Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Calico Doran Scenic Loop 25NOV12 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/calico-doran-scenic-loop-25nov12-199323.html)

DaK 11-13-2012 08:25 PM

Calico Doran Scenic Loop 25NOV12

*** Be advised to check this post often as items such as location and times may have changed*****

Meet at Penny's 0830 for breakfast, then to the trail.

Have a military member currently serving overseas that will be back on leave during this period and wants to wheel his rig while he is back. This was one of the trails he chose to do.

Hopefully we can get a nice turn out.

DaK

Oh, I will have a n00b in the passenger seat. If anything come on out just to hear him girl scream.

Attending:
DaK
ChuckMRN
RadarRob
JeeperDave49

Maybe:
Joebot13(hopin ya get your tires mang)

2013jeepjk 11-13-2012 11:25 PM

im a maybe :wavey:

RadarRob2012 11-14-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013jeepjk
im a maybe :wavey:

Is this on the 25th of this month? If so, if I can figure out a way, I'll be there. If I'm not at Peggy Sue's by 9:00 am, I won't be coming.

RadarRob2012 11-14-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012

Is this on the 25th of this month? If so, if I can figure out a way, I'll be there. If I'm not at Peggy Sue's by 9:00 am, I won't be coming.

Sorry, didn't read all of the thread name. Duh... Still planning on it though.

castman2 11-14-2012 01:28 AM

I'm interested. Been a yr since I've been there.

WOKNROX 11-14-2012 01:49 PM

Hey DaK r u going up Doran?....please!....and down Odessa ...so much more fun that direction ...
O....and Penny's Dinner between the Arco gas station & the Oak tree inn has WAY better food....IMO..

Jerry Bransford 11-14-2012 04:21 PM

You guys doing the Gatekeeper at Doran's opening?

jeeperdave49 11-14-2012 08:20 PM

If the grandkids leave on the 24th, i'd like to join you. Penny's diner is better than Peggy Sues, but smaller. Dave

DaK 11-15-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeperdave49 (Post 2997113)
If the grandkids leave on the 24th, i'd like to join you. Penny's diner is better than Peggy Sues, but smaller. Dave

I am up for Penny's.

Now, how do I contact a mod so I can edit my original post.

DaK 11-15-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 2995604)
Hey DaK r u going up Doran?....please!....and down Odessa ...so much more fun that direction ...
O....and Penny's Dinner between the Arco gas station & the Oak tree inn has WAY better food....IMO..

Yes, Up Doran, down Odessa... I like that way better as well. So we are all on the same page

This is the loop I plan to run:

Map of Doran/Odessa Loop 4x4 Trail, California | EveryTrail

In a clockwise manner. That is, using this maps waypoints, 1,2,3,7,8 and so on back to the start.

Verified the link, brings up the big man for "old" people to see

DaK 11-15-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2996080)

Jerry, the way I go in the Gatekeeper is at the end. We can and will stop there if people wish to attempt the Gatekeeper. Always a good show. To me it is better to do this at the end so if people want to go home or whatever they can and if someome breaks or damages themselves on it the whole day isn't spent on recovery.

Jerry Bransford 11-15-2012 09:51 AM

Going down Gatekeeper is certainly a better option with the way it is now. Going up is not for the faint-of-heart. I've gone up the Gatekeeper 4-5 times but that was years ago... it's a totally changed beast now. I won't even consider trying to go up it now.

yomondo 11-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 2998179)
how do I contact a mod so I can edit my original post.

Click the "report post" icon on the bottom left of the first post, which will send a message to all the mods. In the message, request edit privilege to the first post. That's how I do it.

yomondo 11-15-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2998700)
Going down Gatekeeper is certainly a better option with the way it is now. Going up is not for the faint-of-heart. I've gone up the Gatekeeper 4-5 times but that was years ago... it's a totally changed beast now. I won't even consider trying to go up it now.

About a year ago a friend of mine went up and down the gatekeeper and he felt it was scarier going down. I still want to go up the gatekeeper, but I would want a spotter who I know and trust and communicate well with and who knows the gatekeeper (in its current form) well. Problem is only one or two people fit that description, and I rarely wheel with them. I wish I had done it a year ago when I had the chance, but it was at the end of the day and I was getting tired and it was taking a half hour per vehicle to get through the gatekeeper.

JoeBot13 11-15-2012 03:13 PM

I'm a maybe ...

I went up Odessa last time ... would like to try it going down ... but between Big Bear this weekend and Last Chance on the 1st ... I might have my quota filled (plus I don't want to break anything before Last Chance)

But definitely a maybe ...

yomondo 11-15-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 2999709)
I went up Odessa last time ... would like to try it going down

Going up Odessa is definitely more fun than going down Odessa, but going up Doran is way waaay more fun than going down Doran. I wouldn't want to go up Odessa with my hard top on though. Too much risk of smacking it on the wall going up the 50/50 Slot. I came pretty close once a few years ago. I slid off my line, nearly all the way into the wall.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/t...050_slot_2.jpg

JoeBot13 11-15-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 2999784)
Going up Odessa is definitely more fun than going down Odessa, but going up Doran is way waaay more fun than going down Doran. I wouldn't want to go up Odessa with my hard top on though. Too much risk of smacking it on the wall going up the 50/50 Slot. I came pretty close once a few years ago. I slid off my line, nearly all the way into the wall.

XJMAN1 saved my hardtop in that slot while spotting me ... we were able to turn it away with about 3-4" from the wall to spare ...

Xjman1 11-15-2012 08:03 PM

Haha, that was a close one. Good times, good times. Next time Doran.

RadarRob2012 11-15-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xjman1
Haha, that was a close one. Good times, good times. Next time Doran.

That's right, you guys weren't there for Fridays run up Doran and up the Rock Garden offshoot on the left right before the waterfall. Yeah, Good Times.

DaK 11-15-2012 08:12 PM

If that is the spot I think it is, we normally go down that and have not ever had a problem any of the rigs spotted through it.

Xjman1 11-15-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 3000858)
That's right, you guys weren't there for Fridays run up Doran and up the Rock Garden offshoot on the left right before the waterfall. Yeah, Good Times.

Nope, your group went the week after. Have not done Doran in years, but if my XJ on 32's could do it the lil TJ on 31's should be able to.

RadarRob2012 11-15-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xjman1

Nope, your group went the week after. Have not done Doran in years, but if my XJ on 32's could do it the lil TJ on 31's should be able to.

You'll be fine. We took a stock JKU Sport through Odessa, and all he had was sliders. Although we did leave his bumper on Wall Street. Lol

Xjman1 11-15-2012 08:50 PM

I have no worries. I do not like to overbuild thus keep the Jeeps on the small side to most folks requirements, and have no issues using the armor either.

DaK 11-15-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2996080)

Jerry ya comin? Was a blast wheelin with ya on Jon Bull.

DaK

Cons_Table 11-15-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo

We watched a land cruiser smash out his rear side window here at Jeff's last meet and greet at this spot.

yomondo 11-15-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 3001555)
We watched a land cruiser smash out his rear side window here at Jeff's last meet and greet at this spot.

Was that the same group of beer drinkers, one of which who gunned it at the narrow shelf road, nearly going off the side of the cliff?

JoeBot13 11-15-2012 11:27 PM

haha ... I think I've seen video of that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWdkEXKNJo

JPi1 11-15-2012 11:33 PM

Our group was running the trail at the same time those Land Rover guys were, I watched that live, I couldn't believe he didn't roll it!

Cons_Table 11-15-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo

Was that the same group of beer drinkers, one of which who gunned it at the narrow shelf road, nearly nearly going off the side of the cliff?

Sure was...:nonono:

Cons_Table 11-15-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1
Our group was running the trail at the same time those Land Rover guys were, I watched that live, I couldn't believe he didn't roll it!

That's right. I forget u were tailin the group I was in.