Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep Tool Chest? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-tool-chest-206221.html)

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-18-2012 08:42 PM

Jeep Tool Chest?
 
Hey Jeepers. I was wondering where I could put a tool chest like the ones in the back of trucks. I have a 2 door wrangler with a soft top so there is not a lot of security. I dont need it to me huge just big enough to keep some tools and a rifle. I would like to still have my bucket seats in. Any ideas?

_KONG_ 12-18-2012 08:44 PM

How about behind your front seats?

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-18-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 3119674)
How about behind your front seats?

I dont know if there is enough room. And I probably couldn't lean my seat back. Do you know how you can weld it to the Jeep?

_KONG_ 12-18-2012 09:10 PM

Or you could put a box that fits

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-18-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 3119779)
Or you could put a box that fits

True. Do you have one?

Bluechip 12-18-2012 09:18 PM

Not sure who makes it but one of the majors makes a lockable tray that takes up the floor where the bench seat is. I did a quick search and couldn't find it, but remember seeing it in quadratek or 4x4 parts or one of those mags

Chris

_KONG_ 12-18-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3119791)
True. Do you have one?

Nope. I have an extendatrunk sitting in the garage if i want to use it. There are many storage options out there. I carry a couple of tool boxes and a cooler seperately. I might pick up a couple rubbermaid bins to keep things organized. I also have a JP Cooler i carry if the back seat is in

amiller 12-18-2012 09:26 PM

It makes no difference where you put your tool box. If you needed to use one of your tools, you would likely start another thread wanting to know how to use them. My God man, show a little creativity and figure it the fawk out yourself.

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-18-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiller (Post 3119859)
It makes no difference where you put your tool box. If you needed to use one of your tools, you would likely start another thread wanting to know how to use them. My God man, show a little creativity and figure it the fawk out yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and to gain information while interacting with others who share a common interest?

FireMike 12-18-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3120014)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and to gain information while interacting with others who share a common interest?

Yes!!! this guy just has something stuck up where the sun don't shine. Just ignore this A-hole.

This one is pretty spendy but cool!!
Tuffy 046-01 - Tuffy Jumbo Security Storage Trunk for 76-06 Jeep® CJ & Wrangler YJ, TJ, Unlimited - Quadratec

Zed 12-18-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and to gain information while interacting with others who share a common interest?

Yeah don't feed the trolls. You posted a great question. The purpose of this Forum is to share ideas.

amiller 12-18-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 3120164)
Yeah don't feed the trolls. You posted a great question. The purpose of this Forum is to share ideas.

Where was the great question?

PDXJeeper 12-18-2012 11:42 PM

I put my stuff in bags. Access to the rear with a soft top sucks. When I need a tool or part I grab the appropriate bag. This avenue doesn't help with security, but I seldom leave my car unattended while loaded.

Rolly32 12-19-2012 12:00 AM

I have a craftsman 3 drawer type toolbox in my jeep. It's small enough to fit sockets, wrenches, hammers, pry bars, etc but it is really noisey when tools rattle around since I haven't put padding in the box yet.

Neil F. 12-19-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3119671)
. I would like to still have my bucket seats in. Any ideas?

Well your "bucket seats" are your front seats so I would assume those are staying in.

You are not totally clear on where you are looking to put this.

Are you removing the rear seat or is it staying in?

If the the rear seat is comming out, is it permanently?

DarthLEGO 12-19-2012 08:03 AM

Along this thread, I am looking at just putting a .50 Caliber "Fat Boy" ammo can in the back. I have an LJ, so I have a little more room to play

Anyone have a any mounting suggestions? Or just bolt it directly to the body? (After I cover it bedliner)

lys327 12-19-2012 08:42 AM

i currently have 30 cal ammo cans on the front fenders for storage and over the xmas break i am going to mount an ammo can to the tailgate. its actually simple. step one is to drill the holes in the appropriate locations. step two is too use blind rivets and intall the blind rivets. last i will drill corresponding holes in the ammo can and then use 5/16's bolts to mount to tailgate.

lys327 12-19-2012 08:43 AM

and then i will have extra storage in the jeep.

DarthLEGO 12-19-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327 (Post 3121237)
i currently have 30 cal ammo cans on the front fenders for storage and over the xmas break i am going to mount an ammo can to the tailgate. its actually simple. step one is to drill the holes in the appropriate locations. step two is too use blind rivets and intall the blind rivets. last i will drill corresponding holes in the ammo can and then use 5/16's bolts to mount to tailgate.

Thanks and excellent idea about mounting to the tailgate! I was just going to mount to the interior wall somewhere.

Moabrubi 12-19-2012 01:18 PM

The only problem with mounting stuff to the tailgate is when your Jeep is full of stuff for wheeling, you can't close the door and you have to try move everything forward.

Don't ask me how I know.

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-19-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3120980)
Well your "bucket seats" are your front seats so I would assume those are staying in.

You are not totally clear on where you are looking to put this.

Are you removing the rear seat or is it staying in?

If the the rear seat is comming out, is it permanently?

Sorry I meant my rear seats.

FireMike 12-19-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3123400)
Sorry I meant my rear seats.

On that note.

Tuffy Under Seat Security Drawer in Black for 03-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

scott howard 12-19-2012 07:39 PM

go to your local welding shop and ask them to fabricate a custom box for you out of your choice of metals ...aluminum , stainless, plate steel..........
and that way it will fit just like you want and you will also be supporting your local people and trust me getting to know a fab shop can come in handy.

Ebxgsxr 12-19-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3123554)


that's what i did. tuffy everything in my jeep b/c i wanted everything to work off one key. rear underseat drawer, drawer under driver's seat, tuffy glove box & tuffy center console. :punk:

Neil F. 12-20-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3123554)

The above is only as wide as the seat. Tuffy also has a full length (entire rear) drawer. With the drawer, don't expect for adults to sit in the rear. There is not enough headroom

lys327 12-20-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3122202)
The only problem with mounting stuff to the tailgate is when your Jeep is full of stuff for wheeling, you can't close the door and you have to try move everything forward.

Don't ask me how I know.

thats why i am using a 40mm ammo can, i can store my off road gear in there. will help eliminate clutter from off road gear.

Moabrubi 12-20-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327

thats why i am using a 40mm ammo can, i can store my off road gear in there. will help eliminate clutter from off road gear.

No your missing the point. You can actually fit more when theres nothing on the tailgate.

I had bags attached to the tailgate and took them off because i can fit more stuff that way.

jburl 12-20-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327 (Post 3125335)
thats why i am using a 40mm ammo can, i can store my off road gear in there. will help eliminate clutter from off road gear.

That's a good idea, I've also seen some bags that mount between the roll-bars that would be a good option as well...

lys327 12-20-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jburl (Post 3125624)
That's a good idea, I've also seen some bags that mount between the roll-bars that would be a good option as well...

i allready have multiple items attached to the roll bars. i have 16 yrs in the army so far and have collected items of use. the back left roll bar has 3 m16 ammo pouches attached to it. the other side has two butt packs attached to it.

IWANNAOFFROAD 12-20-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327 (Post 3125817)
i allready have multiple items attached to the roll bars. i have 16 yrs in the army so far and have collected items of use. the back left roll bar has 3 m16 ammo pouches attached to it. the other side has two butt packs attached to it.

Can I see pics, thank you for your service by the way. I don't think veterans hear it enough.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.