Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   302 swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/302-swap-202616.html)

TJCOUNTRYBOY 11-30-2012 02:20 PM

302 swap
 
ok so i have a 98 2.5 and just blew my cylinder head im looking to do a 302 swap with the ax15 ( i know i have a ax5) one thing that worries me is the wiring ? Has anyone done this swap . i also would like to pass DEQ witch from my understanding i have to use a 98 or newer motor which would mean getting a motor from a explorer. really would like to either find some good write ups or some personal experience.

Dextreme 11-30-2012 02:27 PM

Spend some time on this link if you haven't already...it lays out lots of different options and considerations.

The Novak Conversions Knowledge Base Gateway

tbensor 11-30-2012 03:18 PM

You may also consider the chevy 4.8 or 5.3 motor

TJCOUNTRYBOY 11-30-2012 08:52 PM

was thinking of swapping out the ax5 for the ax15 for now then later swapping in the motor. thanks for the link

Boston_Bruins30 11-30-2012 09:00 PM

Also check out pirate4x4 for build threads. There's a bunch I've been looking at

Stuxtruth 11-30-2012 09:01 PM

do a carb'd 302 you wont have to worry about wiring

tallzdatank 11-30-2012 09:02 PM

you could use an older motor as far as I know, it just needs to meet emissions for 1998. so you'd need to find whatever was required for a 1998 and ensure the engine could meet that.

boonie 11-30-2012 09:22 PM

I would like to do the same motor swap when my 4 banger gives up. Prob swap in auto and change t case. As I understand it you have to meet emissions of which ever is newer, vehicle or motor.
I have a 78 CJ7 with a 302 and I would not use anything else.

hmiller 11-30-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJCOUNTRYBOY
ok so i have a 98 2.5 and just blew my cylinder head im looking to do a 302 swap with the ax15 ( i know i have a ax5) one thing that worries me is the wiring ? Has anyone done this swap . i also would like to pass DEQ witch from my understanding i have to use a 98 or newer motor which would mean getting a motor from a explorer. really would like to either find some good write ups or some personal experience.

I am almost done with a 350 swap right now.

TJCOUNTRYBOY 12-01-2012 07:27 AM

I was thinking 350 for a real long time im really just trying to make up my mind and get this project started

Raiderfan001 12-01-2012 07:35 AM

350 is a no brainer imo. Cheaper to build and more power.

hmiller 12-01-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJCOUNTRYBOY
I was thinking 350 for a real long time im really just trying to make up my mind and get this project started

It can be cheaper to build. It will make more power. But it's really your choice. I prefer the 350 obviously haha

hmiller 12-01-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmiller

It can be cheaper to build. It will make more power. But it's really your choice. I prefer the 350 obviously haha

Oh yeah parts are cheaper for the 350. But I know of a fresh rebuilt 302 for sale.

98TeeJay 12-01-2012 10:49 AM

302's are cheap to build too. yes with a 350 there are a million packages out there, heads, cams, etc...but let's not forget the 302/5.0 motors are plentiful and modded to hell and back with the mustang history.

that being said, i'd do an lsx motor swap. been done a good deal before and will be done again.

TJCOUNTRYBOY 12-04-2012 12:10 PM

I was thinking the 302 for a couple reasons. everyone is putting the 350 in jeeps but i dont want to change the front axle to passenger drop and with the 302 i could mate it with a ax15 to start with.im thinking im going to do the ax15 swap and later down the road was going to do the motor swap. i would love to do some crazy build like the vette motor but im doing this myself and dont have bottomless pockets. i know the 350 is easy to find parts for but so is the 302. im just really on the fence on this. thanks for everyones feed back


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.