Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Light Installation Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/light-installation-question-20043.html)

Rogue 07-20-2008 07:06 PM

Light Installation Question
 
I am currently installing a set of KC Slimlites on my 2002 Jeep Wrangler using the KC windshield brackets. Has anyone done an install like this before? Can anyone post pics of their install, particularly of how you ran the wiring from the lights into the engine compartment? I am considering running them through the cowling, but am unsure. :banghead: Also, has anyone used the factory style rocker switches in place of the KC switches? Any ideas on cost from the dealer? :confused: Thanks for any help.

jeeperman 07-20-2008 07:10 PM

I have always tried to use the rubber plugs that are already in your firewall to thread my wiring through, that way, you don't have to worry too much about scraping the insulation off and shorting out your lights. It takes a bit of patience and work, but worth it for a cleaner install in the end, IMHO.

Sorry, I have no idea what a factory rocker switch will set you back at the dealer.

ROLLTIDEtj 07-20-2008 11:26 PM

Im in the same boat. I just installed a set of hella black magics on the windshield hinge mounts and cant really figure out a great way to wire them up

GrnTJ 07-21-2008 02:45 AM

I ran my hot wire through the rubber plug in the firewall under the driver side. I grounded the lights directly on the mounting bolts for the brackets themselves. Works great like that.

Rogue 07-21-2008 08:42 AM

Thank you folks for the information. I appreciate it. How did you run the actual wiring to the lights mounted on the windshield bracket? I am looking at it, trying to figure out the best way to go from the light itself into the engine compartment without abraiding the wiring. I found the rubber plug in the firewall for the wiring to the switch, and that will work nicely!! Again, thanks for any help!!:doh:

Mesah538 07-21-2008 11:59 AM

The dealer only sells rocker switches for the rear window defroster and one other (cant remember exactly what for). The rear window defroster rocker is a two way switch and will work for fog lights, but it has a window defroster picture on the switch. You can buy rocker switches on E-bay that fits the OEM TJ slots. Cost was $14.95 at the dealer and $9.99 with 3.25 shipping on Ebay.

Jma20a 07-21-2008 12:27 PM

i know that there is a website that sells factory style rocker switches, cant remember the name but im sure someone does.

tazmann910 07-21-2008 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you mean something like these.....????

Jma20a 07-21-2008 03:45 PM

here is the link for the factory style switches

https://www.otrattw.com/S2.htm

tazmann910 07-21-2008 03:48 PM

Those are the switches I have installed in my above post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 248097)
here is the link for the factory style switches

https://www.otrattw.com/S2.htm


Jerry Bransford 07-21-2008 05:14 PM

Just as an aside, did you wire your lights in so they are powered/controlled by a relay? That's the only way to go with any high wattage offroad lights. Luckily the pre-wired wiring harness sold by companies like KC include a pre-wired relay. :)

Rogue 07-21-2008 05:28 PM

Yeah, just like those, Tazmann910!! I want a few of those switches! I am using the KC wiring harness with the relay, but am still unsure as to how to route the wires from the windshield bracket down into the engine bay to the battery... Thanks for the help so far though!

DUCKIT 07-21-2008 05:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 247837)
I am currently installing a set of KC Slimlites on my 2002 Jeep Wrangler using the KC windshield brackets. Has anyone done an install like this before? Can anyone post pics of their install, particularly of how you ran the wiring from the lights into the engine compartment? I am considering running them through the cowling, but am unsure. :banghead: Also, has anyone used the factory style rocker switches in place of the KC switches? Any ideas on cost from the dealer? :confused: Thanks for any help.

Here is what I did ............worked out slick
Attachment 4416

Attachment 4417

Attachment 4418

Attachment 4419

Jerry Bransford 07-21-2008 05:42 PM

Do you get any glare off the hood from those lights Duckit? Any drawbacks to them being mounted up that high, vision-wise?

My bumper mounted 8" KC lights were getting whacked and sometimes completely knocked off by the rocks so I moved them up higher to the stinger on my bumper but they now look kinda lame where they are. After years of resisting lights up where yours are, that location is a little more attractive and out of the way of most of the rock Ogres.

DUCKIT 07-21-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 248155)
Do you get any glare off the hood from those lights Duckit? Any drawbacks to them being mounted up that high, vision-wise?

My bumper mounted 8" KC lights were getting whacked and sometimes completely knocked off by the rocks so I moved them up higher to the stinger on my bumper but they now look kinda lame where they are. After years of resisting lights up where yours are, that location is a little more attractive and out of the way of most of the rock Ogres.

Not bad on the glare, But sometime, a person ......say walking across a intersection might get hidden behind them :eek: not bad thought just dont be in a big hurry ;)

Jerry Bransford 07-21-2008 06:20 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'll give that location some serious consideration when I re-locate my lights again which will be pretty soon. Heck I just got them at the crappy location where they are now last weekend. :eek:

Rogue 07-21-2008 09:19 PM

Duckit, you are the man! Thanks. I will try to post pics when I am done...

603TJ 07-22-2008 12:48 AM

jerry- I just installed a set of hella500's up on windshield brackets... I was really surprised by the amount of glare off the hood. My jeep is white, so I'm sure that adds to it, but my advice would be to take a bright cordless spotlight and mimic the driver side light and see if you'll experience the glare. I'm thinking about getting those KC glare shields that prevent this...too bad they look so cheesy...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.