Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Travel Trailers

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  2JeepsThatRun 
#1 ·
Yes, travel trailers, not the pop ups. The LJ is rated to pull 3,500 lbs, but the question is, what is the best weight range and size if you're going to be living in it on the road much of the time? It needs to have at minimum a bathroom with shower/sink/toilet, a kitchen with sink and stove (no microwave), dining table, and a bed. Any recommendations for a travel trailer?

How about a trailer that seems like a travel trailer on the outside, but very lightweight by including only what's needed, not the common stuff you find in your everyday travel trailers?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Nice, but no can do. It looks like it must weigh at least 5000-8000 lbs. It has to top out at about 2800 lbs dry to allow for a couple of hundred pounds of personal stuff. Neither the Scout nor the Jeep has the power, wheelbase, nor the weight to handle a trailer of that size. I'm willing to downsize to a 12-14 footer to be able to pull it with either one. I had been considering a much smaller trailer with that toy garage in the back, only to use that rear space for something COMPLETELY different. See, in a typical trailer like yours or any travel trailer commercially made, too much horizontal space is lost to cabinets, appliances, and furniture I wouldn't need. This is just for me with the occasional visitor or two at a time. Entire walls would be used vertically to store/hold things, rather than sideways like it is in homes and apartments.

#5 ·
I have been dragging campers around for a long time. If you are going to be pulling your camper with your jeep. Get a pop-up or a hi- low type trailer. The weight is not the issue with most campers. It's the wind drag. I have a 20' travel trailer and I was pulling it with a ford F-150. With a v8 it still struggled. I would not want to pull it with my jeep at all

#6 · (Edited)
X2 on a pop-up type trailer when being towed behind a Wrangler. That's what I tow and other than its added weight which is not an issue since they are constructed pretty lightly, its low profile makes towing it pretty easy. Fleetwood makes some pretty nice pop-up trailers, some of which have showers, hot water, and stove/oven/forced-air-heat.

#8 ·
As I mentioned, I'm very set on a trailer as I described. The A-liners are very expensive and don't give me the room I need. The pop-ups, especially fabric ones won't work unless I can stay in a region with 60-80 temps YEAR-ROUND, because I will be living in it. It will be my home for a long time.

I will look into the hi-low option. My life circumstances could change completely between now and then, but that's where I'm headed at this time. I have 10 months on my lease, I will be spending the time to see what's available and decide what I want to do by July.

Oh, the small RV/towing Jeep is not an option, since I am a wage earner.

#11 ·
Is your Jeep a 2000 Wrangler Sport SWB? You have to remember that I have the LWB LJ, not a TJ. The same engines should be in both our vehicles. The difference is that extra wheelbase length that I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.