Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Newbie could use tire advice... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/newbie-could-use-tire-advice-203162.html)

remssim 12-03-2012 06:05 AM

Newbie could use tire advice...

Hello- I am new to forums, Jeeps, and everything mechanical... I recently got rid of my 2010 BMW coupe for a 2003 Rubicon. I always wanted a jeep and although this was wheeled hard it was loved and cared for mechanically. I do need tires (big time). It currently has 34' x 10.5 superswampers on 17inch rims. I'm not sure what that translates to in the other numbers I see. I'm thinking of going with 33' tires x 10.5 for the same rims to save a few bucks. I would like a very aggressive looking tire that can go off road. But she will likely see more snow than mud as I live in PA. I'm looking at some by Hanook.

This is my daily driver.

Any suggestions? I just dont want to make and rookie moves.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 06:37 AM

Look at nitto mud grapplers. Very aggressive tread. Sound awesome also. Some hate it some love it

remssim 12-03-2012 08:17 AM

Thank you. I will check them out.

remssim 12-03-2012 08:25 AM

I just checked on line- that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of! I currently have 10.5' wide tires and it looks like these come in 12'. This may be a dumb question but will they fit on my rims? I guess the width can vary? Someone told me the more narrow the tire the better in the snow? Is this true.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 08:30 AM

Couldn't tell you that but it should fit your wheel. My buddy has them on his stock rubi wheels no problem.

Glad you like them. Im thinking of getting them myself

MOTO X TJ 12-03-2012 02:00 PM

GOODYEAR DURATRACS!! Discount tire direct has them for great prices w/ free shipping. They are smooth riding, no road noise, aggressive, inexpensive, and they wear very well....believe me if you get duratracs from dtd, you will be VERY happy!!

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTO X TJ (Post 3061866)
GOODYEAR DURATRACS!! Discount tire direct has them for great prices w/ free shipping. They are smooth riding, no road noise, aggressive, inexpensive, and they wear very well....believe me if you get duratracs from dtd, you will be VERY happy!!

Duratracs are a very good tire but mud grapplers look wayy more BA

remssim 12-03-2012 04:18 PM

I like the aggressive look. The jeep looks mean anyway. My issue is that I know I have 34 x 10.5 x 17s and I dont know what the conversion is to the other sizes listed. I guess I can call the companies and see. I just want to avoid $1500 of tires showing up at my door and then not fitting!

remssim 12-03-2012 04:26 PM

Also - Im seeing that alot of places wont put on tires over 30"??? What do you guys normally do?

Moabrubi 12-03-2012 04:30 PM

The tires I would consider running are Goodyear Mtr/K, Cooper STT, or BFG Krawlers. Therre's a lot of good brands out there, but these stick out to me the most for aggressive tires that are still streetable.

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 04:31 PM

Well there's a way to kinda convert it but it is confusing myself. But offroad shops will or some little tire shops. Just depends.

remssim 12-03-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks everyone!

UnlimitedRubicon 12-03-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjdude08 (Post 3060701)
Look at nitto mud grapplers. Very aggressive tread. Sound awesome also.

Only if a very loud annoying howl/drone equals awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by remssim (Post 3062384)
Also - Im seeing that alot of places wont put on tires over 30"??? What do you guys normally do?

Find a chain store that sells the tires you're looking at or take tires purchased online to a hole-in-the-wall shop with cash.

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 05:21 PM

Only if a very loud annoying howl/drone equals awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does lol.

Coffindaffer 12-03-2012 05:46 PM

Procomp extreme m/ts or toyo m/ts. They are moderately aggressive. Look awesome. Nice ride noise. And get amazing mileage. I have run 5 diff m/ts between my powerstroke( had 40x15.50r20) and my TJ (has 35x12.50r17) very satisfied with the procomps on my jeep on and offroad

remssim 12-03-2012 06:30 PM

I know I keep asking stupid questions but remember - I got rid of a sportscar for my TJ...

I went to NTB and they had no clue... Does Walmart or Sears carry anything that doesnt look and drive cheezy?

Tjdude08 12-03-2012 06:40 PM

Ntb had no cue about what?

Wally world has the goodyear wrangler authority. That's about it though.

remssim 12-03-2012 06:59 PM

I went to NTB and asked what tires they had for me. My jeep is sitting on 34 SS now. They sugested a much smaller tire on 15s simply because they didnt have anything bigger. The manager than came over and said I should look on Tire Rack. Nice.

UnlimitedRubicon 12-04-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remssim (Post 3063017)
I went to NTB and asked what tires they had for me. My jeep is sitting on 34 SS now. They sugested a much smaller tire on 15s simply because they didnt have anything bigger. The manager than came over and said I should look on Tire Rack. Nice.

Where are you (city/state)?

Coffindaffer 12-04-2012 10:23 AM

Walmart or sams won't mount anything bigger than what your vehicle comes with stock. Buy from tire rack or 4wheelonline.com. Awesome site with good prices. They have a whole section of jeep parts too :)

remssim 12-04-2012 11:01 AM

Thanks!

Tjdude08 12-04-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffindaffer (Post 3065286)
Walmart or sams won't mount anything bigger than what your vehicle comes with stock. Buy from tire rack or 4wheelonline.com. Awesome site with good prices. They have a whole section of jeep parts too :)

If he's using his same wheels then that wont work.. great place to buy them from but still needs someone to mount them. Find a local owned tire shop and ask them to do it.

Sherpa 12-04-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remssim (Post 3060672)
I would like a very aggressive looking tire that can go off road.

That's what you would like, yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by remssim (Post 3060672)
But she will likely see more snow than mud as I live in PA. I'm looking at some by Hanook.

This is my daily driver.

... but it's not what you need. You would be better served by something less aggressive, and the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac is about as aggressive as I would suggest for your intended use.

DuraTrac:
http://www.discounttire.com/product/...gdyvl6.ang.jpg

In all honesty, I think you would be better served by a set of BFG All-Terrain KO tires instead. Their sipes are significantly deeper, which means you'll see better grip on hardpack snow as the tire wears, plus they will be less noisy which is a tremendous benefit on the daily commute.

All-Terrain KO:
http://www.discounttire.com/product/...mtavl8.ang.jpg

An all-out mud tire (such as the aforementioned Mud Grappler, or even the BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s that I run) uses larger lugs which are much more likely to skid across hardpack snow and ice rather than bite into it... and they'll be very noisy and a bit rough-riding. In other words, they're about the worst tires you can put on a daily driver, particularly in the snow belt.

Nitto Mud Grappler:
http://www.discounttire.com/product/...nitvm1.ang.jpg

BFG Mud-Terrain KM2:
http://www.discounttire.com/product/...mtavm7.ang.jpg

Be smart. Forget about the "coolness" factor for a minute and actually consider your intended use, then choose accordingly.

remssim 12-04-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. I only go about 4 miles to work and really wanted this jeep so I could fit the kids, fishing ploes, and the dog and go anywhere. You are right - I think the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac may be a good compromise.

remssim 12-04-2012 01:17 PM

:) * Fishing Poles

SurfKaster 12-04-2012 02:18 PM

I'd definitely consider a hybrid like the duratrac. They don't have a strong sidewall, but would most likely fit your needs better than a MT for DD. MTs are awesome, but the noise will wear you down after awhile.

ks9mm 01-03-2013 12:53 PM

what about Falken
Wild Peak A/T ?

they seem to be getting pretty good reviews and have a nice look...

I am in the same boat as remssim... for my 12 unlimited... want something wide, good looking that works on daily driver .

Dextreme 01-03-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ks9mm (Post 3177646)
what about Falken
Wild Peak A/T ?

they seem to be getting pretty good reviews and have a nice look...

I am in the same boat as remssim... for my 12 unlimited... want something wide, good looking that works on daily driver .

Those are fine if you never leave the pavement/gravel road or don't live in a muddy and snowy climate. Also, personally I will only buy tires "Made in the USA." Those are not.

kfdjason7620 01-03-2013 01:52 PM

I bought my 33x10.5x15 bfg km2's off of eBay brand new for $844 shipped. Then I took them to a local tire shop and he mounted and balanced em for $60. So I have got a total of $904 in em, beat that

KreepAlong 01-03-2013 02:00 PM

I just purchased the Cooper STT in 32", for cool factor and offroad, they are great. Got lots of compliments in the parking lots. Haven't tried them in any real snow just yet, but can tell you ,imo, the BFgoodrich AT KO goes through any snow your bumper will clear. Had the tire for 50k miles. Great tire in snow.