Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Bent Tie Rod. What do I do now? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/bent-tie-rod-what-do-i-do-now-200230.html)

MarcusJ 11-18-2012 07:07 PM

Bent Tie Rod. What do I do now?
 
1 Attachment(s)
So my good deed of pulling someone out of the mud ended badly for me, as my not-so-proud moment of tying the chain to the tie rod ended up like you see here. How much do these usually run? Where do I get them from? Whats my course of repair? Total cost? Can anyone tell me exactly how much I should hate my life right now? Appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance from the new guy.

-Mark

jp2611 11-18-2012 07:12 PM

looks like time for an upgrade to steering components.....and maybe TOW HOOKS for the top of the front Bumper if it doesn't already have them.

I think Quadratec will have all the parts you need...can check out Baseline4x4 also...they are driving distance for me and good people to work with

nick50471 11-18-2012 07:22 PM

Everything he said or go to a junkyard and pick on up.

BLK00TJ 11-18-2012 07:26 PM

Replace with a beefier rod from a v8 ZJ ('93-'97).

BLK00TJ 11-18-2012 07:26 PM

.. oh, and get yourself some real recovery points and read up on recovery methods.:thumb:

XKMAN 11-18-2012 07:33 PM

A new tie rod assy around $120. or junkyard as above. If from junkyard replace the ends.

TnDz TJ 11-18-2012 07:34 PM

ZJ junk at a minimum since you're at it and yea TOW POINTS for sure..

Don't forget to set your toe-in or get it aligned if you can't do it yourself...it's easy though.

UnlimitedRubicon 11-18-2012 07:39 PM

That's one hell of a first post. :eek:

Wesboy 11-18-2012 08:36 PM

If you get a tie rod from a junkyard, make sure it's straight. Take the ends off and roll it on a flat surface.
Stock tie rods are just hollow tubes - I had my replacement tierod sleeved to make it stronger, but there are beefier options out there like the previously mentioned ZJ tierod.

Tie rods can also be re-straightened but they will be weaker after straightening.

gixxerphil 11-18-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusJ (Post 3009323)
So my good deed of pulling someone out of the mud ended badly for me, as my not-so-proud moment of tying the chain to the tie rod ended up like you see here. How much do these usually run? Where do I get them from? Whats my course of repair? Total cost? Can anyone tell me exactly how much I should hate my life right now? Appreciate any help I can get, thanks in advance from the new guy.

-Mark


Read this:thumb:

ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

PDXJeeper 11-18-2012 09:55 PM

For future reference tow hooks are less expensive than tie-rods.:thumb:
You need at least one recovery point in the front and one in in the rear, minimum. First and last time this happens, I hope.

rwhitmore74 11-18-2012 10:07 PM

Can u straighten while still on the Jeep with a c clamp and a straight board? Heat with a propane torch once pressure is on it.

BLK00TJ 11-18-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwhitmore74 (Post 3010017)
Can u straighten while still on the Jeep with a c clamp and a straight board? Heat with a propane torch once pressure is on it.

A bent hollow tie rod isn't worth trying to save. If it were a v8 ZJ rod (hint, hint) that is solid, I'd straighten it out over and over until it bends when turning the wheel in the parking lot.

AirWick 11-18-2012 10:22 PM

I got an aluminum TRE for mine after I snapped it on the D/S from mudding. Purchased it from Adventurous4x4.com from the owner named Randy. Check out the website and get the contact number and speak with him, he'll gladly explain the pros/cons of the aluminum tire rod. If I were to bend mine for any reason, I could straighten it back out...easily. Good luck.

rwhitmore74 11-18-2012 11:27 PM

I am the second owner and don't know if mine is solid or not but it sure seems to be solid. How could I tell? I put a straight board on it and it is only bent 1/2 or so.

Moabrubi 11-18-2012 11:31 PM

Where are you located? I have a perfectly straight tie rod and drag link I could sell.

MarcusJ 11-18-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3010260)
Where are you located? I have a perfectly straight tie rod and drag link I could sell.


Marysville, CA just about 45 north of Sacramento. Are you within meeting distance?

MarcusJ 11-18-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXJeeper (Post 3009971)
For future reference tow hooks are less expensive than tie-rods.:thumb:
You need at least one recovery point in the front and one in in the rear, minimum. First and last time this happens, I hope.


Point well taken PDX. :facepalm:

Moabrubi 11-18-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusJ (Post 3010272)
Marysville, CA just about 45 north of Sacramento. Are you within meeting distance?

No I'm down south in the LA area. You are probably better off just getting the ZJ tie rod anyways :).

rwhitmore74 11-18-2012 11:38 PM

That's a heck of a drive from Michigan. Thanks though.

97wrangler-242 11-19-2012 01:53 AM

Currie/savvy ultimate steering is the strongest on the market right now. Never tow from any steering/suspension components though. Tow hooks are cheap and easy to install

leppich_italy 11-19-2012 01:42 PM

check amazon- search "Moog Ds1312" the set should be $105 ish

Jtaylor1129 11-19-2012 02:34 PM

Yeah I would highly suggest upgrading to a stronger tie rod. I snapped 4 before I decided to upgrade.

C.L. 11-19-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusJ (Post 3009323)
...as my not-so-proud moment of tying the chain to the tie rod...

That crackling thunder noise you just heard was 150,000 WF users face-palming at the same time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.