Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   completely useless facts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/completely-useless-facts-206507.html)

_3m 12-20-2012 05:37 PM

completely useless facts
 
here's a fun game, all you have to do is list a fact that totally useless.

example:

The Palace of the Parliament in Bucharest Romania is, according to the World Records Academy, is the world's largest civilian building, most expensive administrative building, and heaviest building.

Havok 12-20-2012 05:46 PM

funny fact: I've been in that building

Useless fact:

When Wolverine was first thought of he wasn't a mutant in the general since of the word. his original origin was to be a victim of the High Evolutionary as a mutated wolverine.

TheBigMan 12-20-2012 05:53 PM

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and nobody knows why.

ob269 12-20-2012 06:25 PM

The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last 4 letters are removed

Megafriday 12-20-2012 07:54 PM

The anal glands of the Eurasian beaver are larger and thin-walled with a large internal volume compared to that of the North American breed.

ed98208 12-20-2012 08:10 PM

According to Wikipedia, the largest building in the world, by usable space and by footprint, is the Boeing factory in my hometown.

Useless Trivia: When adjusted for inflation, Bill Gates is only the 4th richest American of all time. The nineteenth century industrialists Rockefeller, Carnegie and Vanderbilt were far more wealthy; Rockefeller had almost 3 times Bill Gates' net worth.

amonkeyinshed 12-20-2012 08:12 PM

The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and nobody knows why.

Pretty sure that's not true

Useless fact: Darth Vader never said "Luke, I am your father."
He actually said "No, I am your father."

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amonkeyinshed
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

Good thing this was posted already ha

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 08:24 PM

Couple ones I know:


You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian
Earth is only planet in our solar system not named after a god
Coca-Cola is green without the coloring
And babies aren't dishwasher proof (Tosh reference)

amonkeyinshed 12-20-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

Good thing this was posted already ha

Woops...I don't know how I didn't see that. I even made sure I read all of them twice to make sure no one had posted it!

Beastmaster 12-20-2012 08:34 PM

The army tank got it's name because during WWI, it's invention was a secret. To conceal them in transit, they were shipped to Europe in large wooden crates with the word "Tank" painted on the side.

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amonkeyinshed

Woops...I don't know how I didn't see that. I even made sure I read all of them twice to make sure no one had posted it!

Ha it happens. That one is random anyway bc several can remove the all letters but the first and it sounds the same, just aren't 5 letter words.
Bee and B
Kay and K
For example

BlueRidgeYJ 12-20-2012 08:44 PM

Peyton Randolph - who was the Kings selected Attorney General for the Colonies, a scholar at William & Mary where he taught a young Patrick Henry years before being made a fool by said Henry on the VA house floor over the Stamp Act, who had also been the Colony of VAs AttGnrl, a cmmdr under William Byrds Militia, served the VA House of Burgesses and was its Speaker in 1769 at the time of its dissolvement by the Governer - was actually the 1st American President when elected head of the Continental Congress of 1774, our first American choosen leader on a National level. He served as President from Sep. 5, 1774 to Oct. 22, 1774, when he resigned to atend the VA House of Burgesses. He was again elected and served from May 10, 1775 to May 24, 1775. After serving, he was to be hung by the British (as were all the rebels), and when returning to Williamsburg was offered protection by the volunteer militia company, with the quote "May heaven grant you long to live*the father of your country*–*and the friend to freedom and humanity!"

Not enough useless? His son was aide-de-camp to the Marquis de Lafayette (and a Major himself), his 1st cousin was Thos Jefferson, he married Benjamin Harrisons (signed the Dec of Ind) sister, and his 1st cousin once removed was the mother of Harry "Lighthorse" Lee, father to Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

And SCJ John Marshalls cousin.

He never lived to see the Independence he led others to seek, passing in 1775. Though originally buried at Christs Church in Philladelphia he is now intered beneath the Chapel at William & Mary, and his house still stands, just as it did in 1774, in Williamsburg VA and may be visited with required passes.

Whew. I done wore myself out. And believe it or not, more can be read about our first president here http://www.history.org/almanack/peop...s/biorapey.cfm (maybe just a link for mobiles???)

And orange doesn't rhyme with anything, yet Eminem can make it. :rofl:

_3m 12-20-2012 09:04 PM

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from and old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _3m
The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from and old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

Not true either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb

_3m 12-20-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 3127808)

wikipedia: The exact origin of the phrase is uncertain

so no one can say for sure if its true or not and Wikipedia is hardly a source for accurate facts.

Beastmaster 12-20-2012 09:38 PM

The phrase telling people to mind their manors "Mind you Ps and Qs" one sourse says it came from bartenders reminding watch their alcohol consumption served in Pints and Quarts.

BlueRidgeYJ 12-20-2012 09:41 PM

What? Any expert on anything fills in wiki, it's like an expert in your pocket :rofl: :thumb:

64% of statistics are made up.

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _3m

wikipedia: The exact origin of the phrase is uncertain

so no one can say for sure if its true or not and Wikipedia is hardly a source for accurate facts.

1) no need to get defensive 2) wiki is way more accurate that given credit. Especially when it links references 3) read entire page and your post is at worst wrong and at best a misconstrued based on original inaccuracies

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:49 PM

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rul1.htm

There, some non-Wikipedia sources. Based on by most accounts a satirical cartoon. Hence, not a fact.

Mody n Domy 12-20-2012 09:49 PM

And if its on the internet it has to be true!!!!

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:51 PM

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rul1.htm

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rule-of-thumb.html

Some non-Wiki sources. Most agree based of a satirical cartoon, so not a fact.

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ
What? Any expert on anything fills in wiki, it's like an expert in your pocket :rofl: :thumb:

64% of statistics are made up.

It helps when they cite sources...

BlueRidgeYJ 12-20-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mody n Domy
And if its on the internet it has to be true!!!!

Anybody lookin for a date with a French Model??? Lmao.

BlueRidgeYJ 12-20-2012 09:54 PM

Yes, yes, wiki can be a great resource to find other resources, similar to what us old timers used card catalogs for in buildings full of paper books. Directly quoting it can be dangerous.

On with the funny, eh?

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mody n Domy
And if its on the internet it has to be true!!!!

Useless fact: inaccuracies existed before the Internet. But Internet makes them easier to review and fix.

_3m 12-20-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 3127863)
1) no need to get defensive 2) wiki is way more accurate that given credit. Especially when it links references 3) read entire page and your post is at worst wrong and at best a misconstrued based on original inaccuracies

not getting defensive at all, clearly you've taken my response the wrong way. perhaps everyone should run their useless facts by you before posting them would have been a defensive statement. i just stated that wikipedia was hardly a source that could be trusted on all things. If you chose to do so then that's your choice. furthermore, unless you have actually checked the references someone has simply listed on the page you can basically say a guy once told me. ANYHOW this was supposed to be for fun only. enjoy :)

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ
Yes, yes, wiki can be a great resource to find other resources, similar to what us old timers used card catalogs for in buildings full of paper books. Directly quoting it can be dangerous.

On with the funny, eh?

Useless fact: a whales penis is called a dork

fan of fanboys 12-20-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _3m

not getting defensive at all, clearly you've taken my response the wrong way. perhaps everyone should run their useless facts by you before posting them would have been a defensive statement. i just stated that wikipedia was hardly a source that could be trusted on all things. If you chose to do so then that's your choice. furthermore, unless you have actually checked the references someone has simply listed on the page you can basically say a guy once told me. ANYHOW this was supposed to be for fun only. enjoy :)

I listed the references. And it helps if the facts are factual.

But agreed it should be fun


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.