Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   rear differential shot (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/rear-differential-shot-201818.html)

znera143 11-26-2012 10:20 PM

rear differential shot
 
My 1997 wrangler has a Dana 35 with a 3.07 gear ratio. The rear differential is just about shot. its making a terrible winding sound. I called my local jeep dealer and they said they cant help me. dose anyone know of anyplace in MA i can go to get it rebuilt or a junkyard that i could get a used one from or even a store or website i can buy one from? Anything will help. thanks alot.

ken78744 11-26-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znera143
My 1997 wrangler has a Dana 35 with a 3.07 gear ratio. The rear differential is just about shot. its making a terrible winding sound. I called my local jeep dealer and they said they cant help me. dose anyone know of anyplace in MA i can go to get it rebuilt or a junkyard that i could get a used one from or even a store or website i can buy one from? Anything will help. thanks alot.

4wheelparts.com but I can't believe the dealership won't rebuild it for you....

Enemy 11-26-2012 10:34 PM

I'd look for a Dana 44 with different gears.

Lando25 11-26-2012 10:40 PM

Look for a dana 44 or a ford 8.8.

znera143 11-27-2012 07:31 AM

im trying to get it as cheap as i can how much on average is a 44?

NC Bear 11-27-2012 09:30 AM

cheap and Jeep don't play well together... I suggest a 8.8 conversion, these can be had for cheaper. i paid about 3600 for the SYE and rear drive shaft, new brakes, rotors, e brake cables, calipers, regearing the front to match the rear (4.10) and a BDS 3 inch lift, complete with extended brake lines and all necessary crap to complete my "rebuild" and don't forget labor for the above mentioned...
The G2 axle alone with shipping was going to be darn near 3500.00 from 4wheeldrive in Raleigh.

Check out www.eastcoastgearsupply.com for the 8.8 stuff.

znera143 11-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC Bear (Post 3038273)
cheap and Jeep don't play well together... I suggest a 8.8 conversion, these can be had for cheaper. i paid about 3600 for the SYE and rear drive shaft, new brakes, rotors, e brake cables, calipers, regearing the front to match the rear (4.10) and a BDS 3 inch lift, complete with extended brake lines and all necessary crap to complete my "rebuild" and don't forget labor for the above mentioned...
The G2 axle alone with shipping was going to be darn near 3500.00 from 4wheeldrive in Raleigh.

Check out www.eastcoastgearsupply.com for the 8.8 stuff.

I know they don't but cheap and college student go together very well. ill look into the 8.8 thanks again

Dextreme 11-27-2012 07:26 PM

A whining sound could just be a bearing. Find a local axle shop and have them give you a quote.

Dextreme 11-27-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znera143 (Post 3040265)
I know they don't but cheap and college student go together very well. ill look into the 8.8 thanks again

I work full time, am married with kids and I probably poorer than you! None of us want to spend more than we need to! ;)

doclouie 11-27-2012 07:38 PM

Car-parts.com

jkp 11-27-2012 07:47 PM

2nd on finding a local axle shop to check it out. Unless it's making really horrible noises, probably a bearing. Assuming you haven't been out beating on it with huge tires...

znera143 11-29-2012 02:38 PM

Aussie style locker?
 
i found a used one but they say it has an Aussie style locker? and i have no idea if that would work with my wrangler any ideas? again im trying to replace my 1997 wrangler rear differential or axle and its a stock Dana 35 with 3.07 ratio

frieed 11-29-2012 02:41 PM

If you change the gearing then you have to change the front as well.

znera143 11-29-2012 02:43 PM

So this one i found with the aussie locker will not work?

Dextreme 11-29-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znera143 (Post 3047602)
i found a used one but they say it has an Aussie style locker? and i have no idea if that would work with my wrangler any ideas? again im trying to replace my 1997 wrangler rear differential or axle and its a stock Dana 35 with 3.07 ratio


A used what? Whole axle? Why not just fix what is broken? I hope you don't replace your Jeep every time you need an oil change. :p

znera143 11-29-2012 02:47 PM

none of the garages near me will get into just the rear differential they all say they dont have the time or the knowledge to rebuild it. so for me it seems easier to get a used rear axle and replace it myself.

philk 11-29-2012 04:40 PM

on 12/6/12 i am having a 8.8 assy. put in , my 35 was making noise , the bearing are worn out, price 480.00, now i get disk brakes in the rear a stronger rear than a 44, installed out the door 1,625.00 east coast gear supply raleigh n.c.

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znera143 (Post 3047619)
So this one i found with the aussie locker will not work?

If it's a Dana 35, don't go with it... a Dana 35 axle is not strong enough to be reliable with a locker. And that Aussie locker, as good as it is when installed in the front axle, is not well behaved when it is in the rear axle.

Your Dana 35 can be rebuilt with all new bearings in any competent 4x4 shop that regears axles for probably $350-400. If it's the ring & pinion gears that are whining, those plus all the bearings can be replaced for $600-700 at the most.

Caution to note that I recommended a 4x4 shop. Few mechanics in a standard garage have much experience with this particular job which means 1) they may not be able to do the job properly and 2) they will probably charge more than a 4x4 shop. Most 4x4 shops do a lot of axle work (regearing, installing lockers, etc.) so this type of job would be nothing unusual for them.

4Jeepn 11-29-2012 05:24 PM

based on your IP, these guys might be close to you.

Elias 4 Wheel Drive Center

Plowboy1970 11-29-2012 05:42 PM

Too bad you are not closer to Chicago. There is a Dana 35 on craigslist for $150

98 jeep wrangler parts.

jrmiller 11-29-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philk
on 12/6/12 i am having a 8.8 assy. put in , my 35 was making noise , the bearing are worn out, price 480.00, now i get disk brakes in the rear a stronger rear than a 44, installed out the door 1,625.00 east coast gear supply raleigh n.c.

What are they doing to the 8.8? I'm local to the area and priced an 8.8 from them multiple times before deciding to build my own. Couldn't get them to do it under $2000

philk 11-30-2012 06:56 AM

i am not putting a locker in it yet, i will soon enough, arb that would put me over 2,000.00 they are going to put a rebuilt trac loc in it. disk brakes, gear change,all new bearings an seals,ect.

jasonduke5 11-30-2012 08:25 AM

they are all over Craigslist in central pa. i would keep and eye on there. i agree with most the people above that if no when my d35 goes i am going to put the money into a d44. that being said tho if money is tight i will put another d35 under it if i have to. What shot on it. the rin and pinion? maybe a bearing. you could probably replace them cheaper or the same price as getiing a junk yard or used axle. if you go that route then you know everything inside of it will be new.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.