Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   ball joints (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ball-joints-200577.html)

ggross 11-20-2012 06:23 AM

ball joints
 
I need to replace my ball joints. I have an 05 with a d44 rubicon front axel. Are the ball joints the same on a d30? What is a good brand to get? Can i get any good ones at a local parts store? I also run 35's don't want to be replacing the ball joints all the time.

ken78744 11-20-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggross
I need to replace my ball joints. I have an 05 with a d44 rubicon front axel. Are the ball joints the same on a d30? What is a good brand to get? Can i get any good ones at a local parts store? I also run 35's don't want to be replacing the ball joints all the time.

Yep the Dana 30 and Dana 44 from the TJs are the same oreillys sells MOOG balljoints they are the best you can get from local parts stores besides the factory.....

TnDz TJ 11-20-2012 08:02 AM

I agree... Moog is a good brand and never had issues with them.

ggross 11-20-2012 08:09 AM

I think I will go get the moog ones then. Thanks

Imped 11-20-2012 08:18 AM

You do not want Moog. You want Dana Spicer ball joints. They'll last 3x as long and cost half as much. Check ebay, they should run you about $100 for a full set of 4.

ggross 11-20-2012 08:34 AM

I do have a spicer dealer near by that I get a discount at

ken78744 11-20-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggross
I do have a spicer dealer near by that I get a discount at

Then I would go that route, both really shouldn't be over about $80 a side...

Imped 11-20-2012 09:43 AM

You can get Spicers for $50 a side all day from the vendors on eBay. Even with my employee pricing @ O'Reilly (work a few nights a week for Jeep fund/discounts) I can hardly beat that. And take it from someone who sells them and has run both.....Moog ball joints don't hold a candle to Spicer ball joints.

JimsJeep 11-20-2012 05:41 PM

Spicer DANA 30 SPICER BALLJOINTS 706944X

ken78744 11-20-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsJeep

That's a damn good deal!!!!

UnlimitedLJ04 11-20-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3014466)
You want Dana Spicer ball joints.

x2.

NAPA Premium Lifetime Warranty ball joints are Dana/Spicer. That ECGS price above is more than $100 less than what I paid for my NAPA's....

JimsJeep 11-20-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken78744 (Post 3015903)
That's a damn good deal!!!!


Bought a set from them a few weeks ago and they are the real thing

ggross 11-20-2012 07:36 PM

I think I will get them. They say dana 30 I have a dana 44. Will they still fit.

ken78744 11-20-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggross
I think I will get them. They say dana 30 I have a dana 44. Will they still fit.

Yep as long as you have a factory tj axle the ball joints are the same...

ggross 11-20-2012 09:47 PM

I do have a factory tj axle, so will order them then. Thanks everyone.

TheDesertOutlaw 09-12-2013 11:59 PM

Resurrecting a thread -

Q: My Driver's side front tire wants to hop when the passenger-side front tire hits a good bump in the road above 40 mph. Would I replace the drivers' side ball joints (assuming that the ball joints may be worn, loose)? How difficult are ball joints to change out?

TheDesertOutlaw 09-13-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3014466)
You do not want Moog. You want Dana Spicer ball joints. They'll last 3x as long and cost half as much. Check ebay, they should run you about $100 for a full set of 4.

Another Q:
Any reputable vendors on Ebay that I should go with?

ggross 09-13-2013 11:24 PM

ball joints were not that bad you do have to have a ball joint press, i would check your track bar and tie rod ends first befor changing the ball joints, when mine did that it was the track bar

TheDesertOutlaw 09-13-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggross (Post 4557545)
ball joints were not that bad you do have to have a ball joint press, i would check your track bar and tie rod ends first befor changing the ball joints, when mine did that it was the track bar

How can you tell if your tie rod ends are in need of replacement?

ggross 09-14-2013 11:49 PM

have someone turn the steering wheel and look at them they should all be tight no slop. make sure to do the same with the track bar


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.