Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Where to mount compressed air tank (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/where-to-mount-compressed-air-tank-207396.html)

DBoat 12-26-2012 11:30 AM

Where to mount compressed air tank

I got a compressed air tank, 10lb. Am wondering where do folks mount theirs, or do you just throw it in when you go offroad, or do you use velcro cinch straps, etc etc. Post up pics and how and why you do it your way, please.

I am thinking of either a dedicated mount to a roll bar, or a scuba type of mount to the side of the inside of the LJ. :confused:

Dana

Jerry Bransford 12-26-2012 11:38 AM

Is that tank connected to a compressor or is it meant to fill tires on its own?

DBoat 12-26-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3144185)
Is that tank connected to a compressor or is it meant to fill tires on its own?

its free standing.. like a scuba tank. Its the Smittybilt Comp Air..

Jerry Bransford 12-26-2012 12:20 PM

Oh a C02 tank? That will work fine, I was confused when you called it an air tank. POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems has several good holders for C02 tanks. :)

Enemy 12-26-2012 03:29 PM

Can 10 or 11lbs of air fill up 4 tires after hitting the trails? I was thinking of buying this......
11 Gallon Portable Air Tank

and just filling it with my compressor before going out.

jgorm 12-26-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enemy (Post 3144888)
Can 10 or 11lbs of air fill up 4 tires after hitting the trails? I was thinking of buying this......

10lbs of air will fill up a ton of tires, but there is no way you could fit 10lbs of air in a 11 gallon tank. That tank might fill up 2 tires.

Moabrubi 12-26-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enemy (Post 3144888)

I have one of those just sitting in the garage collecting dust but It wont work good for just an air tank. It is way too bulky and it wont fill 4 tires. I tried to fill one tire and watching the pressure gauge go down I didn't even bother with it anymore.

IMO, a CO2 tank is the way to go. When I find a good deal on one I am going to ditch my Viair. York is nice but seems like too much of a hassle.

Enemy 12-26-2012 03:45 PM

thanks for the info, good to know before I spent $35 on a usless tank.

Jerry Bransford 12-26-2012 03:49 PM

A 10 lb. C02 tank will refill 24-25 35" tires. A 10 lb. compressed air tank would barely fill more than a single tire... if that much. :)

DBoat 12-26-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3144331)
Oh a C02 tank? That will work fine, I was confused when you called it an air tank. POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems has several good holders for C02 tanks. :)

Thanks for the link, but I would also like to hear from the folks here in regard to their personal experience. What works for them, what doesnt... how do they mount them, what do they use to mount them.. the whole kit and caboodle..

Thanks, and please post up.

Dana

Salem50001 12-26-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3144946)
A 10 lb. C02 tank will refill 24-25 35" tires. A 10 lb. compressed air tank would barely fill more than a single tire... if that much. :)

So your saying that a 10lb bottle of CO2 can refill 24-25 tires that are 35" big? If that is the case why do people still buy electric compressers? I was looking at on OBA system but now learning this I will get this setup.

Also Jerry, I saw that link to powertank.com and which 10lb bottle would you use? I am now looking at POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems . Also I can fill my own bottle because my family is in the restaurant business and we get CO2 tanks all the time. So it would be nothing for me to refill.

Dragonii 12-26-2012 10:12 PM

What would be the pros and cons of doing a system like this where an air tank is mounted under the Jeep and there is an electric air pump mounted under the hood?

http://tandjperformance.com/store/im...air%20tank.jpg

TJ-Q8 12-27-2012 12:26 AM

Sorry for this tiny hikack, but is it safe to drve around with 1800+psi in the back of the jeep? I love this idea but icant get over te fact that it might be dangerous. Also shaking bouncing around is not dangerous? Ourdeserts are a bit hard and the hard suspension transfers all the force up into the jeep. Its fine with the c02 tank?

jgorm 12-27-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonii (Post 3146354)
What would be the pros and cons of doing a system like this where an air tank is mounted under the Jeep and there is an electric air pump mounted under the hood?

http://tandjperformance.com/store/im...air%20tank.jpg

That looks like a wimpy pump. The pros of electric onboard air is that you never run out of air. CO2 is great, but who wants to fill the tank all the time? What do you do if you know its low and might not fill all your tires? Unless you weigh your tanks, its tricky to know how much is in there because the pressure doesn't change much until the liquid is gone, then it drops real fast. CO2 is bigger and space is tight on jeeps. You can mount a tank a pumps out of the way. CO2 is super fast if you have the fast flow valve. I have a bunch of CO2 tanks, regulators, setup with a air hose chuck, etc, but I still bring a portable electric pump because its smaller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Q8 (Post 3146774)
Sorry for this tiny hikack, but is it safe to drve around with 1800+psi in the back of the jeep? I love this idea but icant get over te fact that it might be dangerous. Also shaking bouncing around is not dangerous? Ourdeserts are a bit hard and the hard suspension transfers all the force up into the jeep. Its fine with the c02 tank?

Its plenty safe. The pressure is about half that.

Moabrubi 12-27-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salem50001 (Post 3146154)
So your saying that a 10lb bottle of CO2 can refill 24-25 tires that are 35" big? If that is the case why do people still buy electric compressers? I was looking at on OBA system but now learning this I will get this setup.

Also Jerry, I saw that link to powertank.com and which 10lb bottle would you use? I am now looking at POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems . Also I can fill my own bottle because my family is in the restaurant business and we get CO2 tanks all the time. So it would be nothing for me to refill.

CO2 does have it's cons. For one it costs to fill it up, it's not expensive but after a while it adds up. The CO2 tank is just more stuff to put in the back of the already packed Jeep. Lastly, no more free fill ups for your buddies.

I'm still looking at CO2 myself though. Everyone else will have to get their own air :rofl:.

DBoat 12-27-2012 07:18 PM

Well, it doesnt seem as if too many folks have CO2 on board their rigs.. it does cost a little but its a huge timesaver. Time is money after all..

Dana

Jerry Bransford 12-27-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoat (Post 3149845)
Well, it doesnt seem as if too many folks have CO2 on board their rigs.. it does cost a little but its a huge timesaver. Time is money after all..

Plenty do, and the use of C02 to inflate tires seems to be growing. I think the lack of response here is more that few of us with C02 tanks have cool trick mounting locations to recommend to you. Try as I did, I never found a really satisfactory permanent carrying location. I just throw my tank into a location where it won't fall out and go from there. :)

Full Spool 12-27-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Q8 (Post 3146774)
Sorry for this tiny hikack, but is it safe to drve around with 1800+psi in the back of the jeep?

Was Jaws able to detonate that scuba tank without the help of a rifle?

Here's mine...

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...SC_00021-1.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...SC_00031-1.jpg

DBoat 12-27-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Plenty do, and the use of C02 to inflate tires seems to be growing. I think the lack of response here is more that few of us with C02 tanks have cool trick mounting locations to recommend to you. Try as I did, I never found a really satisfactory permanent carrying location. I just throw my tank into a location where it won't fall out and go from there. :)

That is exactly the feedback I was looking for.. Thank you.. I bought some Velcro cinch straps to help keep it in place. But trick set ups would be ok too. :)

DBoat 12-27-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool

Was Jaws able to detonate that scuba tank without the help of a rifle?

Here's mine...

Nice. Thank you

Full Spool 12-27-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoat (Post 3150281)
I bought some Velcro cinch straps to help keep it in place.

Just to let you know how dangerous the bottles can be...

The other day I was playing with an empty plastic water bottle. I took a can of keyboard spray and sprayed inside the bottle and quickly put the cap on. After the co2 warmed up the bottle blew up in my hand. It felt like it blew my thumb off. Now multiply that with the volume of 40 full sized tires in a small tank, and imagine what the damage could be if the regulator suddenly broke off.

I would secure that bottle like your life depended on it.

DBoat 12-27-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool

Just to let you know how dangerous the bottles can be...

The other day I was playing with an empty plastic water bottle. I took a can of keyboard spray and sprayed inside the bottle and quickly put the cap on. After the co2 warmed up the bottle blew up in my hand. It felt like it blew my thumb off. Now multiply that with the volume of 40 full sized tires in a small tank, and imagine what the damage could be if the regulator suddenly broke off.

I would secure that bottle like your life depended on it.

I appreciate the warning and concern. I would definitely make sure the tank is securely held in place hence multiple straps. I am still looking to see if most have a perm holder or use a temp setup where they strap them in. Either way, I was looking for creative solutions and setups that are secure. Thanks again.
Dana

DBoat 12-28-2012 03:56 PM

Just went and got the tank filled up.. and, YEP, it weighs 10 lbs more than it did empty.. what a coincidence. Now to figure out how to carry it..

Dana

Leslee 12-28-2012 05:50 PM

co2

what is the cost to have a 10#filled up?

Full Spool 12-28-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslee (Post 3153286)

Cost me $21 this summer.

DBoat 12-28-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslee

Cost me just under $15 today

Leslee 12-29-2012 06:21 PM

Power Tank

Thanks for the info Guys,Iam looking at getting that set up,power tank has high shipping charges i found some stuff on amazon FYI...Again Thanks...

DBoat 12-29-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslee
Thanks for the info Guys,Iam looking at getting that set up,power tank has high shipping charges i found some stuff on amazon FYI...Again Thanks...

Got my Smittybilt for$210 on sale.

GoBig19 01-01-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoat

Got my Smittybilt for$210 on sale.

How do you like it?

DBoat 01-01-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBig19

How do you like it?

Will let you know in a couple of weeks. Just got it filled up and am going offroad later this month
Dana