Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Gear and Pinion Rear differential problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/gear-and-pinion-rear-differential-problems-198789.html)

tcate23-WRANGLER 11-11-2012 01:20 PM

Gear and Pinion Rear differential problems
 
Hey guys,
Heard some clanking and whining from my rear differential. Opened it up and checked it out. I attached some pictures to understand better, but the bolts that hold the differential case to the ring somehow broke out to where several holes have have the bolt stuck in and I have no idea how to get them out. Any help is much appreciated.

tcate23-WRANGLER 11-11-2012 02:45 PM

Bump

tcate23-WRANGLER 11-11-2012 04:17 PM

Forgot the pictures.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...e23/photo1.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...te23/photo.jpg

mike481 11-11-2012 04:18 PM

I don't see any attached pictures. Am I missing something?????

Thomas302 11-11-2012 04:27 PM

You have to pull the carrier out and pull the ring gear off and then drill and ez out the bolt if it is stuck in there. Just keep track of where everything is when you take it apart including where the ring gear is on the carrier and put everything back where it was and it will go back together just fine.

tcate23-WRANGLER 11-11-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike481 (Post 2982907)
I don't see any attached pictures. Am I missing something?????

sorry they are there now i think, attached them late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas302 (Post 2982939)
You have to pull the carrier out and pull the ring gear off and then drill and ez out the bolt if it is stuck in there. Just keep track of where everything is when you take it apart including where the ring gear is on the carrier and put everything back where it was and it will go back together just fine.

Ok i figured as much thank you. I removed the u shaped things from each side but can't get it off. What else do i need to remove?

BLK00TJ 11-11-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcate23-WRANGLER (Post 2984217)
sorry they are there now i think, attached them late.



Ok i figured as much thank you. I removed the u shaped things from each side but can't get it off. What else do i need to remove?

Don't get the case straps mixed up. They have to go back on the same side and in the same orientation that they came off. I'm not sure why, but I remember that when I took my D30 apart for a locker install. To get the case out, you'll have to persuade it with a small crow bar and tap it with a hammer. there's a few youtube videos out there going over locker installs that show that step.

amiller 11-11-2012 09:13 PM

Put the axle on jackstands. You are going to have to remove the spider gears, and c clips to remove the axle shafts from the carrier first. The carrier should pop out ofhehousing with a little persuasion after that. To remove the spider gears there is a small bolt in the carrier that holds the cross shaft in(8mm. IIRC). remove that and slide the cross shaft pin out. rotate the carrier and the spiders will come out. DON'T lose the thrust washers. next give a small push inward on the axle shaft. That will allow the c-clips a bit of room to be removed. Next, remove the side gears from inside the diff(keep them oriented the same way for going back in). should be some thrust washers behind them too(once again keep oriented correctly). pull axles out of the carrier. now pull the carrier and get to work on the ring gear bolts.

tcate23-WRANGLER 11-11-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiller (Post 2984366)
Put the axle on jackstands. You are going to have to remove the spider gears, and c clips to remove the axle shafts from the carrier first. The carrier should pop out ofhehousing with a little persuasion after that. To remove the spider gears there is a small bolt in the carrier that holds the cross shaft in(8mm. IIRC). remove that and slide the cross shaft pin out. rotate the carrier and the spiders will come out. DON'T lose the thrust washers. next give a small push inward on the axle shaft. That will allow the c-clips a bit of room to be removed. Next, remove the side gears from inside the diff(keep them oriented the same way for going back in). should be some thrust washers behind them too(once again keep oriented correctly). pull axles out of the carrier. now pull the carrier and get to work on the ring gear bolts.

Do i need to take out the axle shafts? So from what I am understanding, i take off the c clips that are off in the picture and persuade the carrier out? Thanks everyone for the help trying to get it back on the rode asap

amiller 11-11-2012 10:53 PM

You must remove the axle shafts or the carrier will NOT come out. you currently only have the carrier bearing straps off in the pictures. You need to go way further into the axle if you want to remove the carrier. See this link...http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showt...mple-Write-up?

Buz 1 11-11-2012 11:27 PM

i wouldn't attempt without a fsm & a camera. take lots of shots.. not that much to it though..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.