Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   carry a fire extinguisher... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/carry-a-fire-extinguisher-205375.html)

sorber82 12-14-2012 08:59 AM

carry a fire extinguisher...

my tj caught the brush underneath on fire. it wasn't even sitting there 5-10 minutes. sad day indeed. luckily i had insurance and gap. so i took this opportunity to upgrade.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...80856384_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99302050_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...61375566_n.jpg

and my upgrade

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...17193795_n.jpg

hmiller 12-14-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorber82
my tj caught the brush underneath on fire. it wasn't even sitting there 5-10 minutes. sad day indeed. luckily i had insurance and gap. so i took this opportunity to upgrade.

and my upgrade

Sorry about that man but I'm glad it worked out for you and nobody was hurt

harleydragon 12-14-2012 09:28 AM

many farmers in my area have lost trucks because of catalytic converters in tall grass.my son lost a toyota 4x4 that way

Dew 12-14-2012 09:34 AM

I once saw something like this on an episode of The Sopranos. Boy was Tony pissed at Anthony and I learned never to park over brush!

Glad your insurance took care of ya!

sorber82 12-14-2012 01:56 PM

yeah my buddy and i were fine. the back glass exploded when i tried to raise it, so just a few cuts. we had to grab the guns out of the back seat before it got too wild. the firemen said that happens to a lot of farmers around my area too.

Jerry Bransford 12-14-2012 02:45 PM

Wow that's really sad, I hated to see that your Jeep burned up.

When you buy a fire extinguisher to carry, be sure to get a 5 lb. size which will actually be useful in such conditions. The smaller 1-2 lb. models are more for show in ricers and other purely street vehicles that never get out into the boondocks like our Jeeps do.

mwashburn 12-14-2012 02:52 PM

I always carry a 5lb fire extingwisher mounted right between the drivers door and seat. Can NEVER be too prepared!!

doclouie 12-14-2012 03:04 PM

Yes bigger is always better, but smaller is better than none.

Dew 12-14-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 3104085)

I doubt those small extinguishers would put out an undercarriage fire. I once ran up to a pickup with its seat on fire(driver might have left his lit cigarette?) with a 5lbs extinguisher. It would put the fire out, but the sucker kept re-igniting until the extinguisher was almost out of Co2!

Atthehop 12-14-2012 03:11 PM

I saw this back when they first came out in the 70's when catalytic converters just started to arrive in cars and my truck salesman ran home for lunch and parked his demo on top of his leaves next to his garage.

I think the heat shields they use on today's vehicles prevent a lot of these fires.

Wesboy 12-14-2012 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sad to see your old ride burned like that, but good to see you have another Jeep.
I lost an old 4x4 (RHD 1975 FJ40) in a fire last month (petrol fire).
Yeah, I know it's not a Jeep but I've had it for 12 years - it was my first 4wd and it was so much fun to drive - every drive was an adventure.
Emptied 3 x extinguishers into it which did absolutely nothing.
The guys from the Fire Department said because it was a petrol fire, I didn't have a chance of putting it out.
They used 1500 gallons of water to put it out.
I still carry 2x extinguishers in the Jeep but after this experience, wouldn't hold much hope in a petrol fire.

Jerry Bransford 12-14-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 3104085)

That's an understandable point of view but to me, that's not necessarily so since carrying a too-small extinguisher can give some people a false sense of security.

Shark_13 12-14-2012 08:13 PM

Woah, that stinks. Glad you are OK though! At least you got a new toy :)

doclouie 12-14-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dew (Post 3104095)
I doubt those small extinguishers would put out an undercarriage fire. I once ran up to a pickup with its seat on fire(driver might have left his lit cigarette?) with a 5lbs extinguisher. It would put the fire out, but the sucker kept re-igniting until the extinguisher was almost out of Co2!

You are most likely correct, but you may be wrong. If my Jeep is on fire would I rather take a chance of putting it out with a small extinguisher rather than have no chance at all. If your Jeep was on fire and someone handed you a small extinguisher would you say "Thanks, but no thanks"?:rofl:

dabolt55 12-14-2012 08:27 PM

x2 on ins. stepping up and doing what there supposed to do..Glad all is good...:thumb:

BLK00TJ 12-14-2012 09:46 PM

Sorry to see a Jeep go out like that. I always carry both a small and a large 5lb with me. The small one gets mounted between the driver's seat and door within easy reach and the 5lb is mounted to the driver's side b-pillar.

Jacqui 12-15-2012 03:21 AM

Yikes. Smart thinking on getting those guns and ammo out! Glad no one was seriously injured, but I'm definitely sad to see such a thing happen to a beloved TJ. Way to go on the upgrade! Very nice looking ride.

coolbreeze 12-15-2012 10:56 AM

Sorry about the Jeep.
Fire is always something to think and plan for. Parking on combustibles has been a problem since cats became standard, which is quite awhile now.

Jerry Bransford 12-15-2012 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3105273)
Sorry to see a Jeep go out like that. I always carry both a small and a large 5lb with me. The small one gets mounted between the driver's seat and door within easy reach and the 5lb is mounted to the driver's side b-pillar.

That location for the 5 lb. sounds dangerous, you don't want a 5 lb. extinguisher flying around at head-height in an accident.

This is where I installed my 5 lb. in two different TJs... it's down low, easily accessible even if my TJ was upside-down, and won't crack my skull in an accident. It also clears the seat so the seat can slide over the top of it when needed, and neither do my feet ever even come close to it.

wolfen 12-15-2012 12:01 PM

I've been driving for 40 years and I have ALWAYS had a fire extinguisher in whatever I drive road cars, pickups, off road, work trucks doesn't matter, I won;t get in a vehicle without one especially now days the way the Chinese make Chevy's, My work truck almost burnt to the ground cause of a bad fuel system

Steve305 12-15-2012 12:09 PM

All of these things are great to keep in mind. But take my advice for this: NO JEEP is worth your LIFE. If it looks like it's too bad to put out or it's anywhere near fuel ..... GET AWAY. A close friend tried to put out a truck fire and was very badly burned when "something" under the hood (we don't know what) burst and threw bits of flame all over him.

BE CAREFUL GUYS. :thumb:

wolfen 12-15-2012 04:37 PM

I gotta agree with that statement if mine ever catches fire. Ill use ghetto eoxtinguisher ONLY if its safe to do so

BLK00TJ 12-15-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3106665)
That location for the 5 lb. sounds dangerous, you don't want a 5 lb. extinguisher flying around at head-height in an accident.

This is where I installed my 5 lb. in two different TJs... it's down low, easily accessible even if my TJ was upside-down, and won't crack my skull in an accident. It also clears the seat so the seat can slide over the top of it when needed, and neither do my feet ever even come close to it.

I couldn't figure out how to get mine where yours is and not take up a lot of foot room. It may be because my seat is forward more from being short. I ordered a bolt on carrier with pin release from SFR and will likely have a buddy weld it as well. I didn't see a lot of options for brackets for the 5lb bottles. I haven't put it in yet and I only keep the extinguisher in when offroad. I know the delinquents in my neighborhood would spray it if it was visible. Up until I got it, it was in a milk crate in back.
http://www.stinkyfab.com/media/catal...2833-s_1_1.jpg

Jerry Bransford 12-15-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3107623)
I couldn't figure out how to get mine where yours is and not take up a lot of foot room. It may be because my seat is forward more from being short.

The extinguisher is bolted to the seat mounting base that is bolted to the floor, so it doesn't move at all when the seat is moved forward or back. In the position shown, it takes zero foot room, your feet would never come close to touching it. I've had it installed there in two Jeeps and it's completely out of the way, you'd quickly find your feet never touch it.

tallzdatank 12-15-2012 06:50 PM

ive got a baby one in the bottle Jack mount under the seat and the one I put in under the hood, my friend ( whom I never wheel without) has a 5lb one in his truck. these are required for us to carry.

Jerry Bransford 12-15-2012 06:55 PM

If that fire extinguisher you mounted in the engine compartment isn't an automatic Halon system, I'd rethink that location.

tallzdatank 12-15-2012 06:58 PM

I thought about the heat, and wrapped it in kowool and Kevlar.

Jerry Bransford 12-15-2012 07:04 PM

Don't think for an instant that kowool and Kevlar insulation is going to prevent that fire extinguisher mounted in your engine compartment from becoming too hot to handle, or maybe even blowing its pressure disk. If you place something in an oven, it is eventually going to get as hot as the oven... whether it is wrapped in insulation or not.

Dragonii 12-15-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3107787)
Don't think for an instant that kowool and Kevlar insulation is going to prevent that fire extinguisher mounted in your engine compartment from becoming too hot to handle, or maybe even blowing its pressure disk. If you place something in an oven, it is eventually going to get as hot as the oven... whether it is wrapped in insulation or not.

Not to mention that it will be hard to get to if the fire is under the hood. You would usually want the extinguisher in hand before opening the hood.

wolfen 12-19-2012 04:26 PM

Theres no way I would put ANYTHING under the hood that could heat up and explode