Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   teraflex tire carrier?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-tire-carrier-202407.html)

Ricky-2012JKU 11-29-2012 01:19 PM

teraflex tire carrier??
 
News - New Product! JK Tire Carrier Preview | TeraFlex Suspensions

If you watch the video it says the new jk im guessing 11 or 12 and up hinges are reenforced. So really all that needs to be done is the sheet metal near the bolts. What I did is order the smitty bilt oversized tire carrier and a rear door vent cover plate. I bolted the rear door cover plate to the jeep with the tire carrier to that so its. Tire carrier, plate, rear door. In my mind as the video states the hinges are now properly re enforced by Jeep and the only real concern is the sheet metal on the door. Am I wrong with my thinking and what I did to help improve the overall strenth of the rear door sheet metal.

Vin 11-29-2012 08:54 PM

With the OE set up, yes, the sheet metal is the weak spot, but the Teraflex hinge is now taking all the weight, so the tailgate is now hang on the hinge as opposed to the tire carrier hanging on the back door.

Ricky-2012JKU 11-30-2012 12:12 PM

How is this possible the treadles does bolt to the door also?

BadOleRoss 11-30-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky-2012JKU (Post 3051254)
How is this possible the treadles does bolt to the door also?

It's more like the door and tire are bolted to the TF tire carrier. All the weight is on the hinges.

Duke79 11-30-2012 07:14 PM

I have the Smittybilt one as well. But I didn't know there was a vent cover?? Like those tramp stamps I guess. Mine is wide open now so all kinds of crap can go inside the gate.

Vin 11-30-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadOleRoss (Post 3051338)
It's more like the door and tire are bolted to the TF tire carrier. All the weight is on the hinges.

That pretty much sums it up.

Ricky-2012JKU 12-02-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke79
I have the Smittybilt one as well. But I didn't know there was a vent cover?? Like those tramp stamps I guess. Mine is wide open now so all kinds of crap can go inside the gate.

I put the tramp stamp on before carrier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.