Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   heater and this burnt smell (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/heater-and-this-burnt-smell-203126.html)

kpla51 12-02-2012 11:04 PM

heater and this burnt smell
 
so a few weeks back i was smelling this electrical burning smell in my cab while off roading it went away as soon as we stopped then took it out again this weekend and i lost all controls to my heater. when i turn the control knob for the different settings i get nothing. i checked all the fuses and they were good. it gets cold here in the mornings so all the help would be awesome.:banghead:

6rings 12-03-2012 10:25 AM

Check your resistor, it's down under dash / glovebox side, mine had leaves in it ...burnt it up had to replace it then all was good!

ohioviper 12-03-2012 10:34 AM

Just replaced the heater /ac control nob in my sons and the plug was literally melted to the switch. Put in new switch and new blower motor and new fan switch now all is well. Advanced auto parts had them in stock or you could get them online from rock auto or amazon.

Amazon.com: Jeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Vacuum Switch Mopar: Automotive

Amazon.com: Jeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Fan Switch,OEM Mopar: Automotive

kpla51 12-03-2012 11:31 AM

Thanks I'm taking the dash appart today is this a common thing?

ohioviper 12-03-2012 01:31 PM

From what I have read yes it is very common. Odds are the blower motor is bad and drawing too high a load and melting everything.

kpla51 12-03-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper
From what I have read yes it is very common. Odds are the blower motor is bad and drawing too high a load and melting everything.

So would I just disconnect the old one and put a new one in? How much do they run

UnlimitedRubicon 12-03-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpla51 (Post 3061783)
How much do they run


mopar motor - ~$80
mopar resistor - ~$16

kpla51 12-03-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper
From what I have read yes it is very common. Odds are the blower motor is bad and drawing too high a load and melting everything.

Did some snooping and when I turn the control knob for different setting it makes a sound out of the switch similar to when you push air out of a zip lock and sometimes a slight clunk by the blower motor

kpla51 12-03-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3061051)
Just replaced the heater /ac control nob in my sons and the plug was literally melted to the switch. Put in new switch and new blower motor and new fan switch now all is well. Advanced auto parts had them in stock or you could get them online from rock auto or amazon.

Amazon.com: Jeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Vacuum Switch Mopar: Automotive

Amazon.com: Jeep Wrangler TJ 99-04 Heater/AC Fan Switch,OEM Mopar: Automotive

i just ordered them lets hope it works the vacuum switch was making funny sounds and had parts shaking in it so i got the one you posted

ohioviper 12-03-2012 11:54 PM

Your gonna need a blower motor and possibly a resistor or the new switch will get fried like the old one.The reason it is melting is because the blower motor is dragging and pulling to many amps.

kpla51 12-04-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper
Your gonna need a blower motor and possibly a resistor or the new switch will get fried like the old one.The reason it is melting is because the blower motor is dragging and pulling to many amps.

The switch wasn't melted I believe the switch just was faulty

jksport12 12-04-2012 12:33 PM

I just went through a similar problem with my heater. I tore apart the dash and saw someone previously had removed the electrical plug from control side and wired the wires into themselves directly. I could see why they did this. The plug must have melted so they just got rid of it. I went back and replaced the resistor, fan speed switch, and redid the wiring on the control side. Now it works like a champ. I am going to test the amp draw from the blower motor to see if it's drawing too many amps. If so I will replace the blower. This is a pretty common problem and there are fixes.

Blower Motor Relay Walk Through - JeepForum.com

This link shows how to wire in seperate relays to control the amount of amps drawn and reduce heat to prevent melting. I haven't yet done this but will after checking out the blower motor.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.