Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Tax charge haha wtf (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/tax-charge-haha-wtf-203852.html)

Raziel 12-06-2012 07:49 AM

Tax charge haha wtf

At the dealer to get my tail lamp replaced. Looking at the new srt challanger & see that there is a gas guzzler tax charge for a $1,000.00. Never seen that before. Unbelievable!

jkjeeper06 12-06-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel
At the dealer to get my tail lamp replaced. Looking at the new srt challanger & see that there is a gas guzzler tax charge for a $1,000.00. Never seen that before. Unbelievable!

I think our jeeps have that. I think most dodge and jeep vehicles have that fee too. Thank you EPA!

lolpetewtf 12-06-2012 08:13 AM

I never paid a guzzler tax

Mopar2Ya 12-06-2012 08:24 AM

The guzzler tax is mostly on cars, trucks & SUV's usually don't have it. Isn't it great being punished for your vehicle choice?

GeckoJK 12-06-2012 08:25 AM

The gas guzzler tax has been going on for years now. It only applies to cars over $30k with high hp fuel inefficient engines (mostly V8s). I think trucks and SUVs are exempted which is why this doesnt apply on the Wrangler. Another BS government sin tax to force us to all drive Chevy Volts instead.

kramer2k 12-06-2012 08:26 AM

Our Jeeps don't qualify for the Gas Guzzler Tax. That's been around for a while. I remember seeing it on a Dodge Viper for the first time.

Gas Guzzler Tax and Vehicles | Fuel Economy | US EPA

That tax isn't applied to SUVs and trucks.

Vette man 12-06-2012 08:26 AM

That guzzler tax is for government fill ups. Its a pre paid thing just go to the local government station. Another thing started in California

Ltblue 12-06-2012 08:27 AM

Dafaq does that mean guzzler tax? So do Prius get hugger tax?

lolpetewtf 12-06-2012 08:32 AM

And they say America is a free country. F-ing joke.

Mopar2Ya 12-06-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltblue (Post 3073119)
So do Prius get hugger tax?

Yes, by a stinky hippie. :flowers:

rfortune 12-06-2012 08:38 AM

Well, I just deleted mine since 10 others jumped in while I was typing

watson 12-06-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf

No one is forcing you to buy that car

3JKs1H1 12-06-2012 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on a HMMWV

kappaknight 12-06-2012 08:44 AM

IIRC, the guzzler tax for the Viper was around $4500. Prius or hybrids gets a credit for being green. I think it's whatever is trendy...

lolpetewtf 12-06-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watson (Post 3073169)

Uh, I'm not just talking about the car dur

Jeeperz Creeperz 12-06-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel (Post 3073005)

-------

Yep that is correct. Gotta like that we just re-elected politicians that love those kind of taxes and will institute even more.

A bigger joke is that the government wants to force better gas mileage vehicles into the "free" market via tax penalties (low mpg vehicles) or tax breaks (high mpg). Then when people do buy them and the average mpg goes up and fuel consumption goes down, the government worries about loss of taxes from fuel sales. To replace those lost fuel taxes, they come up with the idea to put GPS systems on high mpg cars so they can tax them for miles driven.

Jeeperz Creeperz 12-06-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

BUT the government IS dicatating behaviour via the tax system. So they are trying to force you to not purchase that car.

DuneYeti 12-06-2012 09:19 AM

Kind of a luxury tax really, paid $2,000 tax on my 04 GTO, they figure if you can afford the Hp you won't care about the tax and there right. Imagine a tax on A Corolla, sales would be nonexistent in no time. But Tax a Corvette and it's no big deal.

Jackster3 12-06-2012 09:21 AM

A joke for more money

lokka 12-06-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 3073139)

I hear Somalia has VERY limited government and is pretty much as free as it gets. Would you rather be there?

lolpetewtf 12-06-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokka (Post 3073307)
I hear Somalia has VERY limited government and is pretty much as free as it gets. Would you rather be there?

Absurd comparison.

MTH 12-06-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

That is incredibly poor logic.

You can certainly contend that taxes or fees on choices the government deems "poor" are a good idea for whatever social policy positions you support, but suggesting that they don't impact freedom is silly.

Let's say a bill was signed into law tomorrow that added a 50% tax on or a substantial fee to (a) everything you buy in the grocery store that's not on the latest food pyramid to encourage "better" eating, (b) Christimas trees or Menorahs to encourage more multi-culturalism, (c) cable stations that carried anything other than approved government programs to encourage "better" television choices, (d) single family homes because duplexes and apartments are more energy efficient, (e) clothing or retail goods produced by companies that don't employ a certain number of minority or union workers, and (f) private school tuition to encourage more learning in government sponsored institutions.

If that became the law tomorrow, would you really feel that certain aspects of your freedom to make your own choices in regard to groceries, holiday decorations, television programs, home choice, clothing, and schooling for your children were not being infringed?

Would your explanation--that "no one is forcing you" to buy those things--really make you feel better? After all, you could avoid ever paying any of those taxes and fees by just buying or consuming government approved groceries, multi-cultural holiday decorations, television programs, multi-family homes, clothing, and schools.

I'd wager you would not be pleased. Just because a freedom hasn't been removed doesn't mean it hasn't been infringed.

The effect of the regulation in those examples is that the government is confiscating your income to penalize you for making an otherwise lawful choice. How can requiring you to pay a penalty when you choose lawful Option A over lawful Option B possibly NOT impact your freedom? :confused:

From what I've read here, that's exactly what the "gas guzzler" fee does. You can argue that you think it's a good idea for whatever position you have on "carbon footprints" or whatever, but you can't say it doesn't affect freedom. It plainly does.

CampThree1982 12-06-2012 09:36 AM

I think this tax and many other ones coming are what is referred to as "Forward". :doh:

kik 12-06-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 3073139)

The last time I checked it isn't free. There are plenty of plots in Arlington to prove it. :rolleyes:

Plasticpirogue 12-06-2012 09:50 AM

Big deal; they have had "displacement" taxes in most of Europe and the middle east for decades. Wasn't even tied to MPG or performance...if it was over a certain displacement, it was taxed. How stupid is that?

scipio337 12-06-2012 09:58 AM

Relax, it's being used to pay down the federal defecit.

:rofl:

mathew85 12-06-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 3073330)
From what I've read here, that's exactly what the "gas guzzler" fee does. You can argue that you think it's a good idea for whatever position you have on "carbon footprints" or whatever, but you can't say it doesn't affect freedom. It plainly does.

People these days are rather quick to point fingers and say, "I don't like what that guy is doing, that should be illegal." Wish they would better teach the founding principles of this nation in the schools.. But oh well, public schools right?

Worse is those people that think the law is a machine to punish and remove evil from society. That doesn't work. The purpose of the law really is to be a guiding principle to make society function better. And punishment oriented regulations like the "guzzler tax" only makes people rebel.

Scenario 1:
Guy blows through the radar. Cop pulls him over. Guy says, I'm sorry I didn't realize the speed limit had dropped. Cop slaps a hefty ticket on him..

Scenario 2:
Guy blows through the radar. Cop pulls him over. Guy says, I'm sorry I didn't realize the speed limit had dropped. Cop says, ok, please be careful now on; I'm not giving you a ticket this time, but a warning rather, in the hope that your own moral compass will guide you to slow down where necessary.

Which would you all think is better law and order?
Once you answer that question, please also say if you live in New York/PPRCalifornia or in some middle of nowhere fly over country.

mathew85 12-06-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasticpirogue (Post 3073428)
Big deal; they have had "displacement" taxes in most of Europe and the middle east for decades. Wasn't even tied to MPG or performance...if it was over a certain displacement, it was taxed. How stupid is that?

Back home, we had a guiding principle.. "Because someone else is sinful doesn't give you the right to be sinful"
feel free to replace "sinful" with
"stupid"
"disrespectful"
"argumentative"
or whatever else appropriate analogues.

And especially Europe! They're stupid to the core!

Jeeperz Creeperz 12-06-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 3073329)
Absurd comparison.

They always think that if you are against over regulation and government intrusion on choice you are for no law at all.

The reverse would be a government that decides everything for you, oh wait we are heading that way or should I say moving "forward" to that.

lolpetewtf 12-06-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 3073693)
They always think that if you are against over regulation and government intrusion on choice you are for no law at all.

The reverse would be a government that decides everything for you, oh wait we are heading that way or should I say moving "forward" to that.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: