Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   I need a 2wd beginner bunny trail for a group. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/i-need-a-2wd-beginner-bunny-trail-for-a-group-198921.html)

Gunner 11-12-2012 12:35 AM

I need a 2wd beginner bunny trail for a group.

I have a bunch of friends, "go figure" Anyway they are interested in the off road experience. Most of them are older and have SUV's with single wheel drive. I am looking for a nice fire road up in the mountains. Something really easy. Maybe a 3 to 4 hour run on Nov 24th. See some trees and some rocks. Maybe cross a creek. My Jedi master level trail boss is off hiking the yukon or maybe it's the Amazon that weekend so I am left with a "find a trail and do it" message from him. I am such a Noob. I don't know the trails. But I have an IPad 3 and google maps which has all the trails on it in realtime. I just have to watch the little blue pin follow the trail and turn when it tells me to. So what is a really safe road for maybe 8 to 10 trucks?

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner
I have a bunch of friends, "go figure" Anyway they are interested in the off road experience. Most of them are older and have SUV's with single wheel drive. I am looking for a nice fire road up in the mountains. Something really easy. Maybe a 3 to 4 hour run on Nov 24th. See some trees and some rocks. Maybe cross a creek. My Jedi master level trail boss is off hiking the yukon or maybe it's the Amazon that weekend so I am left with a "find a trail and do it" message from him. I am such a Noob. I don't know the trails. But I have an IPad 3 and google maps which has all the trails on it in realtime. I just have to watch the little blue pin follow the trail and turn when it tells me to. So what is a really safe road for maybe 8 to 10 trucks?

Crab Flats Road becomes Holcomb Valley Road and crosses the Creek a couple of times. It starts off Green Valley Road just off the 18/330 outside of Arrowbear, and will take you all the way to Fawnskin. It's a couple hour drive, and it's Gorgeous.

BostonJohn 11-12-2012 12:49 AM

You could try Indian Truck Trail... there should be an exit right off the 15

Gunner 11-12-2012 12:52 AM

Thanks guys I will look them up.

Aftahour 11-12-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonJohn (Post 2985365)
You could try Indian Truck Trail... there should be an exit right off the 15

it can be closed.. there is skyline drive in corona wich connects to the main divide 74hwy in elsinor. there is also bee canyon in hemet. you can also pull off and fire a few rounds!!:dance: blm land

Rommelx3 11-12-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aftahour (Post 2985537)
it can be closed.. there is skyline drive in corona wich connects to the main divide 74hwy in elsinor. there is also bee canyon in hemet. you can also pull off and fire a few rounds!!:dance: blm land

would you happen to know where I can acquire a map that shows where all the blm land is? didn't mean to hijack sorry Bob! :thumb:

DaK 11-12-2012 06:24 AM

McIntire cabin up here in Red Rock canyon. Easy road, cabin at the end, then you could scoot over to Robber's roost, then cross the 14, go to Burro Schmidt Tunnel, then Bickel Camp, stop at the Borax Mines, and then... OOOPS was that last chance. "My bad" Or if you want to stretch it out, Colorado Camp, Holland camp, Goler Gulch (not it is not hard, there is ONE tight spot and by tight I mean parking space tight by jeep standards a joke), that will put you on Garlock road. Great run for n00bs to get their feet, err tires dirty.

At least this way they get to see some sites.

What is it you mean by "trucks" anyways?

Gunner 11-12-2012 11:09 AM

Toyota Sequoia's, F350 Crewcabs. Dang near peterbuilts.

Aftahour 11-12-2012 11:27 AM

There is a Blm map somewhere on the net. Once I remember I'll post up link.

BillG.OTD 11-12-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 2985347)
Crab Flats Road becomes Holcomb Valley Road and crosses the Creek a couple of times. It starts off Green Valley Road just off the 18/330 outside of Arrowbear, and will take you all the way to Fawnskin. It's a couple hour drive, and it's Gorgeous.

Bob, I would definetely agree with Rob's sugestion. It sounds just like what you are looking for. Those are big verhicles, but this trail is well cared for and provides some great views and water crossings!

2013jeepjk 11-12-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012

Is that the road right before crab flats camp ground ??

Gunner 11-12-2012 11:38 AM

Thanks I have maps. I'm going to check out the Crab Flats drive.

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

I think you'll find that it meets all of your aforementioned criteria. And it's a Beautiful drive. Can't go wrong. Enjoy.

949OC 11-12-2012 01:05 PM

Cleghorn and Pilot Rock over to Willow Creek are easy trails with scenery too. There's a water crossing. Not sure how deep it is right now though. Just stay on the fire roads and away from 2N17x.

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Screw it! Take them to Calico Bob! That should hook them. Or make them pee themselves. Either way is good. Lol

hwy1rubi 11-12-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 949OC (Post 2987158)
Cleghorn and Pilot Rock over to Willow Creek are easy trails with scenery too. There's a water crossing. Not sure how deep it is right now though. Just stay on the fire roads and away from 2N17x.

+1

What I was going to suggest. Cleghorn and all of Pilot Rock is easy if you stay on the fire roads, and skip the side trails.

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwy1rubi

+1

What I was going to suggest. Cleghorn and all of Pilot Rock is easy if you stay on the fire roads, and skip the side trails.

Not nearly as pretty as Crab Flats Rd. Just saying.

Gunner 11-12-2012 05:57 PM

I think I will pre run the Crab Flats route first then the Cleghorn.

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

I think I will pre run the Crab Flats route first then the Cleghorn.

Well there you go then.

Gunner 11-12-2012 06:04 PM

Yeah do it on a weekday. Won't be crowded that way. I can just mosey along.

RadarRob2012 11-12-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Sounds good. I guarantee you'll love the Crab Flats Road run. Creek crossings, big pines, and lots of switchbacks. Just a great fire road. Let me know what you think of it. I might have to go up there myself here pretty soon, now that I'm thinking about it. Lol

tom h 11-12-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 2985322)

Forest Route 3S04 off the Ortega Highway in the Cleveland National Forest. Drive north and do a loop descending via Indian Truck Trail. It passes through some rugged valleys with nice vistas. Be sure to go before rainy season as I expect some of these roads close when wet and or snowy.

Lots more easy stuff in San Diego, where I live. Send a reply or message if you want some guidance further south.

DaK 11-12-2012 08:12 PM

WOW land yachts AHOY... welp belay my last and all that other nautical jibber jabber.

On the road to McIntire they would kink the sides of those yachts as the road is extremely toight.

DaK 11-12-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 2987434)
Screw it! Take them to Calico Bob! That should hook them. Or make them pee themselves. Either way is good. Lol

Eh, take the barges to Bull Frog. Once you breach Chicken Rock your review will be clear.

2013jeepjk 11-12-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 2988303)

let me know what day i might wanna mosey along with you if u dont mind ..

Gunner 11-12-2012 08:25 PM

I will let you know. I want to keep it local and green in the mountains. I am trying to hustle up business for Rob.

RadarRob2012 11-13-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

I will let you know. I want to keep it local and green in the mountains. I am trying to hustle up business for Rob.

Thanks Bob, I could use some help this time of year. Lol. I'm not sure how local Crab Flats Rd. is for You, but it's Def Green. And a Beautiful drive. There's even a short section overlooking the 2003 burn area. Wicked cool looking.

02sporttj 11-13-2012 11:10 AM

I would also like to tag along Gunner if that would be okay. Will just depend which day and work.

JeepHerz 11-13-2012 12:52 PM

Make sure to check the big hill on Cleghorn for big truck clearance while you're mosey-ing. (I am up for a mosey too.) Easy for Jeeps but I've seen a Pathfinder, a Tacoma and a Raptor struggle on the "easy" bypass to the right because of size and tires. That F350 will be a tight squeeze if he can't make the center run.

Gunner 11-13-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom h (Post 2988424)
Forest Route 3S04 off the Ortega Highway in the Cleveland National Forest. Drive north and do a loop descending via Indian Truck Trail. It passes through some rugged valleys with nice vistas. Be sure to go before rainy season as I expect some of these roads close when wet and or snowy.

Lots more easy stuff in San Diego, where I live. Send a reply or message if you want some guidance further south.

Thanks Tom I'll keep it in mind. That's one of the trails I want to explore sometime. If I get a weekday run for the easy one I will post it up. Had something come up for my John Bull initiation and had to reschedule. But usually Tuesday and Wednesday I can go local.