Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   tj steering, suspension question. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-steering-suspension-question-202938.html)

Ryan_M 12-01-2012 11:06 PM

tj steering, suspension question.

Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a 1997 wrangler. I just bought this from a dealer. It has a 3" suspension lift on 33-12.50-15 tires.the issue is that it gets to be a handfull on rough roads. Wants to wander? It seems to be fine on a smooth roads. I have had the upper ball joints replaced and just had an alignment done. I am having new shocks put on soon. The steering and swaybar look to be fairly parallel to each other. If anyone has any ideas of what else to look at I would appreciate the help!

srad600 12-02-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_M (Post 3056791)
Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a 1997 wrangler. I just bought this from a dealer. It has a 3" suspension lift on 33-12.50-15 tires.the issue is that it gets to be a handfull on rough roads. Wants to wander? It seems to be fine on a smooth roads. I have had the upper ball joints replaced and just had an alignment done. I am having new shocks put on soon. The steering and swaybar look to be fairly parallel to each other. If anyone has any ideas of what else to look at I would appreciate the help!

The steering is sloppy? Is there slop in the wheel before the tires actually turn? Have you checked your tie rod ends ? Take a pic of your steering set up and post it up.

I just completely redid my front end so its pretty fresh in my mind bet I'm trying to figure out exactly what your issue is.

InvertChaos 12-02-2012 12:47 AM

What psi are you running your tires at?

WranglerWarrior 12-02-2012 01:18 AM

Yeah a pic of your suspension would help buddy. And have you experienced the DW?

Ryan_M 12-02-2012 06:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the steering is tight. No DW. I did find that the steering stabilizer was loose, so I tightened it up and it is not as noticable. It is like the jeep gets pushed to the side when it goes over uneven areas. I am trying to get pics to load on here. Thanks!

Patrick H 12-02-2012 08:13 PM

You have a dropped pitman arm, which induces bump steer. Put a stock pitman arm on it and report back.

Ryan_M 12-02-2012 08:17 PM

I thought the drop pitman was supposed to fix that problem not cause it?

WranglerWarrior 12-02-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H
You have a dropped pitman arm, which induces bump steer. Put a stock pitman arm on it and report back.

Agree

Patrick H 12-02-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_M (Post 3059689)
I thought the drop pitman was supposed to fix that problem not cause it?

Only if the frame end of the track bar has been lowered, which yours has not.

Ryan_M 12-02-2012 08:52 PM

Well it's worth a try! I am in a learning process with this thing. I just got it aligned so I want to make sure what ever I do will help before I have to pay for another alignment. Would it be better to lower the track bar? Thanks!

Patrick H 12-02-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_M (Post 3059825)
Well it's worth a try! I am in a learning process with this thing. I just got it aligned so I want to make sure what ever I do will help before I have to pay for another alignment. Would it be better to lower the track bar? Thanks!

Not with a small lift. Just put a stock pitman on it.

Ryan_M 12-02-2012 09:04 PM

Ok thanks! I'll give it a try.

Ryan_M 12-13-2012 08:00 PM

Ok. So I think my jeep has a Trailmaster lift kit on it. The only thing that has a name on it is the warning sticker on the visor. The steering stabilizer is a skyjacker brand. I was doing some looking on line and as far as I can tell, trailmaster does not make a 3" lift? Am I right on this? If so, I must have a 4" lift. Does this make a difference on the pitman arm advice? I do have a new one on the way but I just learned this new info. Just FYI, I bought this from a dealer who told me it had a 3 inch lift but they didn't know much about jeeps, so I guess I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the advice!

Black Magic Brakes 12-13-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_M (Post 3101400)
Ok. So I think my jeep has a Trailmaster lift kit on it. The only thing that has a name on it is the warning sticker on the visor. The steering stabilizer is a skyjacker brand. I was doing some looking on line and as far as I can tell, trailmaster does not make a 3" lift? Am I right on this? If so, I must have a 4" lift. Does this make a difference on the pitman arm advice? I do have a new one on the way but I just learned this new info. Just FYI, I bought this from a dealer who told me it had a 3 inch lift but they didn't know much about jeeps, so I guess I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the advice!

When you grow weary of the crappy handling, your hearing will improve dramatically and you will listen to sound advice. Until then, not so much. Lift height is not what matters, the relationship between the draglink and the trackbar is what matters and yours is not very happy. Go make it happy.

Ryan_M 12-13-2012 10:27 PM

Like I said, I have a new pitman arm coming. Just thought I might throw that out there. I totally agree.

FireMike 12-13-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3101948)
When you grow weary of the crappy handling, your hearing will improve dramatically and you will listen to sound advice. Until then, not so much. Lift height is not what matters, the relationship between the draglink and the trackbar is what matters and yours is not very happy. Go make it happy.

He said he would try it!?!?!?! I don't think he has a "listening" problem. I think YOU DO. :banghead:

UnlimitedLJ04 12-13-2012 10:43 PM

when you had the alignment done, they should have given you a print out. What did the shop say the caster was?

Black Magic Brakes 12-14-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3102024)
He said he would try it!?!?!?! I don't think he has a "listening" problem. I think YOU DO. :banghead:

Before you try and correct me, perhaps you can go to his first post and help the class by pointing out what is incorrect with it. There is a glaring error you should help us with.

Jaxon1023 12-14-2012 07:28 AM

That's why I got a lifetime alignment from Firestone. My 97 was doing the same thing but I had a stock pitman arm. I had a worn out track bar so replaced that and replaced the stock stabilizer for a rancho unit. Still have some issues but not nearly as bad. Mine is on 33's with a 4" pro comp lift

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...44D53BCAF5.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...44DFF87E63.jpg

FireMike 12-14-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3102608)
Before you try and correct me, perhaps you can go to his first post and help the class by pointing out what is incorrect with it. There is a glaring error you should help us with.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that you kinda came across as jerk. This is not the place for that. go to the jk forum. good day............I said good day!

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 10:15 AM

First of all, I live in a house with 2 teen-age daughters. I have plenty of drama in my life. I don't need it on here. My garage and jeep are a peaceful retreat from that. I love tinkering with the jeep. To answer the questions, I don't have a print out from the alignment. They said they would check the alignment again and straighten the steering wheel for free when I get the pitman changed.

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxon1023 (Post 3102641)
That's why I got a lifetime alignment from Firestone. My 97 was doing the same thing but I had a stock pitman arm. I had a worn out track bar so replaced that and replaced the stock stabilizer for a rancho unit. Still have some issues but not nearly as bad. Mine is on 33's with a 4" pro comp lift

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...44D53BCAF5.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...44DFF87E63.jpg

Good looking jeep bud! Looks a lot like mine! Thanks!

TimboSlice 12-14-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3103255)
I just wanted to bring to your attention that you kinda came across as jerk. This is not the place for that. go to the jk forum. good day............I said good day!

Especially when its a vendor.

Jerry Bransford 12-14-2012 10:24 AM

Ryan you have received some good advice above, with a key piece being to reinstall the OE non-dropped Pitman arm. Older Jeeps generally always needed dropped Pitman arms after installing a suspension lift but the steering geometry was greatly improved in 1997 so newer Wranglers don't normally need a dropped Pitman arm. Installing a dropped Pitman arm will generally cause steering and bump steer problems in a Wrangler TJ.

Also, you never answered a key question asked early in this thread... exactly what tire pressure are you running?

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 10:56 AM

I will check the pressure when I get home from work. I did miss that. Sorry. I would assume they are at recommended pressure but I will check. They told me at the tire shop that they had aired a few up that were a little low.

Jerry Bransford 12-14-2012 11:39 AM

Amazingly, tire shops are notorious for overinflating tires. They don't really teach the kids they hire much more than how to bust down tires & balance them. Out of ignorance, they often just inflate the tires to the air pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall which isnever the correct air pressure to use. :)

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 11:59 AM

Just out of curiosity, what do you think I should be running for tire pressure?

Jerry Bransford 12-14-2012 12:09 PM

For a 33x12.50 tire, 26 to 28 psi. 26-27 is fine around town, 28 psi is good when the Jeep is fully loaded on the highway. :)

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3103701)
For a 33x12.50 tire, 26 to 28 psi. 26-27 is fine around town, 28 psi is good when the Jeep is fully loaded on the highway. :)

Thanks Jerry. I will check and adjust accordingly! I will post what I find out.:thumb:

Ryan_M 12-14-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3103606)
Amazingly, tire shops are notorious for overinflating tires. They don't really teach the kids they hire much more than how to bust down tires & balance them. Out of ignorance, they often just inflate the tires to the air pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall which isnever the correct air pressure to use. :)

Funny you should say that. I stopped in to find out some info on my situation here and I got a blank " deer in the headlights" look. They said they don't do lift kits so they didn't have any answers. Nice to have forums like this to go to!