Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   gears and arb (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/gears-and-arb-202503.html)

jagerhelix 11-29-2012 08:37 PM

gears and arb

Well brown Santa showed up today with my Yukon gears, install kit, and arb for my rear 44. Tomorrow my compressor will show up and Monday the curveball shows up. That which being an Aussie locker for my front d30.
A friend of mine that is very familiar with gear installs might be heading overseas before we can get this done so there is a chance I'll be undertaking this project solo. I'll use the auto skills center which is a shop on ft Carson where you can use a number of specialty tools and Bays with lifts, but I am a bit intimidated by the project. The cost for an install anywhere is ludicrous and enough for me to take it upon myself. with proper tools and patience is gearing and installing lockers that difficult? I've installed several of the compressors before so no worries there. Just the diff work itself.

Full Spool 11-29-2012 09:58 PM

For the $450 I paid predator, it's a well needed insurance policy. My first set took a crap and I got a rebuild for free.

Its a detailed process starting with setup bearings, then the tedious work of getting the shims right. I'd rather pay to have it done.

jagerhelix 11-29-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool
For the $450 I paid predator, it's a well needed insurance policy. My first set took a crap and I got a rebuild for free.

Its a detailed process starting with setup bearings, then the tedious work of getting the shims right. I'd rather pay to have it done.

Wow, pred quoted me 1400 just labor

Oldguy 11-29-2012 10:09 PM

It is beyond tedious, and nerve wracking, in that if you screw up the whole thing is just so much scrap metal. When I did mine I had someone who knew what he was doing checking everything I did. When I regear next spring I may just say screw it and let him do it.

I do have a set of D44 setup bearings you're welcome to borrow for the project.

Full Spool 11-29-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 3049558)

front and rear?

jagerhelix 11-29-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool

front and rear?

Yep, that's with doing the rear arb too

Oldguy 11-29-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 3049558)

Predator jacks the labor rates if you supply your own parts. They like to sell the parts that they put in.

Rooster454 11-29-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 3049604)
Yep, that's with doing the rear arb too

Did you check with High Country 4x4 or Rokmen?

They may be about the same rate, but You may get lucky

backcountryislife 11-30-2012 08:40 AM

I've got a guy up here who does gears for everyone around here, he's doing mine today. I'll ask him what he would charge, he's who most of the serious locals have do their more technical work, and he also does them for some nasty diesels too. He had a big diesel performance shop but blew his back & retired, but he still does lighter jobs like gears. He's VERY reasonable... might make it worth the drive for you, I'll find out this afternoon after he finishes mine.

jagerhelix 11-30-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backcountryislife
I've got a guy up here who does gears for everyone around here, he's doing mine today. I'll ask him what he would charge, he's who most of the serious locals have do their more technical work, and he also does them for some nasty diesels too. He had a big diesel performance shop but blew his back & retired, but he still does lighter jobs like gears. He's VERY reasonable... might make it worth the drive for you, I'll find out this afternoon after he finishes mine.

Cool man, let me know. There will be a slight delay since I just realized they sent me the wrong arb model.

backcountryislife 11-30-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 3050846)
Cool man, let me know. There will be a slight delay since I just realized they sent me the wrong arb model.

Gotta love that kind of thing!!

I'm sitting here cringing today hoping everything I got is right & we don't hit any snags so I can play tomorrow!

backcountryislife 11-30-2012 07:46 PM

Just got back from getting mine in & doing a break in drive... UNF***ING REAL. I can stomp on the brake & it won't stall... I can idle up a wall at my house that makes my rear tire touch. I'm amazed at what a difference it is.

He said he'd do your gears & locker install for $650.
Mine are quiet as my car... ran it on the lift for a while before we did a test drive, Mesh looks great... I'm so stoked.

Hidrorayo 11-30-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backcountryislife (Post 3052812)
Just got back from getting mine in & doing a break in drive... UNF***ING REAL. I can stomp on the brake & it won't stall... I can idle up a wall at my house that makes my rear tire touch. I'm amazed at what a difference it is.

Very nice! Do you still need your 2x4? lol

backcountryislife 11-30-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidrorayo (Post 3053065)
Very nice! Do you still need your 2x4? lol

Easy on the 2x4 yo...
Every time you see a manual jk roll back on a feature... Just remeber

2x4 yo!

All joking aside though, you'd be surprised at how well it works. Looks silly as sh##, but it works.

jagerhelix 11-30-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backcountryislife (Post 3053444)

Easy on the 2x4 yo...
Every time you see a manual jk roll back on a feature... Just remeber

2x4 yo!

All joking aside though, you'd be surprised at how well it works. Looks silly as sh##, but it works.

I still think you should cover it up with a bare foot pedal.

backcountryislife 12-01-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagerhelix (Post 3053451)
I still think you should cover it up with a bare foot pedal.

Gotta be honest... that would be hilarious...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CHROME-BAREFO...uT!~~60_12.JPG

Oh yeah... that's the look!! :D