Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   hand throttle (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/hand-throttle-205996.html)

castman2 12-17-2012 06:50 PM

hand throttle

I've seen old listings on here on hand throttle, but nothing recent. Do any of you use one? If so what do you think of it? And what brand or did you use a bike gear shift?

Cons_Table 12-17-2012 07:00 PM

It comes in handy every once and a while...but I just used the bike gear shifter :thumb:

brokenujoint 12-17-2012 08:10 PM

agreed on the bicycle shifter. Used it for YEARS & it helps a lot on those rutted fire roads mostly. A bit scary on hill climbs as you're putting one more factor in the equation for a problem.

Just go to a bike shop & buy a generic 10 spd derailer cable & shifter. get some pvc & cut it down or even use a bunch of electrical tape around your trans shifter & clamp the shifter to the shifter. Route the cable inside your shifter boot & under your console & through the fire wall, along your valve cover, drill a hole into the rail adjacent to the throttle linkage. Put the brake cable through it & thread your brake cable adjustor on the linkage. wrap the cable around the TB & use a swag or some type of crimp to secure the cable. Its that easy. It sounds harder than it is. Google it & you'll see simple pictures. DONT waste your $ on the tera one.. what a joke. You can DIY for about 5-7 bucks.

WOKNROX 12-17-2012 09:02 PM

Thanks for the ideas ...I've gathered all my parts for the York OBA install (hopefully this Friday) and was want to incorporate a hand throttle to raise the RPM when airing up tires or using air tools....

cashcow1608 12-17-2012 09:12 PM

I use my hand throttle alot. I use it to set the engine rpm,s for airing up or winching. It also comes in handy if you have to stop on a steep hill and wanna start without rolling backwards. Mine is a DIY bike shifter also.

Almighty90 12-17-2012 10:30 PM

Love my hand throttle, used it more then once each time I've gone wheeling. I went with the teraflex one and have no complaints.

Baja1ab 12-17-2012 10:30 PM

I have the bike shifter style one as mentioned above and use it often. Then again I don't use it unless I'm on something pretty sketchy, but for me that's seems like often lately. :D

It is a life saver for situations where you absolutely cannot afford to lose your footing by switching feet between brake/gas while operating the clutch. I've read a hundred of those auto vs. manual tranny threads and I have to admit when I first wheeled my Jeep I was siding with the auto lovers. I fast had to become a hand throttle expert to keep up with some of the places my buddies go but I quickly became a master at working the hand throttle off/on clutch/gas/brake that now its the only way I'd ever go.

It's not rocket science but master it and you'll love it. Good luck! :thumb:

InvertChaos 12-17-2012 10:34 PM

Just installed the teraflex bike shifter one myself. Haven't gotten to test it out yet though. I'm planning on using it to keep my foot from bouncing off the throttle.

brokenujoint 12-17-2012 11:07 PM

Yeh I use it for my York 210 OBA set up as well. Be careful though as that york WILL get hot if you think you can just blast it so u can air up faster. If you plan on going that route use synthetic for the york. Only a few ounces and run some copper line out of it in a spiral fashion to help as a heat sink otherwise you'll blow/melt some hose doing it. Ask me how i know. Not good to blow a rubber line when you depend on your OBA for your ARB. The throttle is as mentioned, great for when u need to get up something and your yo yo ing with your clutch, brake, and gas peddle. It will take practice and be sure to not over rev while doing this or your clutch will go south real fast.

Six Gun Matt 12-18-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 3115653)
Thanks for the ideas ...I've gathered all my parts for the York OBA install (hopefully this Friday) and was want to incorporate a hand throttle to raise the RPM when airing up tires or using air tools....

I thought about doing this solely because I have the York OBA, but that pump fills up the tank and tires so fast already, it really doesn't need to idle any faster.

I do want to do this to help on the rocks with my manual trans, a cheap project that shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

Jerry Bransford 12-18-2012 03:42 PM

I loved my hand throttle on my previous TJ, one of these days I'll install another into my current TJ. They can really help on a really bumpy trail when it's hard to keep your foot steady on the gas pedal.

WOKNROX 12-18-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 3117792)
I thought about doing this solely because I have the York OBA, but that pump fills up the tank and tires so fast already, it really doesn't need to idle any faster.

I do want to do this to help on the rocks with my manual trans, a cheap project that shouldn't take more than an hour to do.

Ur setup was what got me thinkin about the York...I already have an electric OBA setup with a 3 gallon tank so I really just need to change the pump....so I picked up the bracket & pulley kit and I already have a good 210 so I'm all set...glad to hear it fills up fast at idle ....:cool:

suicideking 12-18-2012 04:48 PM

I used to date a girl with GREAT hand throttle. :D

WOKNROX 12-18-2012 05:06 PM

:rofl:
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 3118749)

:rofl:

AJ_IOOF 12-18-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 3118749)

X2 LMAO :rofl:

castman2 12-19-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks all, you confirmed my thoughts. It is the next project.

WOKNROX 12-27-2012 10:13 PM

I went to the boneyard today and pulled a set of beautiful Dana 60s ....while I was there I pulled 3 York 210 in really nice working condition ...snatch them up for $75...
Ho Ho Ho!

Baja1ab 12-28-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 3150552)
I went to the boneyard today and pulled a set of beautiful Dana 60s ....while I was there I pulled 3 York 210 in really nice working condition ...snatch them up for $75...
Ho Ho Ho!

Wanna sell me those 60s for $75 ea? :D:whistling::rofl:

suicideking 12-28-2012 01:08 AM

Just saw this old thread in an email from jeep forum. Not sure if the link will work, but here goes:

Hand throttle - JeepForum.com

WOKNROX 12-28-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja1ab (Post 3150947)
Wanna sell me those 60s for $75 ea? :D:whistling::rofl:

He he...
I picked up both Dana 60s for $300...score!
I can't wait to get them under my scout 800 and slap some 40s on them...

WOKNROX 01-03-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 3117792)

I finished the York 210 OBA upgrade and man does it pump some air!....I came full a 35 from 8 to 30lbs in under a minute!
The best part is i dont have that 40 amp draw from the electric pump anymore.....Sweet deal!