Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   35"s with a 2.5"lift ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/35-s-with-a-2-5-lift-200021.html)

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 03:50 PM

35"s with a 2.5"lift ?
 
Will they fit? 35/12.5/15

drexel 11-17-2012 03:58 PM

Not without rubbing

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 04:03 PM

With hi-lined tube fenders yes they will, but theres more to it than just making it fit. What rear axle do you have? If its a dana 35 your gonna have to upgrade.

Jerry Bransford 11-17-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99tjinnh (Post 3006301)
Will they fit? 35/12.5/15

No, not even close. 5" of clearance is what you need to successfully run 35" tires. Any less than that will cause severe rubbing if you don't do a lot of body mods/cutting, etc.

To me, the ideal way to run 35" tires is 4" of suspension lift with a 1" body lift.

Keep in mind that Jeeps don't come from the factory prepared to run a tire that big and heavy. The standard Dana 35 rear axle isn't strong enough for 35" tires, you need something stronger in the rear like the optional Dana 44. Plus the steering isn't beefy enough, that needs to beefed up too... at least a stronger aftermarket tie rod. Finally, you'll need to regear your axles to a lower ratio so your engine will have the RPMs to be able to turn that big and heavy of a tire. Not to mention the OE brakes become marginal with that big of a tire. :)

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 04:32 PM

How do I identify what rearend I have?

Jerry Bransford 11-17-2012 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If your rear axle's differential cover is perfectly oval and has a black plastic snap-in cover for the lubricant fill hole, it's the standard Dana 35c.

If the cover is more stop-sign shaped with a steel plug in the lubricant fill hole, it is the much stronger optional/extra-cost Dana 44.

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 04:42 PM

Dana 44 then...that isnt stock for a 4.0sport is it? Thats what ive got..but its def the 44

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99tjinnh (Post 3006425)
Dana 44 then...that isnt stock for a 4.0sport is it? Thats what ive got..but its def the 44

It was an option for the sport and sahara models.

That axle will hold up to 35s as is

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 04:49 PM

Nice...what should I plan on cutting..ha

Jerry Bransford 11-17-2012 04:52 PM

Don't cut anything, just do it right the first time & get 5" of clearance around them. You can do that with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. You'll also want to regear your axles to turn that big & heavy of a tire... $1200 or so. And your stock OE tie rod won't hold up for long to that size of tire either.

Going to a 35" tire size on a Wrangler is a major step that requires several upgrades, don't kid yourself that it isn't. :)

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 04:53 PM

You could get a set of metalcloaks and not have to cut anything or you could get a set of genright hi-lines or anyother type of hi-lines and cut you hood.

With 35s your gonna have to upgrade your tie rod, your gonna want to regear and if you plan on off roading at all your gonna want to put chormolly shafts in both axles.

TJspeed 11-17-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider
You could get a set of metalcloaks and not have to cut anything or you could get a set of genright hi-lines or anyother type of hi-lines and cut you hood.

With 35s your gonna have to upgrade your tie rod, your gonna want to regear and if you plan on off roading at all your gonna want to put chormolly shafts in both axles.

Steering box and brakes as well. You'd be ok with chromolly in just the front.

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 05:12 PM

Ill start collecting parts....

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 05:13 PM

Metal cloaks?...

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99tjinnh (Post 3006512)
Metal cloaks?...

Jeep Wrangler TJ and TJ Unlimited (LJ) Tube Fenders & Body Armor

Your supposed to be able to run 35s w/o a lift

99tjinnh 11-17-2012 05:45 PM

Um...im in love with the metalcloaks...damn ...gnna be spendin some money now...thanks...ha

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99tjinnh
Um...im in love with the metalcloaks...damn ...gnna be spendin some money now...thanks...ha

Your not the only one whos in love with em :D

TJammin 11-17-2012 07:51 PM

some have mentioned upgrading the steering box with 35's. makes sense but I was curious how much life can be squeezed out of a factory box. I'm buying the metalcloak 3.5" game changer short arm kit, fenders, sye, rear drive shaft, wheels & tires in one shot and something is going to have to wait lol. I assumed as long as I stuck to uneven terrain and avoided rock crawling I'd be fine.

InvertChaos 11-17-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Don't cut anything, just do it right the first time & get 5" of clearance around them. You can do that with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. You'll also want to regear your axles to turn that big & heavy of a tire... $1200 or so. And your stock OE tie rod won't hold up for long to that size of tire either.

Going to a 35" tire size on a Wrangler is a major step that requires several upgrades, don't kid yourself that it isn't. :)

Highlined fenders and a 2.5" suspension lift wouldn't be considered doing it right?

Sahara707 11-17-2012 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm running 35's with a rubicon 3.5 lift and 1" BL, no issues.

jrussblues 11-17-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara707
I'm running 35's with a rubicon 3.5 lift and 1" BL, no issues.

I run the same set up and stuff my worn 33's to the fender.

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara707 (Post 3006917)
I'm running 35's with a rubicon 3.5 lift and 1" BL, no issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 3006941)
I run the same set up and stuff my worn 33's to the fender.

Its all about bump stops

Superdave1017 11-17-2012 08:19 PM

I run 35s with 4.88's Rpm's are a little higher running than I would like on highway.

Superdave1017 11-17-2012 08:22 PM

Oh and 4 inch lift with 3 inch body lift the body lift is more than I like also. To much sway I think

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdave1017 (Post 3006983)
I run 35s with 4.88's Rpm's are a little higher running than I would like on highway.

What are they runnin at 60mph

Superdave1017 11-17-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider

What are they runnin at 60mph

I will be doing 65 and they run about 2800 Rpm's. I only run about 5 min in highway to work and around town. Anything longer than 30 min I take another car. Just freaks me out running Rpm's higher than normal.

CMA_Rider 11-17-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdave1017 (Post 3007002)
I will be doing 65 and they run about 2800 Rpm's. I only run about 5 min in highway to work and around town. Anything longer than 30 min I take another car. Just freaks me out running Rpm's higher than normal.

Thats only about 3-400rpm more than normal, You want to be between 2k and 3200rpm when cruising on the freeway.

James 98TJ 11-17-2012 08:30 PM

or you could go with the AEV highline kit and a 2" BB and run 37s lol

Superdave1017 11-17-2012 08:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Also a Dana 44 rear end

jrussblues 11-17-2012 08:31 PM

I run on 4's with 33's with 3.73's and have no problems. I really don't want to bump stop my way down to 3's and I have no plans on doing 5's so 35's are out on the lj. I do run 35's on my cj but its built a bit different and has a 61:1 low 1st behind an angry amc 360.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.