Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK vs Mercedes G 500 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-vs-mercedes-g-500-a-201393.html)

OwlAlley 11-24-2012 08:32 PM

JK vs Mercedes G 500

I admit it. I have fallen in love. I cheated on my 2011 Wrangler Sahara and test drove a used Mercedes G 500. I did it out of curiosity and the thrill of something new, but now I can't get the G500 out of my mind. Any suggestions?

wmwhitey 11-24-2012 08:36 PM

Go wheeling and think if that G500 can do that. Or go mudding doors off top off and get home and wash the jeep out with a hose and think about trying that in the G500.

Jackster3 11-24-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAlley
I admit it. I have fallen in love. I cheated on my 2011 Wrangler Sahara and test drove a used Mercedes G 500. I did it out of curiosity and the thrill of something new, but now I can't get the G500 out of my mind. Any suggestions?

Have both :)

AdrianVall 11-24-2012 08:45 PM

I absolutely LOVE the way the G500 looks. I've always loved them. If I could afford one, I might have one.

InvertChaos 11-24-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmwhitey
Go wheeling and think if that G500 can do that. Or go mudding doors off top off and get home and wash the jeep out with a hose and think about trying that in the G500.

X2 something tells me it won't do so hot crawling around on rocks. I'm sure its very luxurious, but that's not why I have a jeep. Also, the price tag.

ESP 11-24-2012 08:47 PM

Take the doors and top off. Grab your best gal and head out for a drive at night time cranking Twisted Sister as loud as you both can stand it.

Works for me.

rundm 11-24-2012 08:53 PM

The allure of the G wagon is strong but you can't do the same things in it that you can a jeep. And, the cost is beyond compare.

OwlAlley 11-24-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
I absolutely LOVE the way the G500 looks. I've always loved them. If I could afford one, I might have one.

Oh God yes. It haunts me. If you drive it, you gotta have it. I can't afford new, but dreaming of preowned. I heard they go 300k plus miles if maintained well.

OwlAlley 11-24-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackster3

Have both :)

I love the way you think!!

MTH 11-24-2012 08:57 PM

Nothing wrong with a GWagon. They're exorbitantly expensive, so they better be awesome. I love Defender 90s too. It's cool. :blunt:

panthermark 11-24-2012 09:04 PM

Get yourself a Black/Silver/Billet Sahara JKU with a painted top and all of the bells and whistles on the interior.

TrueBlueJK 11-24-2012 09:05 PM

I wonder if there's a MW3 G500.

ESP 11-24-2012 09:06 PM

Haven't watched this yet, dunno if it's good/bad. Here's the closest comparison I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZaNAxDCdwk

2five22 11-24-2012 09:10 PM

Geländewagens are very capable off road vehicles and were long before rich rap stars discovered them and turned them into blinged out, bloated caricatures. The West German Army used them extensively. They aren't quite Range Rovers, but are you looking at a surplus vehicle or a modern luxury barge?

Keep in mind that you will pay a very premium price for parts and service here in the United States. Accessories are expensive and hard to find. Insurance isn't cheap either..

Are you going to off road it or just use it as family wagon? For a family wagon, yes. For a real off road vehicle, I vote no, unless you have the funding to pay for damages, broken parts, and the incidental costs. If you do, then why not?

JeeperJake 11-24-2012 09:14 PM

I was a signature away from buying a Gelandewagen circa 1991.

A buddy had a used one with low miles ("only 132,000") and it was hard to find anything out about em at the time. IIRC this was going for about $12k....which seemed a bit steep for what was a pretty basic box with the big Mercedes logo on it ....sure, OHV 6 and a fancy triple-lock set up.....but there was no local support and damn few on the road at the time.

Looking back I probably should have stepped in to get it....but he moved out of state and the divorce took it anyway....

This one was the same external size & nearly the same color as my 1954 Willys Overland that I was so fond of....and while running gear/power plant/creature comforts were 40 years newer, the rest of it was amazingly similar but far higher $$$$$ .

I haven't followed the new ones at all, as the last I saw had leaped suddenly over the $100k barrier and I was suffering nose bleeds and shock from the sudden painful altitude shift.

wmwhitey 11-24-2012 09:21 PM

That video was funny lol lol lol.

2five22 11-24-2012 09:25 PM

You might be able to find Canadian surplus parts for them, since their Forces use them. I have no idea what ever became of the U.S. Army ones that were used in West Berlin. The USMC also have some as IFAVs [Interim Fast Attack Vehicle], but by the time they are surplused out, they'll only be worth scrap. Marines use every ounce of material for all its worth.

They were very popular with NATO.

Jackster3 11-24-2012 09:34 PM

i hate the look of that thing lol. id feel like a Persian prince driving that thing. lol

:surrender::surrender::surrender:

mathew85 11-24-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAlley (Post 3029120)

Send me that money you'd otherwise spend on the G 500! I promise I will keep it in trust until your obsession subsides :P

OwlAlley 11-24-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
Haven't watched this yet, dunno if it's good/bad. Here's the closest comparison I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZaNAxDCdwk

This video is fantastic! Thank you so much!

OwlAlley 11-24-2012 10:11 PM

So....maybe the G wagen is just an overpriced German version of Jeep?

Duke79 11-24-2012 11:12 PM

The Canadian military uses a stripped down version with a 5 cyl diesel. I found it very good off road, elect locking diffs.

I too tested a G500 AMG but decided not to go for it. I really wanted the AMG model, if I were to get one that would be it. I would rather have a older AMG than a newer base model. The AMG hauls ass for a big SUV.

DJL2 11-24-2012 11:20 PM

The responsible thing to do here is save some cash and get a lightly used, older Unimog. That way you can enjoy all the pain and suffering of the G at a lower price and you get some cool bits - lots of ground clearance, locking diffs, uber low gearing, lots of articulation, built in PTO for all sorts of nifty tools and things. Hell, I think 37" is the stock tire size...

Of course, you're going to suffer if you do much other than drive it locally or trailer it...

AUskier 11-25-2012 01:57 AM

I read this comparison a few months back. If you haven't seen it yet it might be interesting... Even if money was no object not having the removable top would be hard for me now. Otherwise I love the g wagon too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Con Artist 11-25-2012 04:14 AM

Too funny how this thread just popped up. We were traveling home from my parents' house yesterday and one passed us. I told my wife, "I'd love to go wheeling with one of those, they're pretty badass."

I've always thought they were kinda cool. My wife's exact words were, "That's really ugly." While it isn't gorgeous, it does look fairly tough and look like it could hold its own.

Anyway, while I wouldn't ever trade my Jeep in for one, I still think they're cool and would love to see what their capabilities are. :thumb:

DaK 11-25-2012 06:39 AM

The mercedes with the top up reminds me of the Gen 1 Trooper II's
File:Isuzu Trooper (first generation, first facelift) (rear), Serdang.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the top is down it reminds me of a the Geo Tracker

Basic information about the 1995 Geo Tracker

Nice bells and whistle but, you will most likely have to give up true off roading. Nice how they think fire roading is off roading.

OwlAlley 11-25-2012 08:30 AM

Your posts have been helpful. I will think long and hard before pulling the trigger on a G wagen.

traitor08 11-25-2012 08:37 AM

No way would I spend that on a vehicle. I would have 3 jeeps.

Con Artist 11-25-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3030572)
No way would I spend that on a vehicle. I would have 3 jeeps.

I'd own a Jeep and Corvette (possibly Z06...) for that kind of money.

Jackster3 11-25-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist

I'd own a Jeep and Corvette (possibly Z06...) for that kind of money.

Im more of a mustang guy. A nice gt 500 super snake would suit me.