Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   starter hanging up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/starter-hanging-up-202664.html)

dperkinsll 11-30-2012 06:53 PM

starter hanging up

Does anyone have a problem with the starter hanging up whenever you crank like your motor? If I go a day or 2 without starting my Jeep it will hang up and keep starting even after the motor is running.

03yellowtj 11-30-2012 06:57 PM

ive had that acouple of times and thought nothing of it.

jmb6420 11-30-2012 07:50 PM

You need to fix your starter. The 'hanging up' is causing the starter pinon to eat your drive ring on your flywheel. It is much easier (and cheaper) to fix a starter problem than replace the flywheel.

unionthug 12-11-2013 09:25 PM

update

Can you tell us the outcome?

n3tfury 12-11-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb6420 (Post 3052844)
You need to fix your starter. The 'hanging up' is causing the starter pinon to eat your drive ring on your flywheel. It is much easier (and cheaper) to fix a starter problem than replace the flywheel.

I just went through this. First I had to wait a week for them to get the flywheel, then they dropped the tranny, replaced the flywheel but didn't bother trying to figure out the root cause. Goddamned idiots. Had to wait another 3 days for a new starter. I was without my 2012 JKU for 13 days. Sucked ass. Get that shit fixed ASAP.

gecko4 12-12-2013 05:26 AM

You'd be surprised what damage a weak battery/bad connections can do. If the voltage drops, the amperage draw increases to compensate. This increased amperage causes arcing, which makes the contacts on relays and solenoids stick. Modern day alternators are good battery maintainers, but not good battery chargers. If your battery has been run down recently, put a charger on it to bring it around, not just boost and drive.

n3tfury 12-12-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gecko4 (Post 6718354)
You'd be surprised what damage a weak battery/bad connections can do. If the voltage drops, the amperage draw increases to compensate. This increased amperage causes arcing, which makes the contacts on relays and solenoids stick. Modern day alternators are good battery maintainers, but not good battery chargers. If your battery has been run down recently, put a charger on it to bring it around, not just boost and drive.

Certainly not the case with mine unfortunately, but good to know. I had a new Interstate battery installed 3 months prior to this issue.

bluefire 12-12-2013 10:23 PM

Chrysler/Jeep lack of quality strikes again.

89FLIslander 04-16-2014 04:28 PM

Three possible problems. 1) Starter relay (about $35.00). 2) Starter solenoid (about $30.00 and the most likely cause). 3) The starter itself. Prices vary. I would replace the solenoid first, but like jmb said - FIX IT! It will ruin your flywheel.