Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Strong exhaust smell in cab. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/strong-exhaust-smell-in-cab-202615.html)

reissigree 11-30-2012 03:17 PM

Strong exhaust smell in cab.
 
My Jeep is straight-piped so my exhaust smells really strong. Since it was straight piped, that strong smell leaks into my cab every time I slow down. Where is it probably coming in and how can I prevent this?
I have gaps in my Jeep where my drain plugs go, my door seals are missing so air is sucked in there, and I have a soft top which air travels through

Moabrubi 11-30-2012 03:28 PM

You removed the cats and muffler? Did you notice any smell before you straight piped it?

Dextreme 11-30-2012 03:34 PM

You might change how you have the tip of the exhaust. Usually it rolls in from the back due to the votex/cyclone/neg pressure effects....but without the cat, it going to stink like a car or the 60's. Exhausting out the side might help solve your issues.

reissigree 11-30-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3051836)
You removed the cats and muffler? Did you notice any smell before you straight piped it?

No, that's what I'm saying. I know it is happening because of what I did, I'm just trying to stop it lol

reissigree 11-30-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3051853)
You might change how you have the tip of the exhaust. Usually it rolls in from the back due to the votex/cyclone/neg pressure effects....but without the cat, it going to stink like a car or the 60's. Exhausting out the side might help solve your issues.

Thanks I'll give it a try! How would you recommend doing that?

Dextreme 11-30-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reissigree (Post 3051883)
Thanks I'll give it a try! How would you recommend doing that?

This is sort of what I mean...directing it out the side vs the back.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../tailpipe1.jpg

Moabrubi 11-30-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reissigree (Post 3051861)
No, that's what I'm saying. I know it is happening because of what I did, I'm just trying to stop it lol

Well sitting at a stop light it's going to stink you won't really be able to stop it. Did you put a turndown after the transfercase skid or did you take it all the way back? Straight pipes aren't such a great idea though, I hope you don't have smog checks or inspections.

TJammin 11-30-2012 04:11 PM

Back pressure isn't a bad thing... what was accomplished at the end of the day by running straight pipes? If there is no benefit to the straight pipes I'd say the problem isn't the smell.

reissigree 11-30-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJammin (Post 3051957)
Back pressure isn't a bad thing... what was accomplished at the end of the day by running straight pipes? If there is no benefit to the straight pipes I'd say the problem isn't the smell.

The reason was because my cat was busted and rattled and annoyed the shit out of me so I had a guy just cut it off and re-weld it. Wish I could take it back lol.

reissigree 11-30-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3051905)
This is sort of what I mean...directing it out the side vs the back.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../tailpipe1.jpg

Thanks. What toold di you use to accomplish that? Haha sorry, I don't have any experience with welding or anything like that

Dextreme 11-30-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reissigree (Post 3051991)
Thanks. What toold di you use to accomplish that? Haha sorry, I don't have any experience with welding or anything like that

You should be able to find clamp on tips in 2 1/4" similar to this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...eSCguNB4VWb1CA


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.