Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Drop pitman arm? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/drop-pitman-arm-206615.html)

reissigree 12-21-2012 01:50 PM

Drop pitman arm?
 
Can anyone recommend a drop pitman arm for my 97 tj? I've got a 4 inch suspension + 2 inch spacers in the front. So I guess 6 inches total? Anyway, I'm rubbing on my sway bar disconnect. Any particular size or brand you guys recommend?

New lift installed
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8...bb5251ba_b.jpg

reissigree 12-21-2012 02:17 PM

Also I have an adjustable track bar installed. What's this I hear about bump steer???

Big Cole 12-21-2012 02:39 PM

Very few, if any, TJs use DPAs. Post a quality picture of your steering set up so we can help diagnose the actual problem.

TJspeed 12-21-2012 02:50 PM

Why do you have 2" spacers up front? If the front springs are that worn out you should replace them.

Neil F. 12-21-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reissigree (Post 3130027)
Can anyone recommend a drop pitman arm for my 97 tj? I've got a 4 inch suspension + 2 inch spacers in the front. So I guess 6 inches total? Anyway, I'm rubbing on my sway bar disconnect. Any particular size or brand you guys recommend?

New lift installed
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8...bb5251ba_b.jpg


Do a search on drop pitman arm. It is a highly misused piece. There is some good information why it is not recommended. Asl not recommended are spacers combinded witha spring lift. Search on coil bind

Jerry Bransford 12-21-2012 03:17 PM

Very rarely should a dropped Pitman arm be installed onto a '97 or newer Wrangler. About the only time a DPA should be installed is when an aftermarket dropped mount has been installed for the driver's side of the track bar. The track bar and Pitman arm must match... both must be either not dropped or both must be dropped. Mixing dropped & undropped causes bump steer. Bump steer being when the steering is forced left/right as the front suspension moves up/down.

reissigree 12-21-2012 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys! The reason that the 2 inch spacers are there is because we had them when we installed the lift so we just put them in there.. What's the best way to fix my quick disconnect from rubbing on my suspension when I turn right? I'll post a pic..

Gary2 12-21-2012 04:16 PM

This is an option that seems to fit your needs.......... Rough Country 97 06 TJ Wrangler Track Bar Bracket Pitman Arm Hardware | eBay

Jerry Bransford 12-21-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary2 (Post 3130468)
This is an option that seems to fit your needs.......... Rough Country 97 06 TJ Wrangler Track Bar Bracket Pitman Arm Hardware | eBay

No, not a good thing to install. Rarely is dropping the upper track bar mount a good idea, and there is no benefit to dropping them both (track bar & Pitman arm) just for the sake of dropping them.

One of the Rubicon Express track bars I installed (RE1610) years ago came with a required dropped mounting bracket (RE1611) which required I also drop the Pitman arm. It wasn't long before I removed all of that.

Patrick H 12-21-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 3130189)
Why do you have 2" spacers up front? If the front springs are that worn out you should replace them.

Says the guy with worn out springs..:D

reissigree 12-21-2012 04:26 PM

That's what's rubbing. It happens when I turn too far right

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8...1b8e5e11_b.jpg
Untitled by reissigree, on Flickr

reissigree 12-21-2012 04:29 PM

Springs are four years old from a Fab tech lift and don't seem to be worn out.

Gary2 12-21-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3130496)
No, not a good thing to install. Rarely is dropping the upper track bar mount a good idea, and there is no benefit to dropping them both (track bar & Pitman arm) just for the sake of dropping them.

One of the Rubicon Express track bars I installed (RE1610) years ago came with a required dropped mounting bracket (RE1611) which required I also drop the Pitman arm. It wasn't long before I removed all of that.

Shame , Its been working fine for me .

TJspeed 12-21-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3130503)
Says the guy with worn out springs..:D

Only factory springs.

reissigree 12-21-2012 05:46 PM

So any ideas on what I can do to fix this..?

Jerry Bransford 12-21-2012 06:01 PM

It sounds like your front axle is no longer centered under the Jeep. With such a tall suspension lift, which pulls both axles off to opposite sides, have you re-centered your front axle with an aftermarket adjustable length track bar?

reissigree 12-21-2012 06:10 PM

Yes I have an adjustable track bar, but I haven't adjusted it. Have a guide to centering the axle?

Jerry Bransford 12-21-2012 06:19 PM

That is a very simple job. With the tires on the ground, unbolt the passenger side of the track bar and pull it free of its mount. Then stand on the front bumper & move up & down a tad to 'jounce' the front end just enough so the springs will recenter the tub over the top of the front axle. You can eyeball it afterward by looking to see how evenly the fenders cover the front tires. The springs will do a pretty good job of re-centering the tub over the axle when the track bar has been disconnected.

Then just adjust the track bar's length so it can be slipped into the mount & its mounting bolt pushed through its bushing. Its length is now set properly. :)

reissigree 12-21-2012 07:08 PM

Thanks so much! I'll do this first and let you know if they still rub. If they do, I'll probably have to take the spacers out..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.