Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   I think I have too many lights now...HELP (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/i-think-i-have-too-many-lights-now-help-19966.html)

MrBash 07-17-2008 03:32 PM

I think I have too many lights now...HELP

OK here's what's going on. I ahve a 2002 TJ 4.0

I have four 100watt Lights on my light bar connected to a 30 amp relay, a 30 amp fuse and a heavy duty rocker switch.

I have two 55 wat rock lights connected to the factory fog light wires.

I have four 55watt rock lights connected to a 30 amp relay, a 15 amp fuse and a heavy duty rocker switch

Plus my two 55watt factory headlights.

Total wattage is 840 when I turn all the lights on.

I'm currently running a factory alternator with a Yellowtop battery.

I tested all the lights yesterday while the engine was on idle. Just a few minutes after, the battery voltage meter wen to approx 10 volts. I left it like that for about 10 minutes and it was still around 10 volts. When I rev'd the engine, the battery voltage meter went back up to 14 volts.

I drove the Jeep around the parking lot with all the lights on for 10 minutes and the battery voltage meter stayed at 14 volts (which is normal).

I don't want to have something burn up in the middle of the trail in the middle of the night so my question is, will my alternator coupled with the Yellow tyop battery carry this much wattage or will something fail? Should I upgrade my alternator or install a second yellow top battery? what do you guys think?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...n/0d08ed5f.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...n/8e05a5eb.jpg

nicolas-eric 07-17-2008 03:51 PM

where did you mount the offroad lights? some pics? which offroad lights do you have?

i have 2x55W driving lights, 2x 55W fog lighst and 4x 130W high beams
thats 740W and 62A.
i never had a problem with an empty battery or so.

MrBash 07-17-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 246681)
where did you mount the offroad lights? some pics? which offroad lights do you have?

i have 2x55W driving lights, 2x 55W fog lighst and 4x 130W high beams
thats 740W and 62A.
i never had a problem with an empty battery or so.

My offroad lights are on my light bar. I have the dick cepek 100 watt offroad lights.

The rock lights are rectangular 55 watt lights from pepboys. They're 21 bucks for a pair. I mounted two right behind the orange lights on the front, two right behind the front tires (under the rocker panel), one right next to the rear drive shaft (mounted to the body) and one right behind the gas tank behind the rear bumper away from possible breakage.

MrBash 07-17-2008 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I just won't light everything up at the same time until I get a stronger alternator. Another memeber suggested I use LED's for my rock lights so I won't drain as much power. Once these lights break (some day) I'll switch them to LED's and upgrade my alternator when I get the mula. Thanks for info and all the help.

What's going to happen when I get a winch?

nicolas-eric 07-17-2008 05:27 PM

donŽt use all lights and the winch at the same time.
the stock alternator has 115A or 120A says the FSM.
thatŽs enough for all lights at the same time.

iŽll put two of my high beams on my bumper and install 4 double reflector hella working lights on the light bar. on that way i can illuminate an area thats as big as a football ground.

then 1 have:

2x 55W driving lights
2x 55W fog lights
2x 130W high beams
8x 55W working lights

= 1360 W = 113A

iŽll never use all lights together (working lights are not street legal here), but i could do that...

sometimes in the future iŽll install a 200A alternator.

texasTJ4X4Nut 07-17-2008 09:23 PM

I just got 4 KC daylighter 130W offroad lights for my lightbar. I plan on getting 4 more daylighters 2 for the windshield bracket and 2 more for the new grille gaurd. I bought a 220 amp alternator from Allstart systems for around 350.00. I also got a heavier duty power cable with it. I was told that for every 1000 watts of lights I would need 70 amps of extra alternator above the normal amps to compensate for having them on. I had a stock 90 amp alternator in mine with a 4.0 engine. I also added A/C to my 98. I'm currently trying to figure out how to route the wireing for all these lights while using only 1 switch. Allstart systems number is 1-800-607-0016 they were on ebay.

MrBash 07-17-2008 09:29 PM

four 130 watt lights under one switch is going to be a tough task.

I have four 100 watt lights under one switch but that's only 400 watts vs. your 520 watts...tough job. Your going to have to run two 30 amp relays and two seperate fuses and somehow connect it all to one switch. I hope you were paying attention in science class.

603TJ 07-17-2008 09:39 PM

Is that many lights ever really needed?? I have two Hella 500 Fogs on the bumper, and Hella 500 Driving Lamps up on the windshield brackets and I've never thought that it wasn't enough... but more always looks cooler I guess! :)

MrBash 07-17-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 603TJ (Post 246867)
Is that many lights ever really needed?? I have two Hella 500 Fogs on the bumper, and Hella 500 Driving Lamps up on the windshield brackets and I've never thought that it wasn't enough... but more always looks cooler I guess! :)

It's not about needs when it comes to lights my friend. It's about the want. I want more lights. I want lights over me, under me, on the side, in the front, in the back (that don't sound right). Anyway, it's rally nice looking when you wheel through the canyons at night and on the hills. It just lights up everyting.

My Jeep is my toy....give me more light :punk:

texasTJ4X4Nut 07-17-2008 09:57 PM

Each set of daylighters comes with its own relay and fuse. on the 2 sets I have right now I will just have to connect the green wires from each set together and run them to the switch. At least that is what they told me when I called the KC place in Arizona. I plan on hooking the green wires from all the sets to one switch. I am concerned tho about over heating the switch. Good thing I have a firebottle handy. I can barely remember yesterday much less science class. I have a 20 acre place in southwest texas up in the mountains. Dirt road for 10 miles or so to my place. NO lights and 200 to 500 foot drop offs at the edge of the dirt road. I plan on putting 2 more lights in the back as well.

Triple88a 07-17-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBash (Post 246858)
four 130 watt lights under one switch is going to be a tough task.

run them all through 2 relays and 1 switch controlling both of them, you should be just fine.