Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Color matched flares (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/color-matched-flares-199943.html)

Sway Baby Sway 11-17-2012 08:36 AM

Color matched flares

1 Attachment(s)
I am really considering painting my flares to match my red tj after I saw this photo. If anyone has any input on reasons why I should or shouldn't please tell me. By the way I took the photo last night on my phone sorry about the quality haha.

Thanks everyone.

Attachment 179059

tallzdatank 11-17-2012 08:42 AM

go for it, just make sure you get the same shade red. I had a friend that did this to his grill on a car he had, and the reds weren't perfect, it looked half a$$ to say the least.

TJspeed 11-17-2012 08:44 AM

I'm not a fan of color matched flares... Black flares just look so much better to me.

Sway Baby Sway 11-17-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallzdatank
go for it, just make sure you get the same shade red. I had a friend that did this to his grill on a car he had, and the reds weren't perfect, it looked half a$$ to say the least.

My dad owns a collision shop sooooooo ya all I have to say is DAD can you paint these :-) lol

Sway Baby Sway 11-17-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed
I'm not a fan of color matched flares... Black flares just look so much better to me.

Ya thats how i was but for some reason they just pop. It looks clean thatd why I like it.

TJspeed 11-17-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sway Baby Sway

Ya thats how i was but for some reason they just pop. It looks clean thatd why I like it.

Its to much I think. It looks good with the darker colors but with the brighter ones not so much. I will admit red with matched fares looks better then yellow with matched flares.

Sway Baby Sway 11-17-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed

Its to much I think. It looks good with the darker colors but with the brighter ones not so much. I will admit red with matched fares looks better then yellow with matched flares.

Eww I havent even seen it yet but I can just picture it......

Demon 11-17-2012 08:33 PM

its personal preference, if you aren't happy with the outcome, paint them black again. I've painted several things, several colors finding what I like best.

Ebxgsxr 11-17-2012 09:47 PM

i say go for it. especially if you have the means as you stated.

GoldenSahara00 11-17-2012 09:50 PM

Everybody wants to be a Sahara these days... :thumb: :rofl: Go for it. When you bump trees the paint cracks and it's harder to touch up, ask me how I know.

Sway Baby Sway 11-17-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
Everybody wants to be a Sahara these days... :thumb: :rofl: Go for it. When you bump trees the paint cracks and it's harder to touch up, ask me how I know.

No intentions of being a sahara and I have a collision shop in the family which means free besides paint :-(

BLK00TJ 11-17-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3007288)

Mine have always matched and I don't have a Sahara
:D

blueskiesbill 11-18-2012 12:07 AM

I say go with the color match and if it doesn't make you happy then bed line them!

JeepandMud 11-18-2012 02:34 AM

I have to agree with TJspeed. I see the newer JK's with factory painted everything; hardtop, flares, etc and it's just way too much. Granted I was thinking of painting my ricochet rockers from Poison Spyder to match my jeep, but keep everything else black. Besides, black goes with everything :thumb: But who's to say you shouldn't do it? If you like it go for it, no one will stop you. May give you pros and cons, but otherwise eh, totally up to you to make it unique and to show your style.

4cylToy 11-18-2012 07:07 AM

I like my color matched flares. Besides touch up, i prefer colored flares.

dklassen 11-18-2012 07:12 AM

I have color matched flats and although I like them, I think black would look just as good or better. I didn't paint them but supposedly they were professionally painted. The down side is at least on mine, the paint is peeling on the undersides and doen't look real good.

Enemy Zero 11-18-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen (Post 3007936)
I have color matched flats and although I like them, I think black would look just as good or better. I didn't paint them but supposedly they were professionally painted. The down side is at least on mine, the paint is peeling on the undersides and doen't look real good.

Your jeep looks great with the flares like that. I really like those style flares but something always irked me about the way the back ones looked but seeing them color matched I absolutely love it. I also dig the bumpers you have. Who makes those?

dklassen 11-18-2012 07:33 AM

They are XRC's from Smittybilt. I have the matching with tire carrier in the rear as well.

I was thinking at first I liked the pocket flairs more but after looking at it for awhile I'm sticking with flats.

dale 3 11-18-2012 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Color match for the WIN!! And throw the amber directionals in the crapper.:thumb:

Sway Baby Sway 11-18-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen

I was thinking of getting the xenon 4" as well because your tj and another guy on jeepforum had a write up on them and they turned out very nice color matched.

Murray8503 11-18-2012 08:49 AM

I personally dont like the color matched. Mine are all spider webbed from bending and flexing and with the wider tires the front of my rears have been blasted with rocks do it looks like someone peppered them with a shot gun. But if its going to be a pavement pounder then no worries about all that.

Allstar Realtor 11-18-2012 09:14 AM

With a paint shop in the family, go for it! You can always change it if it's not what you expected.

Mom sold the Jeepster 11-18-2012 09:16 AM

Do they make flex agents you can add to the paint to make it more flexible and resist cracking?

Sway Baby Sway 11-18-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar Realtor
With a paint shop in the family, go for it! You can always change it if it's not what you expected.

Ya now thats what i wanna hear!

Sway Baby Sway 11-18-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom sold the Jeepster
Do they make flex agents you can add to the paint to make it more flexible and resist cracking?

Ya they do cost a lot but worth it

GoldenSahara00 11-18-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3007501)
Mine have always matched and I don't have a Sahara
:D

Dang I wonder how that happened ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sway Baby Sway (Post 3007421)
No intentions of being a sahara and I have a collision shop in the family which means free besides paint :-(

Just stating that with black flares you can just rattle can, with painted and clearcoated you have to do the actual body work to make them look nice, not to mention colors show damage more. It's a good look though :thumb:

TJspeed 11-18-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen

Those flares color matched look really good!!!

Jacqui 11-18-2012 05:22 PM

They're more maintenance than bedlined flares, but the degree of maintenance would depend upon how often and what type of offroading you do. If you don't go very often, go ahead and paint the flares. Better yet, get those 4" Xenon flatties and paint them. They're the only flares I've seen that I like painted. ;)

04sti20 11-18-2012 05:28 PM

I have an 05 lj and the factory flares came painted. I think it looks better. The unpainted flare makes it looks cheap especially when they fade. Here's a pic. I'd say do it.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...88B35BE6C1.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...71D8D5635D.jpg

4cylToy 11-18-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04sti20
The unpainted flare makes it looks cheap especially when they fade

x2!