Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Calico Dec 28-31 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/calico-dec-28-31-a-206649.html)

BillG.OTD 12-21-2012 05:46 PM

Calico Dec 28-31

Hey, We are spending the last weekend of the year at Calico. We plan to run several trails but dont yet have a schedule. We will be running the entire loop (maybe backwards and forwards) as well as exploring some of the intermediate stuff that might work for the March meet & Greet! We have sights in the camping area that is off to the right. It looks like a busy weekend down there, but they still have plenty of partial hook up and tents sites (all full hookups are taken) So far its Dan & I along with our wifes...If anybody wants to drop by and hit some trails let us know...:)

suicideking 12-23-2012 12:37 AM

I might be up for a Saturday day trip if it's not supposed to rain.

BillG.OTD 12-23-2012 12:50 AM

Sounds good Rick, I think Scott & Kelly might come out for a day run also...

suicideking 12-23-2012 10:52 AM

I heard a rumor that Dan wanted to test out his new upgrades on the Gatekeeper? :whistling:

BillG.OTD 12-23-2012 01:05 PM

Yeah. The problem is that Dan didn't hear it. I would only consider something like that with my two most trusted spotters..:)
Besides, I might be selling my Jeep and don't need to incur any body damage...

yeeper5150 12-23-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 3135637)
Yeah. The problem is that Dan didn't hear it. I would only consider something like that with my two most trusted spotters..:)

Did you finally decide to join us jk guys!!!??

BillG.OTD 12-23-2012 02:35 PM

No not yet... I'm going to do a LJ this time. Maybe a JK down the road.. :)

JPi4.0 12-23-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD

Make sure you get one bone stock. Lol

suicideking 12-23-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 3135637)

I wouldn't do it in the foreseeable future myself. When I saw it early this year I didn't understand why anyone would even try it.

I do like the LJ too. My favorite LJ is the orange one that is at JPI often. John I think? Love that color orange.

BillG.OTD 12-23-2012 05:18 PM

I hear you buck aside from mine, I wouldn't buy a wheeled rig unless I knew the owner. I'm looking for a bone stock LJ!

BillG.OTD 12-23-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi4.0

Make sure you get one bone stock. Lol

Oh and of course have the entire build done at JPI :)

JPi4.0 12-23-2012 09:34 PM

I've been wanting an LJ lately Dan and Johns jeeps are pretty nice. I probably wont switch but you never know.

suicideking 12-26-2012 01:02 PM

Looks like the weather is going to be nice on Saturday! What time should I meet you guys there and where? Usual campground?

What trails are you planning for?

BillG.OTD 12-26-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking
Looks like the weather is going to be nice on Saturday! What time should I meet you guys there and where? Usual campground?

What trails are you planning for?

Sounds good Rick! We haven't set up a certain trail or time yet, but I know want to run the loop backwards. Maybe up Odessa and down Bismarck...if you have a preference, let us know. One of the days while we're there I want to check out some of the other trails. I have been there 3 times and ran the loop clockwise 4 times....it's great, I just want to check out some more of the area..

suicideking 12-27-2012 12:15 AM

I don't really know it that well, have done Doran and Odessa once and will be doing both again on the 12th with Yomondo's run. So whatever you two decide on is cool with me.

BillG.OTD 12-27-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking
I don't really know it that well, have done Doran and Odessa once and will be doing both again on the 12th with Yomondo's run. So whatever you two decide on is cool with me.

Okay, I will get with Dan and see if he had any preferences. We will figure out something fun :) I think running that loop backwards or forwards will work. I will also see if Scott is coming and if he has any requests.. Can you make a 10am start on Sat?

suicideking 12-27-2012 12:59 AM

10:00 is good

sjchoueiry 12-28-2012 04:03 PM

Hey guys,
I think I might be able to join you tomorrow for a day run if you don't mind.
Where is the meet place (coordinates if any) and is it still at 10:00.
Also waht channel you are going to be on.

Joe.

BillG.OTD 12-28-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjchoueiry (Post 3152954)
Hey guys,
I think I might be able to join you tomorrow for a day run if you don't mind.
Where is the meet place (coordinates if any) and is it still at 10:00.
Also waht channel you are going to be on.

Joe.

Hey Joe, We moved the start time out to 11am because I am going down in the morning as opposed to today. We have Rick, Jim and Pete along with Dan & I. If you just want to come into Calico and go to the campground to the right, thats where we are meeting. We are in C 16 & 17 and I think Jim is in the same area. If you can get there about 1030, we should be good! Let me know, Thx :)

sjchoueiry 12-28-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD (Post 3153023)
Hey Joe, We moved the start time out to 11am because I am going down in the morning as opposed to today. We have Rick, Jim and Pete along with Dan & I. If you just want to come into Calico and go to the campground to the right, thats where we are meeting. We are in C 16 & 17 and I think Jim is in the same area. If you can get there about 1030, we should be good! Let me know, Thx :)

This sounds good Bill.
I will see you guys tomorrow at 10:30. :dance:

Joe

sjchoueiry 12-30-2012 09:09 AM

It was great seeing you guys yesterday and wheeling with you.
I had a fantastic time.
Have a Happy New Year.

Joe.

BillG.OTD 12-30-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjchoueiry
It was great seeing you guys yesterday and wheeling with you.
I had a fantastic time.
Have a Happy New Year.

Joe.

You too Joe, great trail and quick with 5 jeeps. Glad you and Rick made it out for the day!

suicideking 12-30-2012 11:54 AM

That was a great run yesterday! Thanks to Dan and Bill for leading us through. :thumb:

Here's a few pics, I'll post the video later.

I H8RDS 12-30-2012 12:04 PM

:drool:OMG I miss Calico!

It's going to be 4 months after it's all said and done with this back surgery. I'm dying looking at all the pics!

suicideking 12-30-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3159866)
:drool:OMG I miss Calico!

It's going to be 4 months after it's all said and done with this back surgery. I'm dying looking at all the pics!

I'm working on the video, but how about some pics from last time I ran Calico with you leading? That was a great trip too. That was the last time I ran Calico. Huge difference for me because last time it was probably my 5th or so wheeling trip and I was completely overwhelmed by the obstacles. This time was more fun because I have a lot more experience.

suicideking 12-30-2012 08:43 PM

Calico 12 29 12 - YouTube

I H8RDS 12-30-2012 09:58 PM

Your killin' me Rick! Calico is by far my favorite place; even more so than BB. You just have everything there with some of the best great rock crawling trails.

Jacqui 12-30-2012 11:09 PM

Ahh, looks like fun! Are all the trails in Calico similar to this? My hubby and I are very new to wheelin' and we're taking it easy while we gain more experience. What would you all recommend are minimum requirements on your Jeep for these types of trails?

Baja1ab 12-30-2012 11:54 PM

Where's the gatekeeper highlights? :rofl:

Really though, I hate doing that narrow, washed away shelf section with a passion. I don't know why but it just creeps me out. :hide:

Looks like a blast! I'm feelin the itch to get back out there again.

I H8RDS 12-31-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacqui (Post 3162470)
Ahh, looks like fun! Are all the trails in Calico similar to this? My hubby and I are very new to wheelin' and we're taking it easy while we gain more experience. What would you all recommend are minimum requirements on your Jeep for these types of trails?

That's some of the hearder stuff there. I've lead many runs through Calico. If you want to do those trails, I highly recommend a lift, sliders, 33's and under armor. At least 1 locker is helpful, but many can do the trails without them. Worst case scenerio, you stack a lot of rocks or get a strap/winch in certain spots.

There's a lot out there where you can go bone stock..and just go tool around. It is pretty out there. I guarantee you though, once you go to the rocks, be prepared to start dishing out the "Jeep Mod" cash. :punk: