Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   help! lj rear track bar issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/help-lj-rear-track-bar-issues-203311.html)

PHILDABEAST 12-03-2012 07:07 PM

help! lj rear track bar issues
 
I have and 06 lj rubicon with an OME 2.5" lift w/ track bar bracket, and RE adjustable CA's. My rear track bar is hitting on the gas tank skid mount solid enough to stop up travel well before it gets to the bump stops (extended). Does anybody else have this problem?

UnlimitedLJ04 12-03-2012 07:08 PM

the RE arms are pushed out too far, you need to check the axle at full bump and line the bumpstops up at full bump, and possibly buy a new rear track bar with a better bend.

read this:
This is why you check full bump

PHILDABEAST 12-03-2012 07:15 PM

This lift was installed by the PO. The lower CA's don't get any shorter and the uppers are out just enough to correct the pinion angle. I just noticed this while checking it full (if it would make it there) bump so I can figure out a better shock set up.

UnlimitedLJ04 12-03-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILDABEAST (Post 3063088)
This lift was installed by the PO. The lower CA's don't get any shorter and the uppers are out just enough to correct the pinion angle. I just noticed this while checking it full (if it would make it there) bump so I can figure out a better shock set up.

then you may need to get new lowers than will go shorter. right now you're pivoting the axle on the lower control arm bolt, not the hub center...adjusting the uppers out pushes the axle back into the tank.

PHILDABEAST 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

I've never used any RE parts before, is this a common problem with their CA'S? I have a hard time believing their r&d is that poor. I guess I'll try to figure out a different solution since I don't really care to lose any more wheelbase, if anything I'd like to move the rear axle back a little to center the tires in the wheel wells. Thanks for the help.

UnlimitedLJ04 12-03-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILDABEAST (Post 3063259)
I have a hard time believing their r&d is that poor.

well they did go bankrupt because they couldn't design a bushing that lasted more than a few months. what's that tell you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILDABEAST (Post 3063259)
I guess I'll try to figure out a different solution since I don't really care to lose any more wheelbase, if anything I'd like to move the rear axle back a little to center the tires in the wheel wells. Thanks for the help.

you don't understand the concept i've tried to convey. what matters is what happens at full bump. read the link.

if you center the tires in the wheel well at ride height, you're pushing the tires into the rear of the fenders and the axle & track bar into the gas tank at full bump.

if you don't believe me, pull your springs out and push your axle to full bump. you'll learn stuff, I promise.

PHILDABEAST 12-03-2012 08:21 PM

Trust me, I FULLY understand the the concept. This isn't my first jeep, I've owned and built everything from old school cherokees to toyotas, to full tube chassis buggys. I was just hoping to find an easier solution than having to build a new track bar or completely remounting my gas tank and skid plate.

UnlimitedLJ04 12-03-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILDABEAST (Post 3063403)
Trust me, I FULLY understand the the concept. This isn't my first jeep, I've owned and built everything from old school cherokees to toyotas, to full tube chassis buggys. I was just hoping to find an easier solution than having to build a new track bar or completely remounting my gas tank and skid plate.

the gas tank and skid plate don't have anything to do with it. the problem is the track bar bends and the axle position.


Currie sells a new rear track bar & bracket that uses a better bend, which will fix that part of the problem...but you'll still need to fix the axle position. If the arms don't adjust short enough, then cut some tube off them or get new arms that do adjust properly.

PHILDABEAST 12-03-2012 08:44 PM

Ok good, currie makes a track bar with a better bend, that's really all I needed to know. Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.