Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sound Upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sound-upgrade-203796.html)

KEITHC69 12-05-2012 08:43 PM

Sound Upgrade
 
I've got the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the factory stereo with Subwoofer, but I'm looking to upgrade the factory speakers, does anybody have any recommendations for a great sound?

Scott in Houston 12-05-2012 08:59 PM

I'm new, so I think I can get away with posting this and not sounding rude... Search. There are a TON of threads on this subject.

Not to mention, you didn't give us any information on what your car has now... 430 or 720, etc. But search is your friend on this subject.

panthermark 12-05-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 3071881)
I'm new, so I think I can get away with posting this and not sounding rude... Search. There are a TON of threads on this subject.

Not to mention, you didn't give us any information on what your car has now... 430 or 720, etc. But search is your friend on this subject.

Well done....:appl:

wassup8687 12-05-2012 09:38 PM

I still have my stockers but I've read many posts with guys that upgrade to Polks and Kickers and really like the sound.

j0nx 12-06-2012 08:00 AM

JL C2-650 and 650x. BEST speakers you can buy for the money. Simply amazing sound when paired with a decent amp and the tweeters slide right into the stock tombstones with no modification.

phllyntv 12-06-2012 08:59 AM

I just replaced all of my speakers and subwoofer about 5 weeks ago in my Wrangler Unlimited. I put in JL Audio components and coaxials speakers with a JL Audio amp. I also installed the JL Audio Subwoofer Stealthbox for Wrangler Unlimiteds with a JL Audio dedicated amp for that sub. The systems sounds amazing and its night and day compared to the infiniti system that came with my 2012. I kept the same 730N radio system and the only issue that I encountered was the JL Audio Stealthbox required additonal parts I had to order from Jeep. The Stealthbox mounted nicely and didnt take away from my cargo space in the back but as a result of removing the infiniti subwoofer and panel there were 2 pieces that I needed to add to complete the installation. If anyone decides to get the JL Audio Stealthbox ( highly recommended) here are the Jeep part numbers to the addiotional pieces you will need for the installation:

1PU12DX9AG - $80.25
1PU18DX9AD - $19.00


Here are my sound systems specs:

JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 - amp
JL Audio XD 600/1 - amp
JL Audio C2 - 650 - components
JL Audio C2 - 650x - coaxials
JL Audio Stealthbox - 13" woofer
730N HU

Ltblue 12-06-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 3073028)
JL C2-650 and 650x. BEST speakers you can buy for the money. Simply amazing sound when paired with a decent amp and the tweeters slide right into the stock tombstones with no modification.

I have those too and yes they are nice :)

bbrunick 12-06-2012 05:38 PM

I am looking to install this exact JL audio set up in my new Jeep. Do you happen to have pictures of your amp Installation? I am debating between under the seats and in the cargo area. Would love your advice!

KEITHC69 12-06-2012 07:57 PM

I really do appreciate your information. What were the 2 parts that you ordered for though?

DaveStruggle 12-06-2012 09:03 PM

I did the JL change too......JL C5 650 in the dash....and JL C5 650x in the soundbar,but those in the soundbar cause avery loud rattle,vibration even on spoken channel on the radio a very tiny volume,so my audio dealer put tape to secure the wirring and the crossover and add a liitle piece of acoustic tissue now I ve got no rattle but no High too they sound like crap exactly like my old Infinity with their original amplifier...It sucks hard......no ratlle or no high.
I put a JL AUDIO 12w6 v2 in a custom kind of sthealthbox (very good job on this from my audio dealer ).I love this sub.
I had an Alpine PDX5 with Pioneer AVH-P4400BH to run those speakers and sub....oh my god this little Alpine amplifier is realy realy bad....at every loud bass part he shut off and i have to restart my JK...It suppose to handle well those speakers and sub...Like it s wrote in the manual 75watts rms 4 channels and 300Watts at 2-4ohm mono.......What a joke......
So I about to purchase a factory refurbished JL HD900/5 on ebay,what do you think on thise refurbished units.

p.s. sorry for my english I am a french canadian

fishmd 12-06-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveStruggle
I did the JL change too......JL C5 650 in the dash....and JL C5 650x in the soundbar,but those in the soundbar cause avery loud rattle,vibration even on spoken channel on the radio a very tiny volume,so my audio dealer put tape to secure the wirring and the crossover and add a liitle piece of acoustic tissue now I ve got no rattle but no High too they sound like crap exactly like my old Infinity with their original amplifier...It sucks hard......no ratlle or no high.
I put a JL AUDIO 12w6 v2 in a custom kind of sthealthbox (very good job on this from my audio dealer ).I love this sub.
I had an Alpine PDX5 with Pioneer AVH-P4400BH to run those speakers and sub....oh my god this little Alpine amplifier is realy realy bad....at every loud bass part he shut off and i have to restart my JK...It suppose to handle well those speakers and sub...Like it s wrote in the manual 75watts rms 4 channels and 300Watts at 2-4ohm mono.......What a joke......
So I about to purchase a factory refurbished JL HD900/5 on ebay,what do you think on thise refurbished units.

p.s. sorry for my english I am a french canadian

I think you got a bad Alpine PDX5 amp. I have had mine for about a year and it has been a champ.

Mr.Dave 12-06-2012 09:47 PM

Its all in the amp. replace the amp, get the aftermarket polks or kickers, and youre set. The infinity component system in the JK uses 2 ohm speakers in the soundbar, and in front. replacing them with the kickers isnt going to give you better sound at all. Yeah you can believe that the polyfil will work, but its just the same.

JeeperJake 12-06-2012 09:58 PM

I've just recently suffered what sounds like a cone fracture in one of my sound bar OEM speakers.....which is downright annoying even though I don't listen much.

Gotta do something.

The old sub is worthless too.

phllyntv 12-07-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEITHC69 (Post 3075626)
I really do appreciate your information. What were the 2 parts that you ordered for though?


Once you remove the factory infiniti subwoofer the seat belt area and where the sub used to sit is open. The two pieces are plastic panels that make it look factory. Its basically how it would look if a wrangler didnt come with the infiniti subwoofer.

bigkevj 12-07-2012 10:33 AM

I still say dont worry about the speakers. Replace the head unit first then see if you want to replace the speakers. I replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood unit, and the sound is a lot better. I may replace speakers down the road, but it made a world of difference just getting a head unit with enough power to utilize the speakers appropriately.

Tribefan 12-07-2012 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkevj
I still say dont worry about the speakers. Replace the head unit first then see if you want to replace the speakers. I replaced the factory head unit with a Kenwood unit, and the sound is a lot better. I may replace speakers down the road, but it made a world of difference just getting a head unit with enough power to utilize the speakers appropriately.

I 100% agree. I just installed a Kenwood DDX-419 over the weekend and the difference in sound is huge. At least with the hard too on, there's no need for me to change out the speakers. Hopefully that'll still be my opinion once I take the top off in spring.

fishmd 12-07-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribefan

I 100% agree. I just installed a Kenwood DDX-419 over the weekend and the difference in sound is huge. At least with the hard too on, there's no need for me to change out the speakers. Hopefully that'll still be my opinion once I take the top off in spring.

It won't be. ;-)

Tribefan 12-07-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmd

It won't be. ;-)

Doh!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.