Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Re-gearing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/re-gearing-204859.html)

TexasToast 12-11-2012 02:27 PM

Re-gearing
 
Have O-12 Rubi, live in Germany and wondering where I find out how re-gear myself for 35's one day; any advice?

MTH 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

My understanding is that regearing is not a do-it-yourself job unless you've done it before and have sophisticated equipment and tools. I would expect you'd pay more for the tools to do it right than you would just to get the gears installed professionally in the first place.

And in any event, at least in the US all 2012 Rubicons will have either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, paired with the 3.6 liter gasoline engine. They do not need to be regeared to run 35s.

derf 12-11-2012 04:14 PM

I agree that a Rubicon that has 4.10 gears doesn't absolutely need new gears to run 35" tires. 3.73 gears are really marginal but you can run them.

I also agree that you really want to be an experienced mechanic with access to specialty tools if you want to change the gears yourself. I have a garage full of tools and can rebuild almost anything on my Jeep (including tearing down and rebuilding the engine) but I still take it to the professionals to do gear swaps.

mflint1513 12-11-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH
And in any event, at least in the US all 2012 Rubicons will have either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, paired with the 3.6 liter gasoline engine. They do not need to be regeared to run 35s.

I thought all Rubicons came stock in 4.10 only?

mflint1513 12-11-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mflint1513

I thought all Rubicons came stock in 4.10 only?

Oh, and 4.56s will turn the drivetrain back to stock with 35" tires. 3.73s are what I'm running now but it's not good with any kind of headwind. I'm in fifth and even fourth sometimes uphill here in SoCal.

MTH 12-11-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mflint1513

I thought all Rubicons came stock in 4.10 only?

The OP has a 2012. The autos come stock with 3.73. As of 2012, 4.10 is now an "option."

TexasToast 12-12-2012 01:36 PM

Yeah, so if I can go with a 4.56, am I going to need anything different for the lockers or am I going to run the stock lockers?

Mounah 12-12-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasToast (Post 3096238)
Yeah, so if I can go with a 4.56, am I going to need anything different for the lockers or am I going to run the stock lockers?

no you don't, but if you insist on regearing skip the 4.56 and go 4.88 to feel some pleasure, i did it on my 2012 JKU with 35s... awesome. Oh yeah, and don't forget your Procal

TexasToast 12-12-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf
I agree that a Rubicon that has 4.10 gears doesn't absolutely need new gears to run 35" tires. 3.73 gears are really marginal but you can run them.

I also agree that you really want to be an experienced mechanic with access to specialty tools if you want to change the gears yourself. I have a garage full of tools and can rebuild almost anything on my Jeep (including tearing down and rebuilding the engine) but I still take it to the professionals to do gear swaps.

Yes, unfortunately I do have 3.73 but I do have access to the tools and the mechanics to do the swap for free and teach me along the way. Some jobs pay I guess.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.