. The spare is barely seen at the very top." by Pat@fieldsauto.com.

and this post:

I am researching this now. There are quite a few people on other Chrysler forums with the same nab radios doing this mod.

You do NOT need the Lockpic/NavTV to add just the back up camera function-just the camera. It does not just work after being hooked up. It requires the dealer to reprogram the appropriate accessory function as being installed with the VIN to activate the radio to display the video in reverse. I do not know if it will work with a manual transmission at this time, the vehicles the add on is made for are all automatic only (Commander and Grand Cherokee) and the forums I have browsed so far, all the installations were on automatic vehicles (not Grand Cherokees or Commanders) with the appropriate radios.

These install instructions display what the dealer has to program.

K6869457.PDF

with this PDF, i was able to get the basic idea.

then got the detailed instructions from DrHude from other forum, but basically:
I finished my install of my Mopar #82211293 backup camera and it works great. I installed everything last weekend and then took it to the dealer to have the accessory turned on.
I was due for an oil change so I had the dealer do that while I was there and they turned on the camera for free, A great dealer. When they were done I would get a dark screen that said "Check Your Surroundings" so I knew they had it turned on but that I must have something wrong. I went home and after a little bit of diognostic work found that I did not have the terminals properly seated in the camera connector. You have to remove or slide forward the red plastic cover on the connector end that goes into the camera to get the terminals fully seated (you will feel them snap into place), then reinstall red cover to lock them in place. I also had to drill out the #6 opening in the connector cover, it had a plastic barrier in the way. I dissassembled the connector to prevent damaging the internals while drilling. I mounted my camera in an electrical hobby box so that I could move the camera out a little and angle it down to get the spare tire out of the picture. You can see by the picture it worked. I realize that this location makes the camera a little more vulnerable but I use a 3" drop receiver and you can clearly see the ball so if you pay attention while hooking up there shouldn't be a problem. I can also confirm that on the white
C3 radio connector you use terminals 3, 4, and 5. You count the big terminal opening on the end as #1 and the the second small opening is #3 (camera signal). #4 is camera return and #5 is for the sheild wire. I really appreciate every ones posts on this project, it really made it easier for me, the only thing that tripped me up was the camera connector pin issue, other than that it was a piece of cake.

photo1.JPGphoto[1].jpgphoto[2.jpg

hope this helps.

#7 · (Edited)
Just about done with mine. I started this morning by taking the Jeep to the dealer and having them turn the feature on. So here is my story. I have not wired it in place yet, but this is the basic installation.

Part number that I used was 82211346. I purchased it on ebay for a little over $100.00. From what I can tell, it is identical to 82211293.

I wanted an OEM type finish so I took the bumper measure center and made a 2nd measure just to be sure. Drilled with a 1" hole saw and trimmed it just a little bit with a drimmel tool.

The 1" hole is just about tight enough to hold the camera. I had to trim just a little bit so it is still snug, but mostly to remove the stray plastic.

The aluminum strip is a piece I had left over from building a cargo trailer out for my RC Planes. I added 2 pieces of the heavy duty 3M hook and loop tape to add keep the camera from resting against the aluminum. There is enough pressure on it to keep the camera from coming out. It only took me about an hour to pull the bumper off and mount the camera.

I have also attached the picture of the camera with reverse on. Its exactly where it needs to be. I am using it mostly for my trailer and boat so it is perfect to line up the trailer hitch.

If anyone knows where to connect the lead coming out of the back of radio to the reverse power on...that information would be helpful. For the test..I just ran it to the battery.

Attachments

#8 ·
Finished wiring it in. On the 2013 JKU the reverse is definitely the white wire with gray tracer. Checked it with the volt meter and spliced into the wire down the passenger kick panel. There are two ground nuts under the passenger side kick panel. I ran the ground to that. and taped up the wire harness. There was about 10 feet of extra cable so wound that up and tucked in the back of the jeep on the passenger side rail underneath the carpet. Camera works perfectly. Now that being said. I have read some threads where the plug the camera needed to be drilled out. That was not the case for the part number i used. I did it per instructions and it works perfectly.

#13 ·
Hey guys i am about to do this instal tomorrow! I have a question with the wiring diagrams? I downloaded the PDF and can figure out that which wires plug Into the camera but I am unsure what plugs into the back of the radio? I have a black and white wire and a white green wire that are separate from 3 other wires? Not sure where these go Into the back of the 430n??

#14 ·
To the OP, I'm adding this camera as I type. Where do the two wires (one black & one white) off the harness that plugs into the NAV unit get connected to? Thanks! -Jeff

#17 ·
OK, I read the instructions a bit better. The black wire gets grounded (obviously, lol), and the white (w/ Light Green Stripe) gets tapped into the reverse light wire. I ran down the passenger side and zip tied the harness to an existing vehicle harness above the Glove Compartment. It drops down to the right side of the foot well and runs back along the existing wiring harness. It'll be Zip Tied every few inches. I haven't gotten to the back yet. But, I did get the NAV & dash reinstalled and back together.

#18 ·
I was able to get it all hooked up and turned on by the dealer! Just make sure when you go to the dealer that the sales code is xac that is added to the Chrysler website and after they do the tipm you are good to go! I had to drill out the #6 hole in the harnes that connects to the camera. The wiring instruction are not to clear but there are picks of the c3 plug that shows the correct way the wires go into the plug. The reverse wire is on the passenger side and is a white wire with tan line! Took me about 5 hrs to install, most of that time was scouring the sites to see pics of how the wires go into the harness plugs. Also make sure the wires click into the harness...... On the camera plug I had to pull off the red clip for it to snap in....... Good luck!!!! Now with the camera makes it easy to pack up to a trailer!!!

#20 ·
I've been planning on going with the Mopar kit on my 2014 JKUR. Today I spoke to a local dealer (I asked him to quote me kit cost and installation cost) and he told me that the 2013 and 2014 are not compatible. He said he did some research and contacted Mopar parts supply. Not sure what could have changed so I'll have to wait until I can find out if it's true or when they release a kit for 2014.

#21 ·
I know it isn't necessary, but I used Lockpick V.5 because I'm lazy and I like the added features. A double press of the Uconnect button turn my rear camara (or side cameras, or baby cam) on at anytime.

#22 ·
I went NavTV- no need (or cost) for dealer starscan. Customer service was exceptional. They wired in a relay in the harness for me so it was plug and play other than drilling out a hold for the camera in the bumper, running wires to the head unit and us some RV goop to seal everything up. Love it and have had ZERO problems. I really do like being able to activate the camera whenever I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.