Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   JKU Upgrade amp/speakers with stock head unit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/jku-upgrade-amp-speakers-with-stock-head-unit-203584.html)

Hippsdesign 12-04-2012 10:25 PM

JKU Upgrade amp/speakers with stock head unit

Hey guys First off i would like to say im new to the Jeep community (just purchased a 2013 Wrangler unlimited) and this is my first post. I have found many posts on similar topics but i still cant seem to find an answer.

Ok guys I have a 2013 JKU with the factory 430n head unit. I do not want to change my head unit,,,,I know i know im doing it the hard way. I want to upgrade my sound system to be the best it can, that means clean sounding lots of bass (not shake my windows bass but full bass) I have already purchased all of my speakers Polk audio MM6501's for the front MM651's for the sound bar and MM840 for the sub, I plan on dynomating the inside of all of the boxes and filling them with pollyfill. All of that is no problem for me but this is where i need some help.

How can I upgrade my factory amp so that I can properly power all of my high end speakers....as streamlined as possible of course.

also if you know a thread where this question is answered let me know Thanks guys!

thelinux 12-22-2012 11:09 PM

Hey, I am installing exact same speakers on my JK. I already installed front MM6501 and soon install other two.

I have no plan to upgrade amplifier yet. But after this is done depends on the result, I may end up upgrading amplifiers too.

What I know is you need some signal processing (like using cleansweep etc..) so you can feed proper signal to aftermarket amp from stock amp or headunit.

Hippsdesign 12-31-2012 09:57 AM

Great, Question did you use the cross over for the front speakers or just directly wire the driver and the tweeter separate?

I just wasnt sure how to i should wire up the front speakers, I put the 651's in the sound bar and they sound nice but those are straight forward,

Now after hearing the sound bar and watching the speaker move i am definitely going to upgrade the factory amp and get the most out of them

thelinux 01-08-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippsdesign (Post 3163462)
Great, Question did you use the cross over for the front speakers or just directly wire the driver and the tweeter separate?

I just wasnt sure how to i should wire up the front speakers, I put the 651's in the sound bar and they sound nice but those are straight forward,

Now after hearing the sound bar and watching the speaker move i am definitely going to upgrade the factory amp and get the most out of them

Yes, I used crossover. Check your PM.

Jma20a 01-08-2013 09:06 PM

For me i have always gone with a set of components, i have been amazed with the sound you get with a set of infinity kappa perfect components. I run an amp for the speakers and a separate amp for my sub.

If you want the best possible sound system than plan on spending a ton of money

Jma20a 01-08-2013 09:17 PM

What are you planning on spending

Moabite 01-13-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippsdesign (Post 3068213)
Hey guys First off i would like to say im new to the Jeep community (just purchased a 2013 Wrangler unlimited) and this is my first post. I have found many posts on similar topics but i still cant seem to find an answer.

Ok guys I have a 2013 JKU with the factory 430n head unit. I do not want to change my head unit,,,,I know i know im doing it the hard way. I want to upgrade my sound system to be the best it can, that means clean sounding lots of bass (not shake my windows bass but full bass) I have already purchased all of my speakers Polk audio MM6501's for the front MM651's for the sound bar and MM840 for the sub, I plan on dynomating the inside of all of the boxes and filling them with pollyfill. All of that is no problem for me but this is where i need some help.

How can I upgrade my factory amp so that I can properly power all of my high end speakers....as streamlined as possible of course.

also if you know a thread where this question is answered let me know Thanks guys!

So did the MM840 fit in the stock enclosure without any mod? Were you able to re-use the Alpine grill? I ordered the MM840D yesterday. The stock alpine sub appears to be a dual voice coil model. I also ordered a JBL GTO-501EZ amp to power it. Now I just need to figure out where to tap into the signal wires if I want to mount the amp under the passenger seat.

thelinux 01-14-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabite (Post 3222579)
So did the MM840 fit in the stock enclosure without any mod? Were you able to re-use the Alpine grill? I ordered the MM840D yesterday. The stock alpine sub appears to be a dual voice coil model. I also ordered a JBL GTO-501EZ amp to power it. Now I just need to figure out where to tap into the signal wires if I want to mount the amp under the passenger seat.

Seems like MM840 fits without any spacer if you are not going to use optional grill. I had to use 2 1/2inch thick spacers just to install that grill. I don't think you can reuse stock grill. But maybe I am wrong.

eboven 01-14-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippsdesign (Post 3068213)

The best way, hands down, to drastically improve your stock headunit's sound quality is with a JBL MS8 sound processor. This will take all of your factory amp's signals and sum them to get a full range signal that's usable to feed external amps, or you can use the MS8's built in amp. If you're strapped for cash, get the MS8 first, and use it's amps to drive your new speaker system. Then, when you get enough to add in an amp, pick a good 5-channel to drive all of your speakers and the sub.

You can always use line output converters to convert the factory amp's outputs into a low-level signal to feed an aftermarket amp; this will be much cheaper. The problem is that the factory "premium" amp's outputs are bandwidth limited to only allow certain frequencies on certain channels - without a ton of planning and tweaking, you will end up with gaps in the frequency range and overall poor sound quality when compared to the MS8.

Hippsdesign 02-08-2013 11:31 PM

Sounds like you are far more advanced on the audio side of things, so what your saying is get the sound processor first then use the Feed from that for an external amp that replaces the factory one....? I always feel so lost over this stuff. And the speakers sound much better than stock but they definitely need more power because they are barely working. On the sub i also have the POLK grill and used a large spacer so i could use it. I used dynomat inside the enclosures with polly fill, In the long run the speaker adapter gives just a little bit more square footage (well in theory lol)

Id4bret 12-31-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eboven (Post 3228980)
The best way, hands down, to drastically improve your stock headunit's sound quality is with a JBL MS8 sound processor. This will take all of your factory amp's signals and sum them to get a full range signal that's usable to feed external amps, or you can use the MS8's built in amp. If you're strapped for cash, get the MS8 first, and use it's amps to drive your new speaker system. Then, when you get enough to add in an amp, pick a good 5-channel to drive all of your speakers and the sub.

You can always use line output converters to convert the factory amp's outputs into a low-level signal to feed an aftermarket amp; this will be much cheaper. The problem is that the factory "premium" amp's outputs are bandwidth limited to only allow certain frequencies on certain channels - without a ton of planning and tweaking, you will end up with gaps in the frequency range and overall poor sound quality when compared to the MS8.

I have the basic stereo unconnected 130. Does it have an amp? I don't want to change the head unit either. You seem to know a lot about this. Do you recommend the jbl ms8 or the output converter. Price is not an issue. I want the clearest sound possible without changing the head unit.

ronrad 01-02-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Id4bret (Post 7091417)

I have the basic stereo unconnected 130. Does it have an amp? I don't want to change the head unit either. You seem to know a lot about this. Do you recommend the jbl ms8 or the output converter. Price is not an issue. I want the clearest sound possible without changing the head unit.

I have the ms8 as part of my build. It is an 8 channel amp in addition to a processor. It is a huge improvement to the stock system. I set it up initially with the ms8 and only replacing the sound bar speakers. Ive since done all the speakers the hu and added amps butnthe best bang for the buck was definitely the ms8. If you get one beware of the hands free phone echo there is a workaround that you can install but stock it makes handsfree phone calls unlistenable for the other person,