Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rear coil problem with RK 2.5" Max Travel kit. Please help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rear-coil-problem-with-rk-2-5-max-travel-kit-please-help-200115.html)

paleh0rse 11-17-2012 11:36 PM

Alright, as some of you may or may not know, the rear springs on my recently installed RK 2.5" Max Travel kit have been completely falling out when the rear axle is fully flexed. The only working theory I have is that the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks for 4-6" lifts -- which I selected based on the recommendation of several vendors and experienced members on several forums -- are simply too long for this kit.

I'm willing to make these shocks work, though, so I just need help with a few things:

1. Is anyone else running this specific kit and shock combination on a newer JK? (Mine is a 2013 JKUR) If so, are you also experiencing the same problem? Did you solve it?

2. I contacted RK and an engineer there suggested I order the Currie JK Rear Coil Spring Retainer Kit -- so I did. Since then, I've read several threads on various forums wherein owners of newer JK's were not able to install the upper retainer included in the Currie kit. Has anyone here successfully used this kit on a 2011-2013 JK? (I plan to call Currie on Monday to discuss this, but I figured I'd ask here first).

3. Is the Currie kit really the best solution, or did the RK technician steer me wrong?

Any help or info would be much appreciated! This problem is keeping me off the trails right now, which really pisses me off, so I'm desperate to address this situation correctly.

Thanks ahead of time!

pluke the 2 11-17-2012 11:58 PM

I have the currie rear uppers installed and they work great. Teraflex also makes a rear coil spacer that acts as a guide to keep the spring from falling off the axle.

Currie is a good solution. You can also purchase limit straps and put those on. Those will definitely keep your coils in.

pluke the 2 11-18-2012 12:00 AM

But keep the shocks and make them work. That way your future is bright if you ever have the need to go to 4-6" coil springs.

paleh0rse 11-18-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
I have the currie rear uppers installed and they work great. Teraflex also makes a rear coil spacer that acts as a guide to keep the spring from falling off the axle.

Currie is a good solution. You can also purchase limit straps and put those on. Those will definitely keep your coils in.

Is this the kit you're using?
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2852

If so, what year is your Jeep? Did you have any problems installing the upper part of the kit?

pluke the 2 11-18-2012 12:26 AM

Yes.

2010. No problems with the uppers but after swapping Coil MFGs i was unable to use the lowers due to progressive coils being wound so tight on the bottom.

paleh0rse 11-18-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
Yes.

2010. No problems with the uppers but after swapping Coil MFGs i was unable to use the lowers due to progressive coils being wound so tight on the bottom.

Hmmm... I may still have problems with the upper retainers. The forum threads I've read all say that something changed in the 2011-13's that prevents access to the area above the coil, so you can't fit the bungs and nuts in there. Shit... :(

Mntdriver 11-18-2012 07:18 AM

That's why so many members here have installed the Teraflex 2.5 lift instead of the RC.

smaxberry 11-18-2012 07:43 AM

You could buy limit straps, they are pretty inexpensive IMO

paleh0rse 11-18-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mntdriver
That's why so many members here have installed the Teraflex 2.5 lift instead of the RC.

Did you mean RK (not RC)? I love everything else about this RK kit. I think this particular issue is entirely my fault due to the longer shocks I selected.

As it stands, I think I'm going to end up going with just the lower Currie retainer and some limiting straps. Wish me luck! :)

pluke the 2 11-18-2012 11:34 AM

Wish you luck