Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Warn winch (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/warn-winch-202396.html)

hmiller 11-29-2012 10:53 AM

Warn winch

1 Attachment(s)
I was on a budget for a winch so I checked craigslist. I found a guy selling a new never been opened warn vr8000 for 500. I offered 400 he said no and that was that. Yesterday I get a text asking me if I want the winch for 350. I said 325 cash and he accepted. Just picked it up. :)

Attachment 182828

BlueTJ1997 11-29-2012 10:56 AM

wow one born everyday!

Dextreme 11-29-2012 11:09 AM

Ya saved about $150 over retail. Nice! :thumb:

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2012 11:15 AM

Holy smoke, nice find!!! Now take your savings & buy a 3/8" synthetic rope for it. You should be able to find a buyer for the wire rope that is on there pretty easy. www.vikingoffroad.com is a great source for the rope... owned by two Jeeper brothers. And no need to replace its roller fairlead for an aluminum hawse to run synthetic rope as used to be the rumor. :)

Moabrubi 11-29-2012 11:20 AM

Very nice! This thread is exactly what I mean when I say there are deals to be had on quality stuff!

Wear out your steel line before you bother buying a synthetic line that costs almost as much as your winch did!

hmiller 11-29-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Holy smoke, nice find!!! Now take your savings & buy a 3/8" synthetic rope for it. You should be able to find a buyer for the wire rope that is on there pretty easy. www.vikingoffroad.com is a great source for the rope... owned by two Jeeper brothers. And no need to replace its roller fairlead for an aluminum hawse to run synthetic rope as used to be the rumor. :)

Thanks Jerry. I'm going to get the ball rolling on that

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmiller (Post 3046933)
Thanks Jerry. I'm going to get the ball rolling on that

Thor runs the show at Viking and he's really a nice guy. By the way, he talked me into orange for my last synthetic rope and he was right, it's a cool color for a winch rope.

hmiller 11-29-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Thor runs the show at Viking and he's really a nice guy.

Do you know much about this winch. I just heard its good but can't be used a lot over a weekend. I just figured for the price it was worth it

AJ_IOOF 11-29-2012 11:39 AM

OK. Newb question here. What is the advantage to synthetic rope over the wire rope (other than weight ???)?

@hmiller- Nice find. I just bought the same winch a couple of weeks back. I got a good deal. You got a better one!

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ_IOOF (Post 3046992)
OK. Newb question here. What is the advantage to synthetic rope over the wire rope?

Easier on the hands, much safer, and substantially lighter which makes it a LOT easier to pull out & handle. My 3/8" has a 20K breaking strength which means it has a big safety margin should you ever have to drag it over something abrasive... which I have never had to do in 9-10 years of running a synthetic rope on rocky trails.

hmiller 11-29-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ_IOOF
OK. Newb question here. What is the advantage to synthetic rope over the wire rope (other than weight ???)?

@hmiller- Nice find. I just bought the same winch a couple of weeks back. I got a good deal. You got a better one!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but synthetic is a lot stronger. And thanks man have you used it?

Moabrubi 11-29-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ_IOOF (Post 3046992)

Synthetic is easier to handle and if it breaks it won't snap back and kill a busload of puppies.

That being said, It does break a helluva lot easier than steel by dragging it over stuff. This can be avoided by putting a rock sleeve over it, but steel still wins there because your screwed if you have to drag it on the ground over multiple points. I hear of a lot more synthetic failures then steel failures. Also with synthetic you have to wash all the dirt out too.

I'm going to wait until my steel line is all kinked up before I bother buying synthetic. It really doesn't make a huge difference, especially for those who just use it every once in a while.

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3047006)
Synthetic is easier to handle and if it breaks it won't snap back and kill a busload of puppies.

That being said, It does break a helluva lot easier than steel by dragging it over stuff. This can be avoided by putting a rock sleeve over it, but steel still wins there because your screwed if you have to drag it on the ground over multiple points. I hear of a lot more synthetic failures then steel failures. Synthetic sucks because you have to wash all the dirt out too.

I'm going to wait until my steel line is all kinked up before I bother buying synthetic. It really doesn't make a huge difference, especially for those who just use it every once in a while.

If you ever get out to a pro-level competition on the rocks, you'll quickly notice they're all running synthetics. And as much as I am involved in the stuff, I personally don't hear or read of a lot more synthetic rope failures.

And the following is my personal experience on wire vs. synthetic rope. In my first five years of winching, I replaced my wire rope twice due to kinking and broken wire strands. That type of damage occurs when the rope gets pulled down through the layers if you can't properly rewind the rope between pulls... which happens when you have to winch yourself or someone else multiple times during the day and you can't properly rewind the wire rope under a load between pulls.

On the other hand, the synthetic rope I finally replaced my 3rd wire rope with was still in fine condition five years later when that Jeep was stolen. Three wire ropes in the first five years vs. one synthetic rope the second five years. Which rope is the more durable when you look at it from my experience? :)

frieed 11-29-2012 11:52 AM

Plus you can get a replacement steel rope for cheap since so many people are shelling out the $$$$ for synthetics...

AJ_IOOF 11-29-2012 11:57 AM

Well I don't want to "kill a busload of puppies" LOL. Thanks for the input. I think I'll follow your lead on this one...

@hmiller- No, unfortunately I have not mounted it yet. Busted index finger on my right hand has made me put off a couple of projects so far and it looks like I'm going to have to take the Rock Proof bumper off to get the winch on (not enough room for my hands to get to the front bolts). The winch gets decent reviews though and it is after all a "Warn".

Moabrubi 11-29-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3047024)
If you ever get out to a pro-level competition on the rocks, you'll quickly notice they're all running synthetics. And as much as I am involved in the stuff, I personally don't hear or read of a lot more synthetic rope failures.

And the following is my personal experience on wire vs. synthetic rope. In my first five years of winching, I replaced my wire rope twice due to kinking and broken wire strands. That type of damage occurs when the rope gets pulled down through the layers if you can't properly rewind the rope between pulls... which happens when you have to winch yourself or someone else multiple times during the day and you can't properly rewind the wire rope under a load between pulls.

On the other hand, the synthetic rope I finally replaced my 3rd wire rope with was still in fine condition five years later when that Jeep was stolen. Three wire ropes in the first five years vs. one synthetic rope the second five years. Which rope is the more durable when you look at it from my experience? :)

Pro's don't run steel because of the safety factor and you know that, so don't try to put it off like they are more reliable just because the Pro's use it. Three are hundreds of people standing 10ft away from a winching Ultra 4 car, I would hope they are using synthetic!

That's fine and dandy that synthetic doesn't have broken strands,as I have dealt with a wire rope with broken strands, but I have seen more than my fair share of frayed synthetic lines.

There is no arguing that for someone who winches every now and then, doesn't really pay attention to where the line is that a steel line that came on the winch works just fine until he wears it out. Why would he pay $3-400 for a Viking line when his steel cable is brand new? I do plan on upgrading to synthetic on my winch as the benefits are obvious, but I'm just going to wait until it needs it, If it aint broke don't fix it.

Plowboy1970 11-29-2012 02:53 PM

Nice pickup!!! I called on a used Warn XD9000i that was on craigslist for $600 Said I would love to have it but I don't that amount of cash. He asked how much I have? I said $400 He said he would take it. Kinda nice that his girl friend was pregnant...LOL!!

hmiller 11-29-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 3047659)
Nice pickup!!! I called on a used Warn XD9000i that was on craigslist for $600 Said I would love to have it but I don't that amount of cash. He asked how much I have? I said $400 He said he would take it. Kinda nice that his girl friend was pregnant...LOL!!

thats a good deal too man.. good pickup :thumb:

RevCo666 03-15-2013 12:10 AM

I know this is an older thread but I dont do much off roading BUT is there any benefits to picking up a winch that has a lower max weight pull? Something budget to pull smaller items using the jeep as an anchor? Or am I just going in the wrong direction here? Any insight is appreciated...

InvisiblePants 03-15-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3505906)
I know this is an older thread but I dont do much off roading BUT is there any benefits to picking up a winch that has a lower max weight pull? Something budget to pull smaller items using the jeep as an anchor? Or am I just going in the wrong direction here? Any insight is appreciated...

what weight are you thinking? I personally would not want to risk buying a lower rated winch than 8000 for fear of damage to person or property if it fails bc i underestimated the force that it takes to pull something out. We have a lot of clay around and it creates a lot of suction when it eats a vehicle. A member of our club got stuck recently and the guy pulling her out had a 9500 lb winch. at first it tried to pull him to her, next they tied his jeep to another jeep, they both started getting pulled in. finally they anchored him to a tree and before she popped free his tires were almost lifting from the force.

and if you are looking into purchasing a winch Warn is offering rebates again.

RevCo666 03-15-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3505937)
what weight are you thinking? I personally would not want to risk buying a lower rated winch than 8000 for fear of damage to person or property if it fails bc i underestimated the force that it takes to pull something out. We have a lot of clay around and it creates a lot of suction when it eats a vehicle. A member of our club got stuck recently and the guy pulling her out had a 9500 lb winch. at first it tried to pull him to her, next they tied his jeep to another jeep, they both started getting pulled in. finally they anchored him to a tree and before she popped free his tires were almost lifting from the force.

and if you are looking into purchasing a winch Warn is offering rebates again.

Something in the 2-3K but not for towing myself or other vehicles, more like a work horse pulling dead weight like wooden debri, or an ice hut thats stuck...

InvisiblePants 03-15-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3505946)
Something in the 2-3K but not for towing myself or other vehicles, more like a work horse pulling dead weight like wooden debri, or an ice hut thats stuck...

if that's the case, you could probably get away with it, but why not just use a tow strap if all you are doing is pulling? I just dragged an old lawnmower across the yard with a tow strap. A winch would have worked but hooking a strap to my hitch and putting the jeep in drive was so much quicker.

RevCo666 03-15-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3505964)
if that's the case, you could probably get away with it, but why not just use a tow strap if all you are doing is pulling? I just dragged an old lawnmower across the yard with a tow strap. A winch would have worked but hooking a strap to my hitch and putting the jeep in drive was so much quicker.

I keep a chain in the back for that reason, maybe I'm just winch envious hehe

InvisiblePants 03-15-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3505972)
I keep a chain in the back for that reason, maybe I'm just winch envious hehe

I know the feeling. I have been saving up for a while and should be picking up a winch in the next 2 weeks. Im still debating if i want to buy a mount for the stock bumper or buy a bumper i can mount it too. I mean, if i am going to be dropping cash anyway, i might as well put the mount money towards the new bumper. I'm bummed, i found a guy on CL that had a mopar rock crawler and warn m8000 for 550. i talked him down alittle, but the sale fell thru.

RevCo666 03-15-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3506002)
I know the feeling. I have been saving up for a while and should be picking up a winch in the next 2 weeks. Im still debating if i want to buy a mount for the stock bumper or buy a bumper i can mount it too. I mean, if i am going to be dropping cash anyway, i might as well put the mount money towards the new bumper. I'm bummed, i found a guy on CL that had a mopar rock crawler and warn m8000 for 550. i talked him down alittle, but the sale fell thru.

Bitchin' gotta hate when that happens...

Gstone 03-15-2013 01:37 AM

Killer deAl

InvisiblePants 03-15-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gstone (Post 3506041)
Killer deAl

Yeah that is what i thought too. Had him down to $400. Before we could meet up, he got into an accident and had to keep the bumper. :banghead:

edit: WOOHOO, 100th post!

dcarey 03-15-2013 12:07 PM

Just got my first Warn winch got the Zeon 10k for $850 and sold my old Ramsey winch for $300 :). Loving the look of the WARN

Warn Industries 03-15-2013 05:24 PM

Just FYI, since we're talking winch capacity, the formula we use here to determine minimum winching capacity for a truck/SUV is this:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating x 1.5 = Minimum Pulling Capacity

To the OP, I hope the winch is serving you well. I've got a VR8000-S on my personal vehicle.

- Andy

Jerry Bransford 03-15-2013 07:25 PM

Andy, I know we've discussed this before... that 1.5X GVWR rating is the age-old guideline which is fine for all types of combined winch uses including simple road use like if a vehicle is stuck in snow. But for offroad use where we tend to get into more difficult winching situations, 2X GVWR has proven to be more appropriate for an offroader.