Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   V-Led high power reverse lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/v-led-high-power-reverse-lights-207095.html)

calvarycoffee 12-24-2012 12:50 PM

V-Led high power reverse lights
 
Just got these ordered (thanks Santa!):dance:

http://www.v-leds.com/V3-Triton/Univ...15098-1-2.html

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/...15098/size/250

I'll post some before/after pics. Need some decent light back there asap!:banghead:

G8R HATR 12-24-2012 01:24 PM

Please let us know how it goes. The reverse lights absolutely suck.

enjerhoo 12-24-2012 01:35 PM

I'm thinking of moving my PIAA's to the back for reverse lights when I buy my winch this spring. A couple of Daylighters will replace them at that time. 130 watt spots should help the back out a bit

MikeK46 12-24-2012 01:40 PM

Yea, definitely let us know if the CANBUS has any issue with the LED's. The reverse lights don't blink so hopefully you'll be alright.

SilverSport 12-24-2012 01:43 PM

Are these plug n play or do they have to be assembled?

calvarycoffee 12-24-2012 02:10 PM

there is a 3157 adapter (you specify which one you need during order) that should plug into the existing connector.

https://app.infopia.com/velocity/ima...structions.jpg

SilverSport 12-24-2012 02:40 PM

Pics of the install or it doesn't happen.

kjeeper10 12-24-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversport
pics of the install or it doesn't happen.

x10

bloodfart 12-24-2012 04:27 PM

what am i missing here?? why would anyone care about the light output from the reverse lights?? is this somehow useful on the trails or something??

calvarycoffee 12-24-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3139158)
Pics of the install or it doesn't happen.

definitely!

Z-TJ 12-24-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3139158)
Pics of the install or it doesn't happen.

Yes please!

AMangum 12-24-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodfart
what am i missing here?? why would anyone care about the light output from the reverse lights?? is this somehow useful on the trails or something??

In a nutshell, yes. I have done some night wheeling, camping, etc. and when you have to get out and shine a flashlight because you don't have enough light from the reverse lights to see where you are going you pine for something simple like this. This possible solution fills me full of hope. I am toying with putting some Rigid's on my rear bumper for that reason but am hoping these might work instead.

Darkfire 12-24-2012 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodfart
what am i missing here?? why would anyone care about the light output from the reverse lights?? is this somehow useful on the trails or something??



Attachment 190379

Yes it is awesome to be able to see behind you at night like it is daylight. Less backing accidents that way. I flush mounted a set of Rigid Industries 65 degree lights in my factory lights and love them.


Attachment 190380

You can see the light output is incredible!

SilverMiner 12-25-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 3139587)
Attachment 190379

Yes it is awesome to be able to see behind you at night like it is daylight. Less backing accidents that way. I flush mounted a set of Rigid Industries 65 degree lights in my factory lights and love them.


Attachment 190380

You can see the light output is incredible!

Genius, love that idea. :thumb:

appleman46 12-25-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 3139587)
Yes it is awesome to be able to see behind you at night like it is daylight. Less backing accidents that way. I flush mounted a set of Rigid Industries 65 degree lights in my factory lights and love them.

You can see the light output is incredible!


Can I assume you have those lights hooked up to a seperate switch? Or anytime you throw her in reverse those turn on.

Darkfire 12-25-2012 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by appleman46

Can I assume you have those lights hooked up to a seperate switch? Or anytime you throw her in reverse those turn on.

That would be yes to both, it's the trunk monkey switch ;-)

calvarycoffee 12-25-2012 04:22 PM

^ love this Darkfire, where can i buy that switch box?!

NFRs2000NYC 12-25-2012 05:26 PM

Looks like they are nothing but cree LEDs in a fancy housing for nearly $100. You can get these on ebay for less than $20. That site sells nothing but the same Chinese crap everyone else is selling (nothing wrong with Chinese crap at Chinese crap prices) but at a markup that would choke a hippo.

Z-TJ 12-25-2012 06:23 PM

^^BUZZ KILL^^:angel:

SilverSport 12-25-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3141976)
Looks like they are nothing but cree LEDs in a fancy housing for nearly $100. You can get these on ebay for less than $20. That site sells nothing but the same Chinese crap everyone else is selling (nothing wrong with Chinese crap at Chinese crap prices) but at a markup that would choke a hippo.

Links for LEDs and housing and 3157 adapter?

NFRs2000NYC 12-25-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3142150)
Links for LEDs and housing and 3157 adapter?

No need for adapters when you can just buy the correct 3157 bulbs. You can find em for less, just a quick ebay search.

2pcs 3157 3156 White CREE Q5 5W LED 12 5050 SMD Backup Light Bulbs w Lens | eBay

I have these in my JK and they are bright. They are not nearly as bright as those rigids in the above photos, but bright enough to see where I am backing up in pitch black darkness.

Darkfire 12-25-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvarycoffee
^ love this Darkfire, where can i buy that switch box?!

It is an SPod switching system and I replaced the standard switches with http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZCTO-5ZT they have a ton of diff switches.

SilverSport 12-25-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3142687)
No need for adapters when you can just buy the correct 3157 bulbs. You can find em for less, just a quick ebay search.

2pcs 3157 3156 White CREE Q5 5W LED 12 5050 SMD Backup Light Bulbs w Lens | eBay

I have these in my JK and they are bright. They are not nearly as bright as those rigids in the above photos, but bright enough to see where I am backing up in pitch black darkness.

Thank you!

tiotaco 12-27-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3142869)
Thank you!

Do these just plug in?? They don't look quite right.
:surrender:

SilverSport 12-27-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiotaco (Post 3149587)
Do these just plug in?? They don't look quite right.
:surrender:

Based on the link NFRs2000NYC posted, they do appear to be simply plug and play.

SilverSport 12-27-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3142687)
No need for adapters when you can just buy the correct 3157 bulbs. You can find em for less, just a quick ebay search.

2pcs 3157 3156 White CREE Q5 5W LED 12 5050 SMD Backup Light Bulbs w Lens | eBay

I have these in my JK and they are bright. They are not nearly as bright as those rigids in the above photos, but bright enough to see where I am backing up in pitch black darkness.

No resistors needed?

NFRs2000NYC 12-28-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3149612)
No resistors needed?

No, plug and play. Resistors are needed only for dual filament replacements ie turn signal bulbs. I left those alone.

NFRs2000NYC 12-28-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiotaco (Post 3149587)
Do these just plug in?? They don't look quite right.
:surrender:

Plug right in. Took all of 10 seconds a bulb to install (not counting the time to remove the screws.)

calvarycoffee 12-29-2012 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In box:

2 Leds
2 3156 adapters
dielectric grease
zip ties
sealing gaskets
adaptive collars
machine screws
"Triton V3" decals
instructions

Attachment 191839

everything is packaged well. The 2 led units are solid and have some weight to them. They feel well made. After seeing and handling these, "overpriced' would be an inaccurate statement, imho.

AMangum 12-29-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvarycoffee
In box:

2 Leds
2 3156 adapters
dielectric grease
zip ties
sealing gaskets
adaptive collars
machine screws
"Triton V3" decals
instructions

everything is packaged well. The 2 led units are solid and have some weight to them. They feel well made. After seeing and handling these, "overpriced' would be an inaccurate statement, imho.

I think overpriced isn't that much of a stretch when, presumably, the same amount of light can be had for $29 and they just plug in. that kit looks like a lot more work to me. Do let us know how they work though. Perhaps they will be significantly brighter. I would love to see some pics of both lights though out of curiosity.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.