Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Door Difficulties (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/door-difficulties-202823.html)

Normus 12-01-2012 04:29 PM

Door Difficulties

1 Attachment(s)
My door, is incapable of closing. I took a picture of the culprit, can someone tell me how to remedy this, please?

MellowYellow89YJ 12-01-2012 05:02 PM

It is just in the closed position..... Do your handles work? Is the mech jammed? The mech grabs the striker bolt when the door closes. Make sure the door is unlocked and pull the inside or outside handle and it should pop open. If it is jammed, hit it with some PB or WD40, pull the handle and try to move the mech with a screwdriver.

harleydragon 12-01-2012 05:40 PM

with the door handle pulled spread the arms pictured with your fingers

wranglerbrother 12-01-2012 06:34 PM

you probably have to adjust the striker either out or move it in. i had to do that mine when i switched to half doors. i would try that.. i just put a few washers between mine to move it out and it works fine.

JACK3D 12-01-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wranglerbrother (Post 3055716)
you probably have to adjust the striker either out or move it in. i had to do that mine when i switched to half doors. i would try that.. i just put a few washers between mine to move it out and it works fine.

Mine was bent inwards and I had a very hard time shutting the door.. I just bent it back out and it shut perfectly.. I discovered this after I replaced the hinges, thinking that was the problem.

camarozz 12-01-2012 06:40 PM

Yeah, +1 on the spread the fingers. the "C" s in the clasps should be pointing towards the catch that is on the body. If they are sticky, cleaning with WD is a good idea and then coating them with some white lithium grease.

harleydragon 12-01-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarozz (Post 3055730)
Yeah, +1 on the spread the fingers. the "C" s in the clasps should be pointing towards the catch that is on the body. If they are sticky, cleaning with WD is a good idea and then coating them with some white lithium grease.

yep....when you open the door,the latch pin opens these fingers..the door thinks it is shut and latched..

Normus 12-02-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellowYellow89YJ (Post 3055449)
It is just in the closed position..... Do your handles work? Is the mech jammed? The mech grabs the striker bolt when the door closes. Make sure the door is unlocked and pull the inside or outside handle and it should pop open. If it is jammed, hit it with some PB or WD40, pull the handle and try to move the mech with a screwdriver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 3055562)
with the door handle pulled spread the arms pictured with your fingers

Quote:

Originally Posted by wranglerbrother (Post 3055716)

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarozz (Post 3055730)

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 3055758)
yep....when you open the door,the latch pin opens these fingers..the door thinks it is shut and latched..

Thanks for all the feedback,the striker is in the correct orientation, and I could not get the fingers to move. I am thinking it must be locked, I cannot believe I forgot to check. Something I will look into when the sun comes up.

Normus 12-02-2012 07:24 PM

It was locked. Guess that's why doors don't belong on Jeeps, eh?

harleydragon 12-02-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normus (Post 3059165)
It was locked. Guess that's why doors don't belong on Jeeps, eh?

yes...but,that problem won't stump you next time

Mason505 12-02-2012 08:24 PM

Also you might want to zip tie the strikers in place so they don't slip

Normus 12-02-2012 08:45 PM

I thought I had the lock disabled,(meaning that the interior door handle had a lock switch, just non-functioning) but somehow I managed to know the assembly into the "locked" position. Definitely won't be stumping me anymore. On another note, the replacement exterior paddle handle I ordered for the door, doesn't work. I have it connected exactly as it should be, any thoughts on what is wrong?

beardown 12-04-2012 07:13 PM

I'm restoring my doors rt now and those mechanisms can become pretty seized! I took my door apart and soaked it with pb blaster, nice and smooth now

Normus 12-04-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardown (Post 3066999)
I'm restoring my doors rt now and those mechanisms can become pretty seized! I took my door apart and soaked it with pb blaster, nice and smooth now

I will definitely be doing that when the new handle comes, just in case.