Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   1st scheduled service maintenance?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/1st-scheduled-service-maintenance-203420.html)

DozerJK 12-04-2012 10:26 AM

1st scheduled service maintenance??

Is the "1st scheduled service maintenance" really worth the money?

I hit my 3 month of ownership mark (and 5,500 miles) last week and just had the oil changed... should I get the whole kit and kaboodle as well?

daggo66 12-04-2012 11:31 AM

Just make sure you take a deep breath when you bend over.

SilverSport 12-04-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DozerJK (Post 3065303)
Is the "1st scheduled service maintenance" really worth the money?

I hit my 3 month of ownership mark (and 5,500 miles) last week and just had the oil changed... should I get the whole kit and kaboodle as well?

If you have the means to do oil changes and routine maintenance yourself, you will gain valuable experience and save money at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 3065541)

This statement is not politically correct. :rofl:

kik 12-04-2012 01:12 PM

What else do they want to do at 5,500 miles. Ok, I would rotate the tires. Nothing else.

Jeeperz Creeperz 12-04-2012 01:26 PM

I got what they call a 2 year service agreement with my purchase the last day of April (I don't know if it carried over to May) that amounts to 4 free oil changes. I usually do my own but what the heck, it was free and I can log any warranty items when they do the work.

I am assuming they want to charge for yours. If so unless they are cheap or you need to report something, do it yourself.

Why did you pick 5,500 miles? Did the oil change reminder come on?

kthrash 12-04-2012 02:12 PM

I got a free oil change letter in the mail from Jeep the other day.. about to hit 2900 miles, I guess I will run Dino oil in it for another 3K with this free oil change and then switch to Synthetic at 6K.

DozerJK 12-06-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 3065541)

haha seriously, thanks :doh:

DozerJK 12-06-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 3065880)
What else do they want to do at 5,500 miles. Ok, I would rotate the tires. Nothing else.

Rotate tires, there "

Rotating tires was the big one, then the 1## point inspection, oil, belts, etc... nothing crazy but wasn't sure if spending the money was worth it since the oil change was free, but everything else would cost me...

DozerJK 12-06-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 3065929)
I got what they call a 2 year service agreement with my purchase the last day of April (I don't know if it carried over to May) that amounts to 4 free oil changes. I usually do my own but what the heck, it was free and I can log any warranty items when they do the work.

I am assuming they want to charge for yours. If so unless they are cheap or you need to report something, do it yourself.

Why did you pick 5,500 miles? Did the oil change reminder come on?

Sales Dept/Jeep said 7,000 - Service Dept said 3,000 so I went right in the middle... and I was getting it ready for a trip / winter... No oil light though

And I didn't get the service agreement because the Dealership I bought it out is pretty awful and far away and I had to use them only (weird)... the service was pretty much just oil changes

Jeeperz Creeperz 12-06-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DozerJK (Post 3073356)
Sales Dept/Jeep said 7,000 - Service Dept said 3,000 so I went right in the middle... and I was getting it ready for a trip / winter... No oil light though

And I didn't get the service agreement because the Dealership I bought it out is pretty awful and far away and I had to use them only (weird)... the service was pretty much just oil changes

-----
I was only asking to see if the oil change reminder came on. I had mine done at 2,100 miles because I was up against the six month requirement to maintain warranty, otherwise I do mine close to the recommend 8,000 mile limit provided the oil level doesn't go down, becomes discolored or I have gone off roading with lots of idling or the oil change reminder tells me to.