Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New 2012 JK owner! Need lift/tire/wheel advice! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-2012-jk-owner-need-lift-tire-wheel-advice-201247.html)

TankinDem 11-23-2012 10:57 PM

New 2012 JK owner! Need lift/tire/wheel advice!

Hello everyone, I am the new proud owner of a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with the basic steel 225/75/16 wheels, or whatever size they are.
I've owned a lifted 03' tacoma, 02' Ford F-250, and 08' Liberty but this vehicle is by far my favorite and im happy to finally understand what the "jeep thing" is all about.
Anyway, like always, i cannot help but want to lift this thing. It has open diffs all around with a 3.21 diff ratio and like i said, the smallest factory wheels available.
My goal is to achieve an awesome look while suffering the least amount of negative side-effects possible AND increasing my ground clearance and articulation for moderate, and rare, off-road use AND all this for the best value possible. So, im thinking a 2.5" rubicon express lift, plus a steering stablizer, with no larger than 33" tires on 17" or 16" wheels. I don't want the wheels to stick out past the stock fender flares, but rather, for the wheels to be flush with them.
My questions for you knowledgeable gentleman:
-What is the best size and brand lift for my goal?
-What size wheel (i think it's a 5 on 5" lug pattern?) with what BACKSPACING should i buy? I like the black AEV pintler or pro-comp series 7069
-Is my gear ratio adequate for a 33" or should i just go with a 32"?
-Does anyone have any pictures and specs of a Wrangler that they think might match my goal?
-Does anyone have any valuable hindsight advice, or "man, if i could do it over..." suggestions?

paleh0rse 11-23-2012 11:26 PM

Don't waste any money on an aftermarket steering stabilizer unless/until your current SS is shot.

Your current gears will be fine for 33s, but you should still plan to regear in the near future due to the fact that it won't be very long before you want 35s instead... bet? ;)

As for the rest, what's your budget for the lift/wheels/tires, and how often is "rare" when it comes to "moderate" wheeling?

TankinDem 11-23-2012 11:39 PM

Well, moderate would entail light trail riding for camping/exploring forests and some slippery boat ramps as well. Basically, i wont really NEED a lift kit... I don't think. I got a lot of my mud-bogging urge out on a 94' yota pick-up i had, and then finished that up in the 03' tacoma with 6.5" of lift and 33" tires. Im a little worried about getting into it again because i don't want to damage anything seriously. But from what i hear, Wranglers can take a pounding.
I really don't think i want to get into re-gearing. I did that with my F-250, i was running 39.5's with 4.88's and then i wanted to downsize but i couldn't go any smaller than 37's because of the gears. But, that truck ended up being a half work truck so it was different and i needed to tow a lot with it when my other work trucks were busy. But, im not in that line of work anymore so my 4x4's are for play now, and dang do i love this JEEP.

Budget for the lift would be less than a grand for sure. Hopefully way less and i plan on installing it myself. I've installed a lift on my IFS tacoma, my buddies IFS tahoe, and a 2wd torsion bar lift on a nissan frontier. Plus installed new shocks all around on my 94' 4wd toyota p/u, and lowered an old GMC jimmy. From what i understand, the Jeep shouldn't be too much for me. I hope...

paleh0rse 11-23-2012 11:52 PM

Honestly, with that budget, and the fact that you're not planning to do any rough wheeling at all, I'd go for the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" kit ($899) with the optional $100 AEV Geometry Correction Brackets -- and be done.

It's not very adjustable, and you won't get crazy flex like you would from other (more expensive) kits, but it will certainly handle the easy dirt trails you're planning on exploring. It will also provide a VERY nice ride (similar to, or even better than stock) on the street for all of the daily driving you're planning to do. The included progressive rate coils and "tuned" Bilstein 5100 shocks are smooth as hell.

Total lift cost: roughly $1,000 even.

Count on an additional $1500-$1700 for tires and wheels. Get yourself some 285 (or 295) Duratracs -- they are awesome and aggressive ATs -- and any set of 16" or 17" wheels with 4.5" of backspacing, or less. If you need to save a few bucks somewhere, go with aluminum 15" wheels instead...

EDIT: you'll also want the $150 AEV ProCal module to reprogram your computer for the larger tires, TPMS, steering adjustment, etc..

TankinDem 11-24-2012 12:07 AM

Hmmm... The 285's are about 33" right? I had the duratracs on my liberty actually, i really liked them. They hummed a little bit but were very tolerable. I had pro-comp x-terrain's before and i kind of miss them though.
I don't have to worry about the front DS clearance at all with a 2.5" lift right?
And 15" wheels clear the brakes in the '12 wrangler? Even though i think im going to go with 16 or 17's still.
Thanks for the advice so far, i really appreciate it. Sooo many options with a wrangler. A lot to learn.

TankinDem 11-24-2012 12:10 AM

Oh, yes, you are right btw. This thing will be doing a lot of daily driving. A lot of highway driving actually. Im debating whether i should go with a smaller than 2.5" lift and just have 32" tires.

paleh0rse 11-24-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankinDem
Hmmm... The 285's are about 33" right? I had the duratracs on my liberty actually, i really liked them. They hummed a little bit but were very tolerable. I had pro-comp x-terrain's before and i kind of miss them though.
I don't have to worry about the front DS clearance at all with a 2.5" lift right?
And 15" wheels clear the brakes in the '12 wrangler? Even though i think im going to go with 16 or 17's still.
Thanks for the advice so far, i really appreciate it. Sooo many options with a wrangler. A lot to learn.

Your driveshafts will "probably" be fine with any of the 2.5" kits, or smaller. You're petty much good to go with anything shorter than 3" of actual lift. The advertised 2.5" measurement on the AEV kit is known to be very accurate, so you "should" be good.

It also doesn't sound like you plan to flex it very much, either, so I wouldn't worry about the DS' at all.

For 15" wheels, you just need to avoid steel if you want to clear the calipers without issues. Any 15" aluminum wheel with the correct backspacing should be fine (it has to do with residual steel left over from the molding process that isn't present on aluminum wheels). Most of the 15" options have around 3.75" of backspacing, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

EDIT: Do it right the first time. Get the 2.5". You won't regret it...

TankinDem 11-24-2012 12:20 AM

You know what, i think i might just buy a set of used sahara wheels someone replaced. Do you happen to know the width of that wheel? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. That will probably be the cheapest, then i can just buy new tires and the lift when im ready, instead of buying new wheels/tires/lift all at once.
I wish i could find a set of used factory gun metal wheels. They seem pretty rare though.
So, will that 285 size fit well on the factory sahara wheel?

paleh0rse 11-24-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

You know what, i think i might just buy a set of used sahara wheels someone replaced. Do you happen to know the width of that wheel? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. That will probably be the cheapest, then i can just buy new tires and the lift when im ready, instead of buying new wheels/tires/lift all at once.
I wish i could find a set of used factory gun metal wheels. They seem pretty rare though.
So, will that 285 size fit well on the factory sahara wheel?

Factory wheels would require spacers (probably 1.5" or 1.75") for anything larger than stock tires. I also believe all Sahara wheels are 18", so that might limit your tire options as well.

Personally, I'd never buy stock take-off wheels when there are so many other cheap options out there...

TankinDem 11-24-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleh0rse (Post 3026731)
Factory wheels would require spacers (probably 1.5" or 1.75") for anything larger than stock tires. I also believe all Sahara wheels are 18", so that might limit your tire options as well.

Personally, I'd never buy stock take-off wheels when there are so many other cheap options out there...

I think you're right that the 2012 sahara wheels are 18", but i think i could put some 2011's on there that are 17's. All JK's after '07 are 5 on 5 bolt pattern right?
But yeah, i wouldn't want to get into an 18" wheel. That'd be freaking expensive for new tires.
But as for the cost, i've found some with good condition tires for around $350. For a nice aluminum wheel, that seems like a good deal. Plus, i could give my mom my old (actually brand new) good-years to put on her Liberty and then when the tires that the take-off wheels came with wear down, i can just buy new tires, spacers, and the lift. I kind of like the look of the stock wheel with the bigger more aggressive tire on it.
Doesn't the Rubicon have 32" tires on the stock wheel?

TankinDem 11-24-2012 01:12 AM

Does anyone know if factory 2012 Rubicon wheels and tires (the 32" BFG m/t's) will fit on my 2012 wrangler sport?

jadmt 11-24-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankinDem (Post 3026810)
Does anyone know if factory 2012 Rubicon wheels and tires (the 32" BFG m/t's) will fit on my 2012 wrangler sport?

yes they are a direct bolt on. I have the same vehicle with 3.21's and I would be hesitant to go too big on tires until you regear if you in fact that is an option.
I put 32" tires on 16X8 rims with 4.5" backspacing and like how it rides and still has plenty of get up and go.
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...3101366101.jpg

smitty141 11-24-2012 08:05 AM

i went with a leveling kit on my 2013 jk. 2 inch in front and 1 inch in back for $130. dollars. I also am running 285-70-17" rubber and it sits right for me. This is my DD so I did not want to go overboard with it. Like you, light off roading, fire roads, creek crossings...

Wheels, are 8.5 wide with a -6 mm back space. Thats about 4 1/2" which is what most run.

Before
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y141/092-2.jpg

After..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...141/002-30.jpg

Smitty

TankinDem 11-24-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3027089)
yes they are a direct bolt on. I have the same vehicle with 3.21's and I would be hesitant to go too big on tires until you regear if you in fact that is an option.
I put 32" tires on 16X8 rims with 4.5" backspacing and like how it rides and still has plenty of get up and go.
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...3101366101.jpg

Thank you. Yeah, that's what im kind of worried about. I still want my jeep to be a decent highway vehicle. Im seriously leaning towards buying a set of rubicon take-offs, and then installing a small lift in the future. So, stock 32" tires shouldn't rub at all on my sport?
And i've had BFG m/t's before, they were kind of loud, but lasted forever on my little regular cab, 4cyl tacoma. But that thing was really light.

paleh0rse 11-24-2012 04:44 PM

Where are you located? I have a full set of 2013 Rubicon takeoffs that were taken off after just three weeks. $1100 or best offer. I'm in northern VA. I could also sell you my Rubicon 18/59 coils and shocks if you're interested...

bill9274 11-24-2012 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just put 265-75-16" or 285-75-16 on it no lift and maybe flat fenders. heres a picture of 265' no lift 8 " wheels 4" backspacing

TankinDem 11-24-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paleh0rse (Post 3028448)
Where are you located? I have a full set of 2013 Rubicon takeoffs that were taken off after just three weeks. $1100 or best offer. I'm in northern VA. I could also sell you my Rubicon 18/59 coils and shocks if you're interested...

I just moved to Miami. From Orlando though. Come down for a little vacation and ill pick em up!
But seriously, would the Rubi shocks give me a little lift? Wanna mail them to me? Gotta be a way to make that deal.

TankinDem 11-24-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill9274 (Post 3028669)
just put 265-75-16" or 285-75-16 on it no lift and maybe flat fenders. heres a picture of 265' no lift 8 " wheels 4" backspacing

That looks nice man. Geez, i can't believe these things fit such big wheels stock. Pretty nice. Im a huge wrangler fan now.

TankinDem 11-24-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty141 (Post 3027108)
i went with a leveling kit on my 2013 jk. 2 inch in front and 1 inch in back for $130. dollars. I also am running 285-70-17" rubber and it sits right for me. This is my DD so I did not want to go overboard with it. Like you, light off roading, fire roads, creek crossings...

Wheels, are 8.5 wide with a -6 mm back space. Thats about 4 1/2" which is what most run.

Before
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y141/092-2.jpg

After..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...141/002-30.jpg

Smitty

Hey,how do you like the ride with that leveling kit? And did you install it yourself?

Mntdriver 11-24-2012 08:45 PM

I put on a Teraflex leveling kit and its just right for me. I am still running the stock Rubicon 32" tires and will go to 33" Duratracks when these tires wear out. I'm not interested in going to a 35" tire as I am able to do any wheeling I want with these current size. Plus I'm not interested in recalabrating my speedo or losing mileage.

smitty141 11-24-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankinDem (Post 3029076)
Hey,how do you like the ride with that leveling kit? And did you install it yourself?

The leving kit will keep the factory ride, and thats what I was looking for. The new tires I bought did take away a little of the comfort. Being a stiffer tire, I thought that would happen.

The kit from Teraflax brought the front up 2" and the rear a 1".

Hope that helps, Smitty

TankinDem 11-24-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty141 (Post 3029292)
The leving kit will keep the factory ride, and thats what I was looking for. The new tires I bought did take away a little of the comfort. Being a stiffer tire, I thought that would happen.

The kit from Teraflax brought the front up 2" and the rear a 1".

Hope that helps, Smitty

Okay, i put a 1.5" leveling kit on my last Jeep, an '08 Liberty, and ran 245 duratrac's on it. The ride was compromised SLIGHTLY, meaning it was a tad rougher but my real problem came with the uneven wear and cupping that proceeded on my front tires. I think the uneven wear came from the fact that the leveling kit i installed did not come with, nor was it suggested, that i replace the front shocks as well. It just stretched out my stock ones to the point that they were primarily working in the "comfort zone" rather than the control zone, giving it a more "floaty" ride. I guess my point is that daystar should have told me to replace the freaking front shocks with longer ones. Im mad because that lift destroyed my nice duratracs.

Anyone having a similar problem with cupping or uneven wear after installing a lift? I do NOT want that again.

Omar Brannstrom 11-25-2012 03:48 PM

Hi

I did not want a lift so I went with Cooper st Maxx 265/70/17 on Black Rock Yuma 8" and 4.5 backspace. And I like the look and ride.

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom.../147496409.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom.../147496483.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom.../147496481.jpg

kjeeper10 11-25-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Okay, i put a 1.5" leveling kit on my last Jeep, an '08 Liberty, and ran 245 duratrac's on it. The ride was compromised SLIGHTLY, meaning it was a tad rougher but my real problem came with the uneven wear and cupping that proceeded on my front tires. I think the uneven wear came from the fact that the leveling kit i installed did not come with, nor was it suggested, that i replace the front shocks as well. It just stretched out my stock ones to the point that they were primarily working in the "comfort zone" rather than the control zone, giving it a more "floaty" ride. I guess my point is that daystar should have told me to replace the freaking front shocks with longer ones. Im mad because that lift destroyed my nice duratracs.

Anyone having a similar problem with cupping or uneven wear after installing a lift? I do NOT want that again.

-Tie pressure
-Toe

TankinDem 11-25-2012 04:15 PM

Uh-oh... It's started. just picked up Rubicon wheels. Man, i love the BFG m/t's. They're quieter than the 245 g/y duratracs i had on my liberty.

This thing looks SO much better with these new wheels i can't believe it. Thanks for all your help so far.

Hey Brannstrom, nice Jeep man. Well done.

CoachT 11-25-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankinDem (Post 3031629)
Uh-oh... It's started. just picked up Rubicon wheels. Man, i love the BFG m/t's. They're quieter than the 245 g/y duratracs i had on my liberty.

This thing looks SO much better with these new wheels i can't believe it. Thanks for all your help so far.

Hey Brannstrom, nice Jeep man. Well done.

I almost did the same thing, You can find some good deals on Rubi take off wheels and tires.

We need pictures of the new wheels and tires! Post some pictures.

8052949 11-25-2012 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 181708

Here's what a two inch lift and 32's looks like. Use it all the time for bombing fire roads in the desert and works great.

ffiallo 01-08-2013 09:23 PM

Tankimdem,
All this and no pics!! Come on man...