Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Oregon Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/)
-   -   2013 Moab Journey? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/2013-moab-journey-202462.html)

scottmphoto 11-29-2012 04:53 PM

2013 Moab Journey?
 
So...I have been dreaming of a trip to Moab next year. :dance:

Was thinking it would be even cooler if us Oregonians caravanned down and represented the beaver state.

It looks like from my place, it's a 15 hour drive down 84 and I-70.

Anyone game?

Scott

skjeeper 11-29-2012 07:02 PM

I could be up for this. If not, a group to the rubicon would be fun too, maybe less driving too:)

jesse.lewis 11-29-2012 09:16 PM

Was planning on doing the new Utah backcountry discovery route..... If this falls through, check it out, we could use another jeep. Damn FJ's. lol

SmellsFishy 11-30-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse.lewis (Post 3049304)
Was planning on doing the new Utah backcountry discovery route..... If this falls through, check it out, we could use another jeep. Damn FJ's. lol

Got a link for info on this Utah route?

I'm also dreaming of either a Moab or Rubicon adventure in 2013. :). Over spring break may work for me.

jonster 11-30-2012 09:48 AM

Interested also. Been to the Rubicon twice and to Moab 4 or 5 times. Have the urge to go again soon.

n2jeepn 11-30-2012 10:33 AM

From east Vancouver to Moab it is right at a 16 hour drive (1016 miles going the speed limit), NOT counting stops. Counting stops add an hour or two.

banks316 11-30-2012 03:05 PM

Love to do a trip next year. This years trip was a huge bust would like to go back spring time.

jesse.lewis 11-30-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellsFishy (Post 3050911)
Got a link for info on this Utah route?

I'm also dreaming of either a Moab or Rubicon adventure in 2013. :). Over spring break may work for me.


Utah Backcountry Discovery Route (UTBDR) Extended Trailer - YouTube

jesse.lewis 11-30-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3048128)
So...I have been dreaming of a trip to Moab next year. :dance:

Was thinking it would be even cooler if us Oregonians caravanned down and represented the beaver state.

It looks like from my place, it's a 15 hour drive down 84 and I-70.

Anyone game?

Scott


sorry Scott, didn't mean to step on your thread...... I might be down for some MOAB if the overland thing falls through. Nomatter what I will be in Moab with a jeep this summer.

IslandTJ 11-30-2012 09:23 PM

For those who have wheeled with me and have Moab experience, would my Jeep be capable enough? I am not locked... only running limited slips.

Oregon_Trail 11-30-2012 11:02 PM

I have been there once with Mark. I think you would do fine. Trails run the gamut from easy to extreme. Check out the web site for the Red Rock 4-Wheelers at Red Rock 4-Wheelers - Moab, Utah - Easter Jeep Safari - Home. They run the Easter Jeep Safari and web site has trail descriptions and difficulty ratings.

banks316 11-30-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ
For those who have wheeled with me and have Moab experience, would my Jeep be capable enough? I am not locked... only running limited slips.

There's trails for every size Jeep. You will do fine.

scottmphoto 12-01-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse.lewis (Post 3052151)
sorry Scott, didn't mean to step on your thread...... I might be down for some MOAB if the overland thing falls through. Nomatter what I will be in Moab with a jeep this summer.

Ha...no worries man...this is more of a place for us all to share ideas...Utah is a big place and if there are better spots, I'm down for whatever!

We could also consider the Rubicon if that would work better.

skjeeper 12-02-2012 06:46 PM

Moab 2013
 
So are there people looking to go to Moab 2013? If so, are we thinking the Moab Easter Jeep Safari or just a random weekend of going? If the goal is the Easter Jeep Safari, the registration and trail maps will open up this month. Registration will be first come, first serve and according to the Red Rocks website, groups will not be accommodated any longer. Instead, you are supposed to gather your group early and register with everyone selecting the same trails. I am down for it, but just wondering if anyone else wants to go.

All the best-
skjeeper

SmellsFishy 12-02-2012 09:18 PM

No Easter week for me...
 
I'd like to go to Moab with a group from here. But I cant do the Easter Week Safari. Business trip that week.

banks316 12-02-2012 11:02 PM

Im down for the easter event

n2jeepn 12-03-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ (Post 3053315)
For those who have wheeled with me and have Moab experience, would my Jeep be capable enough? I am not locked... only running limited slips.

There is always someone who is has open diffs at Moab, and we ALLWAYS get them through.

skjeeper 12-03-2012 11:19 AM

Moab 2013
 
So, after briefly looking at the informative PDF file from the Red Rocks website, it looks like the registration for the 2013 Easter Jeep Safari opens up January 20, 2013. (Of course this is assuming the world doesn't end in three weeks based on the Mayan calendar, of which, the real tragedy won't be the world ending, but rather not having been to Moab in a Jeep before the world ends.)
Anyhow, we still have some time to decide if we are going, how many people are going, etc. etc. Also, this is assuming we participate in the Easter Jeep Safari. If we just go it alone in Moab on some other date, then we just do whatever on our own. The joy of EJS I take it is to check out some cool rigs, cool trails, and cool people, not to mention the event provides guides and support in case stuff happens. I have never been, so I am certainly no expert at this, but I figure if we are planning, we have some time before Jan. 20.

All the best-
skjeeper

scottmphoto 12-03-2012 07:46 PM

I think EJS would be an awesome trip....only concern would be crowded trails, overpriced accommodations, etc etc

jesse.lewis 12-03-2012 09:41 PM

After seeing the open diffs comment, Moab sounds good. Open diffs and re-treads. Only way to roll.

banks316 12-04-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse.lewis (Post 3063772)
After seeing the open diffs comment, Moab sounds good. Open diffs and re-treads. Only way to roll.

I'm out

SmellsFishy 12-04-2012 01:16 PM

oh my butt!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by n2jeepn (Post 3051116)
From east Vancouver to Moab it is right at a 16 hour drive (1016 miles going the speed limit), NOT counting stops. Counting stops add an hour or two.

...this part is the most concerning... :surrender:

scottmphoto 12-05-2012 11:36 AM

Would the Rubicon be snow-free and warmish in the Spring?

banks316 12-05-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3069796)
Would the Rubicon be snow-free and warmish in the Spring?

Elevation is around 5k I belive there would still be snow. As for temp lady year. I ran it in September it got down in the low 40's at night, mid 80,s during the day. I would up for that depending on the group make up.

skjeeper 12-05-2012 05:53 PM

So does this mean I'm going to Moab alone? :)
The official Jeepers Jamboree in the Rubicon is in July but there are other groups that go on different dates and on a smaller scale. The spring may leave lots of snow around. I'm down if people are going for that too.:)

banks316 12-05-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3071116)
So does this mean I'm going to Moab alone? :)
The official Jeepers Jamboree in the Rubicon is in July but there are other groups that go on different dates and on a smaller scale. The spring may leave lots of snow around. I'm down if people are going for that too.:)

I wouldn't mine going but I would like to go with a group that's close to my experience lvl and build.

scottmphoto 12-05-2012 06:11 PM

I have always dreamed of Moab....if only for the change of scenery. I love the desert.

Not ruling anything out, just considering other options for those that fear the 16 hour drive (rookies).

banks316 12-05-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3071183)
I have always dreamed of Moab....if only for the change of scenery. I love the desert.

Not ruling anything out, just considering other options for those that fear the 16 hour drive (rookies).

Took me close to 20hrs back in August to drive there. I stayed the night in bosie the finished the trip the next day.

jonster 12-05-2012 11:44 PM

In my opinion Easter is not the time to go to Moab if you want to take a more relaxed time on the trails. We usually go in May. There are so many things to do there and so many different trails it is really good for any type rig.

SmellsFishy 12-06-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmphoto (Post 3071183)
I have always dreamed of Moab....if only for the change of scenery. I love the desert.


Not ruling anything out, just considering other options for those that fear the 16 hour drive (rookies).

X2 on the 1st part. I love that area, especially Sedona AZ. I'm certainly no rookie to 16+ hour drives though....they suck.( Especially at 50mph in a gas-guzzling TJ)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.