Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   New Jeep Owner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/new-jeep-owner-203330.html)

GHomer8 12-03-2012 08:42 PM

New Jeep Owner
 
I just recently bought a 99' TJ and within the next year or so am looking into getting it lifted.

For starters, I go off-roading at least once if not 2 or 3 times a week as I currently live in Arizona and where there are plenty of trails to hit just about anywhere you go. With that being said, I've noticed a lot of the trails that I've been going on have been hard for my stock Jeep to get around; with that being said, I'm still extremely impressed with their overall stock capability and strength of the 4.0 I6 engine. I know I'll be having the Jeep for a long time so I want to be sure I don't make any upgrades on it that I'll have to get rid of in the future. I know a vehicle isn't an investment but am willing to put out the extra couple dollars and doing something the right way the first time rather than "making it work for the moment."

My Question: I've been lookin' at tire sizes and lifts and want some good height, 35's seem like a good size on a stock dana30 but I think I want a little bigger - at the same time I realize I'd definitely need new front and rear axles, drive shaft, etc. if I went as big as 40's. What are your opinions for tire sizes and good suspension lift height combinations? I'd like to spend around $5,000 or under if possible but am open to any options as I am trying to figure out what'll work best for the future as I know there's a big difference between a 35" setup and a 40" setup. I also know people who can help me with fabrication of parts but am curious how much it would be for someone else to install it as well.

Thanks in advance.

backwards 12-03-2012 08:46 PM

Welcome

GHomer8 12-03-2012 08:51 PM

Thank you! Do you have any advice as far as tire and lift sizes? I've looked through a hundred threads but can't find one that solely answered my question. Thanks.

dabolt55 12-03-2012 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forum, post your questions here for responses though, this section is to meet and greet new members... > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum

SilverSport 12-03-2012 09:10 PM

Welcome Aboard! :wavey:

MrSig 12-04-2012 03:19 AM

http://r23.imgfast.net/users/2314/13...3032514546.gif and enjoy the forum!

GHomer8 12-04-2012 06:43 AM

Wow now I really feel stupid haha, alright well I guess I have an excuse of this being the first forum I've ever been on. Thanks for the right direction and welcoming, I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Thanks again all.

Beastmaster 12-04-2012 06:54 AM

Welcome to the forum from Tucson! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

GHomer8 12-04-2012 06:56 AM

I was in Tucson the other day actually going through and went a little north into Box Canyon Trail area, it's beautiful down there. Are you part of a Jeep Club in Tucson?

pwybron 12-04-2012 07:01 AM

Welcome!! I live in NY but I go to Arizona a few times a year. What a great state it must be to go Offroad.

jokerchief462 12-04-2012 06:50 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!

jsmithtx 12-04-2012 08:35 PM

Welcome to the forum! Are you planning on regearing too?

silver rubi 12-04-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHomer8 (Post 3064675)
Wow now I really feel stupid haha, alright well I guess I have an excuse of this being the first forum I've ever been on. Thanks for the right direction and welcoming, I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Thanks again all.

No reason to feel stupid... If you have any questions just ask. There are many knowledgeable people on the forum that will help you out. Welcome to the forum!

GHomer8 12-05-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver rubi (Post 3068022)
No reason to feel stupid... If you have any questions just ask. There are many knowledgeable people on the forum that will help you out. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Silver, and it seems it for sure! Every time I look up TJ questions this forum always came up first, glad I joined!

silver rubi 12-05-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHomer8 (Post 3068689)
Thanks Silver, and it seems it for sure! Every time I look up TJ questions this forum always came up first, glad I joined!

It's an excellent place to go to to get questions answered, meet new friends, and even have people just to talk to about random stuff...
One of the other Jeepers and I have put together s jeep meet for next weekend. Started as 10. Now has over 60. I met him on here. We've give mudding around town end he's helping me put new shocks and ujoints on my Rubi... All because I asked for help on here.... :thumb: hope you're having a good evening.

GHomer8 12-09-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver rubi (Post 3068700)
It's an excellent place to go to to get questions answered, meet new friends, and even have people just to talk to about random stuff...
One of the other Jeepers and I have put together s jeep meet for next weekend. Started as 10. Now has over 60. I met him on here. We've give mudding around town end he's helping me put new shocks and ujoints on my Rubi... All because I asked for help on here.... :thumb: hope you're having a good evening.

Wow I'm impressed and yes that's exactly what I'm looking for! I just wanna jump right in it and learn as much as possible. I've always been great with hands on learning and teaching myself how to take things apart and put it back together so I think this site will help me get there with a Wrangler. How did you meet the ppl btw? On this type of forum or just on a regular post on the questions forum section?! I'm from Boston but moved to Arizona a year ago so don't know a lot of ppl out here to go ridin with. I'm willing to drive 3 hours way or more just to have a chance to ride with ppl in a convoy for a day or week or whatever. That's the one thing I've always admired about Jeeps and have been wanting to find ppl like that it here in AZ - any suggestions?! And thank you I hope you have a great night as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.