Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Toyo MT's too heavy? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/toyo-mts-too-heavy-202473.html)

5spdftw 11-29-2012 06:36 PM

Toyo MT's too heavy?
 
Hey guys,
I'm about ready to consider getting a new set of tires on my TJ. I have 35/12.5/15 old style MTR's now and I was looking into the Toyo MT's. However, they only come in a 35/13.5/15 and they are about 15 lbs heavier per tire than the MTR's. I'm on a locked D30 with chromoly shafts, would it be able to handle the extra size and weight of the Toyo's or would I be pushing my luck too far? For what it's worth, I like to play in the rocks and its mainly a weekend rig. Thanks for any help guys.

Mitchness 11-29-2012 07:22 PM

I personally hate Toyo MTs. They're too heavy (as you've mentioned). They wear waayyyy too fast compared to most other streetable MTs, and despite the soft compound they're made out of they don't grip all that well.

Another way to make my point would be that every real wheeler in the area I see is rolling on Coopers, BFGs, Goodyears, TSLs, etc. All the street queen humongo-pickups/SUVs that haven't seen anything but pavement are all on Toyos.

5spdftw 11-29-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness (Post 3048430)
I personally hate Toyo MTs. They're too heavy (as you've mentioned). They wear waayyyy too fast compared to most other streetable MTs, and despite the soft compound they're made out of they don't grip all that well.

Another way to make my point would be that every real wheeler in the area I see is rolling on Coopers, BFGs, Goodyears, TSLs, etc. All the street queen humongo-pickups/SUVs that haven't seen anything but pavement are all on Toyos.

Very true, plus an added bonus is the huge price difference. It seems everyone either hates them or loves them. I'll probably end up picking up a set of the new MTR's. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Rocky Bar 12-01-2012 11:27 AM

Toyo's
 
Guess theres two sides to everything. I have been running them for last 2 years, with no problems. They are 33"- 12.50x15", are wearing even with 15k on them. Yes they are heavy, but have run the Rubicon both ways, Fordyce, Barrett Lake, Snake Lake, and many other trails here in Nor-Cal with no flats, or side wall damage. In the rocks it's 10psi, in snow it's 6psi no bead-loks. Toyo side-walls are super tough. With BFG's have had many tire issues. My TJ is no mall-crawler, it's for fun wheeling on the trails and street.:wavey:

5spdftw 12-01-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Bar (Post 3054629)
Guess theres two sides to everything. I have been running them for last 2 years, with no problems. They are 33"- 12.50x15", are wearing even with 15k on them. Yes they are heavy, but have run the Rubicon both ways, Fordyce, Barrett Lake, Snake Lake, and many other trails here in Nor-Cal with no flats, or side wall damage. In the rocks it's 10psi, in snow it's 6psi no bead-loks. Toyo side-walls are super tough. With BFG's have had many tire issues. My TJ is no mall-crawler, it's for fun wheeling on the trails and street.:wavey:

I understand how tough they are but my original question was not, "Which tire is better?", it was, "Can my locked D30 handle a couple of 80 lb 35/13.5/15 Toyo's?" You have less of a problem with 33's.

sm31 12-01-2012 08:32 PM

I think Rocky's response was in reference to the previous posts... which also neglected to address your question. But in Rocky' defense, at least he has first hand experience, unlike the rest of us.

Moabrubi 12-03-2012 12:17 AM

Toyos are really heavy, But I run Cooper STT which is basically the same thing as the toyo and love them in the rocks. I think next time I want to try the MTR/K seeing how everyone raves about them. But I can't see them being much better than my STT's.

darkproximity 12-03-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness
I personally hate Toyo MTs. They're too heavy (as you've mentioned). They wear waayyyy too fast compared to most other streetable MTs, and despite the soft compound they're made out of they don't grip all that well.

Another way to make my point would be that every real wheeler in the area I see is rolling on Coopers, BFGs, Goodyears, TSLs, etc. All the street queen humongo-pickups/SUVs that haven't seen anything but pavement are all on Toyos.

Probably because they can't afford tires so they get them on credit from Les Schwabs and that's all they really carry for mud terrains lol

5spdftw 12-05-2012 07:19 PM

Hmm, some nice input here but still no word on if the fatty 35/13.5 Toyo's with turn my locked D30's u-joints to jelly. Any experience with this size on a similar rig?

darkproximity 12-05-2012 07:43 PM

I would worry about more than just your u-joints, you're also going to be putting additional stress on other axle components such as ball joints, and your unit bearings. If you're okay with having to replace those more frequently then go for it, but since you're already pushing big tires on a 1/4 ton axle, I would err on the side of caution and try to use the lightest tire possible, as to reduce the chance of breakage and premature wear. You also need to take into consideration your brakes, more rotating mass is harder to stop, heavier tire will be harder to stop.
Everyone wants to play the 35" tire game, but not everyone wants to pay the 35"+ tire price.

Mitchness 12-05-2012 07:48 PM

I just got done studying up on this. The Toyo Open Country MT in 35x13.50x15 weighs in at just under 80lbs. The Cooper Discoverer STT in 35x12.50x15 is 66lbs, and the BFG KM2 in 35x12.50x15- 61lbs. In general all other MTs (in 35x12.50x15) hovered around the low to mid 60s in weight.

5spdftw 12-05-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness (Post 3071287)
I just got done studying up on this. The Toyo Open Country MT in 35x13.50x15 weighs in at just under 80lbs. The Cooper Discoverer STT in 35x12.50x15 is 66lbs, and the BFG KM2 in 35x12.50x15- 61lbs. In general all other MTs (in 35x12.50x15) hovered around the low to mid 60s in weight.

Yeah, and the new style MTR/K is also somewhere in the mid 60's. I was just curious to know how large of an impact the extra weight would have. Looks like quite a bit. With chromoly shafts I know my u-joints are the next weakest link on the trail but I'd rather have them break than put in sturdier ones and shred my r&p. Looks like I'll lean more towards the lighter tire options to minimize risk.

jeep-creep 12-05-2012 08:24 PM

I have new Toyo m/t 35's. They have a 50k mile tread life..( I know, I know, but at least its more than I'm used to Maybe, 30K?? I know they won't get 50K)

Off road they are just as good if not better than the cooper's or BFG's I've ran for years. And very quiet on the road.

To each their own.

5spdftw 12-06-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep-creep (Post 3071438)
I have new Toyo m/t 35's. They have a 50k mile tread life..( I know, I know, but at least its more than I'm used to Maybe, 30K?? I know they won't get 50K)

Off road they are just as good if not better than the cooper's or BFG's I've ran for years. And very quiet on the road.

To each their own.

Your JK D30 is a little more stout than the TJ's.

darkproximity 12-06-2012 01:20 AM

Howso? The only difference really is the unit bearing.. High or low pinion won't really matter in this case, as arguably the weakest link is the u joint

5spdftw 12-06-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity (Post 3072544)
Howso? The only difference really is the unit bearing.. High or low pinion won't really matter in this case, as arguably the weakest link is the u joint

Hmm, I suppose you're right. I wonder how hard he wheels...Johnson Valley for me so plenty of tough trails and lots of rocks.

TJDave 12-08-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 3072509)
Your JK D30 is a little more stout than the TJ's.

My friends with JK's would not agree with this statement. Three different R&P failures with their JK D30's on 3 different Jeeps.


JK D30 Ring and Pinion sets typically break because a u-joint gives up while under a load. The resultant shock load travels back through the axle shaft, which has become a torsion spring and strips the teeth off of the gears. Pretty common knowledge.

They think that the JK's built in traction control somehow exacerbates the problem by applying braking force to try and slow down a spinning wheel. . .that can break the u-joint and start the chain of events outlined above. JK Axles are also wider and probably have more flex issues than any of the older housings. None of that helps.

All that being said, I have ran through 2 sets of Toyo 33x12.5x15 tires on my Jeep before I went to 35's. Yep, they are heavy, but performed well, and I had no complaints at the time.
The 35x12.5x15 Procomp Xtreme Mt's I have now, weigh less than the 33" Toyos. I can tell a huge difference in braking performance when I went to the lighter tires, even though they are larger. I also went with alloy wheels and sold the heavier steelies.
15lbs of extra weight at each wheel is a lot of rolling resistance. IMO, I would go with a different tire.

Jack Straw 12-09-2012 08:18 PM

Looks like the toyos are not significantly heavier than the usual suspects in a 31ish size (looking at stock tj rubicon size). Looks like they could be a good option there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.