Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Finally get to have my own shop,help me out with good idea's to improve it! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/finally-get-to-have-my-own-shop-help-me-out-with-good-ideas-to-improve-it-198698.html)

thatguy69 11-10-2012 08:49 PM

Finally get to have my own shop,help me out with good idea's to improve it!

so im buying a house that comes with a 24x48 pole barn with a concrete floor:dance:.im pretty happy about it but im looking to you guys on tips/tricks to get it setup right as far as work benches and what not.plus whats some things you guys do for security?

805lraquino74 11-10-2012 09:31 PM

First let me say congrats on the dream space. Start with the layout, definetly take the time and draw out a couple of different designs. My space is 24x24 so maximizing it was very important. I even got halfway through building some benches before i changed my mind. What worked great was getting a roll of blue painters tape and tape off areas where work benches and toolboxes might be, then drive your jeep in and visualize working on it. As far as security, a couple of very protective pitbulls with bad people skills and youre set. No seriously, an alarm with a motion sensor.

thatguy69 11-10-2012 09:49 PM

Thanks a lot.yeah the painters tape sounds like a great idea.I do in fact have two very obedient protective pitbulls but I don't think I'll be keeping them out there.I plan on a couple motion lights and a baby monitor to put in the garage and have the receiver by my bed.my friend did this and says he can dam near here a spider walk.what's the best /cheapest/ most efficient lighting? I'm not worried about keeping the whole shop lit up bright, just my workspace and main bay

Johnnymoto 11-11-2012 11:55 AM

One thing is VERY important is a/c receptacles. Put as many as you can, and all in a high level so you dont have to move stuff or bend to reach them. Put them on top of the benches at the side edges, so they are not covered by tools and toolboxes. Build tough benches with raw solid heavy wood on the tops, that way you can work on them without caring about scratching them. Also ilumination is much needed, put as much natural light as you can. Plan for space for cabinets for tools and materials. Make sure the floor is not slippery, smooth, but never slippery. Plan for a specific place for each tool, and label and shadow the places, that way you know where eveything goes an don`t waste time looking or digging for stuff. Plan an area for miscelaneous little stuff like nuts and bolts. And if you can, get a small fridge and find a place for it, and keep cold beer for us and invite us to watch you work and drink your beer :D !!!
Well, CONGRATS and remember to ALWAYS USE GOOD STANDS for lifting your vehicles !!!

thatguy69 11-11-2012 06:33 PM

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming guys.pictures work to

Raiderfan001 11-11-2012 06:36 PM

Beer fridge and TV/radio first. The rest is secondary.

thatguy69 11-11-2012 07:05 PM

I figure with a TV I'll really get nothing done.beer and radio I already got lol.

cavediverjc 11-11-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnymoto (Post 2982180)
One thing is VERY important is a/c receptacles. Put as many as you can, and all in a high level so you dont have to move stuff or bend to reach them. Put them on top of the benches at the side edges, so they are not covered by tools and toolboxes. Build tough benches with raw solid heavy wood on the tops, that way you can work on them without caring about scratching them. Also ilumination is much needed, put as much natural light as you can. Plan for space for cabinets for tools and materials. Make sure the floor is not slippery, smooth, but never slippery. Plan for a specific place for each tool, and label and shadow the places, that way you know where eveything goes an don`t waste time looking or digging for stuff. Plan an area for miscelaneous little stuff like nuts and bolts. And if you can, get a small fridge and find a place for it, and keep cold beer for us and invite us to watch you work and drink your beer :D !!!
Well, CONGRATS and remember to ALWAYS USE GOOD STANDS for lifting your vehicles !!!

^^^^VERY good advice.
To the OP, I really have nothing to add other than kudos on getting a sweet setup! And, of course, I'll request pics as well... :D We love pics! :thumb:

solman 11-12-2012 07:10 PM

When I built my garage I spent a lot of time with graph paper drawing out several different layouts, then use tape as mentioned above to see how it looks on the shop floor. Do yourself a favor and put your air compressor in a seperate room if possible. It's great not hearing it run :)

805lraquino74 11-13-2012 08:38 PM

Speaking of electrical, once your layout is figured out make sure your electrical panal can handle the load of everything your going to run. I also agree with putting compressor in different room. Maybe build a room just for it. You can also run a sub panel in it as well. Kinda like a mechanical room.

Radioman 11-13-2012 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Johnnymoto;2982180]... And if you can, get a small fridge and find a place for it, and keep cold beer for us and invite us to watch you work and drink your beer :D !!! QUOTE]

Add a urinal... :)