Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   UPS delivery question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/ups-delivery-question-208120.html)

Timjeep 12-29-2012 04:08 PM

UPS delivery question
 
I ordered tires from Discount Tire Direct. Just checked the tracking. They are here in town, but not scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. Hate knowing they are about 5 miles from me. I checked on the UPS website. They are delivering air shipments, but not ground shipments. Since they are delivering, I will try to go to UPS and pick them up, if they let me. Anyone have any ideas?

Call me impatient, I want my wheels and tires. It's frustrating knowing they are here in town Saturday and I can't have them until Wednesday.

Arrrrg...........:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ztman 12-29-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timjeep (Post 3156774)
I ordered tires from Discount Tire Direct. Just checked the tracking. They are here in town, but not scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. Hate knowing they are about 5 miles from me. I checked on the UPS website. They are delivering air shipments, but not ground shipments. Since they are delivering, I will try to go to UPS and pick them up, if they let me. Anyone have any ideas?

Call me impatient, I want my wheels and tires. It's frustrating knowing they are here in town Saturday and I can't have them until Wednesday.

Arrrrg...........:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Go try to pick them up Monday, the worst they can say is no. The front desk clerk will probably tell you no, I would call the Hub manager before you go there, he will have the authority to release them

KittyPrawn 12-29-2012 04:21 PM

Call them. If there is a local UPS store, you may be able to pick them up there. But, call them first. There is no guarantee that if you just show up, your package will be available.

LMT Rubi 12-29-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztman (Post 3156788)
go try to pick them up monday, the worst they can say is no. The front desk clerk will probably tell you no, i would call the hub manager before you go there, he will have the authority to release them

x2

CampThree1982 12-29-2012 07:21 PM

If they've loaded them on the truck that's slated for your area it may be harder for them to retrieve them at the Distribution site. If there still in the warehouse then all you need is your invoice and ID and you should be able to get them.

jkucod12 12-29-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztman (Post 3156788)
Go try to pick them up Monday, the worst they can say is no. The front desk clerk will probably tell you no, I would call the Hub manager before you go there, he will have the authority to release them

Get there early, you need to be there 30 min before the trucks leave…

Jaker jk 12-29-2012 08:51 PM

No to everybody that gave you a response

Sorry to say you will have to wait to wenesday , Monday is a air day only so air is all that is loaded , your tires are somewhere in a semi trailer with 1000 other packages in it with 12 other trailers On the lot

So no one is going to be able to get them for you

jp2611 12-29-2012 08:54 PM

IDK if you can but it is POssible to change delivery place on line...maybe you can change it to a PICK UP??? best suggestion I got and you still may not pick them up till Wens...unless you can change it on line and and get a confirmation to pick up Mon?

Tanksta 12-30-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3157748)
No to everybody that gave you a response

Sorry to say you will have to wait to wenesday , Monday is a air day only so air is all that is loaded , your tires are somewhere in a semi trailer with 1000 other packages in it with 12 other trailers On the lot

So no one is going to be able to get them for you


Sorry to say, but this is the truth.

They are in a trailer packed floor to ceiling with all kinds of other packages/tires/etc, and will not be unloaded until early am the day of scheduled delivery.

2five22 12-30-2012 09:18 AM

It is not possible. UPS is set up to transfer packages and shipments from shipper to customer directly and the local center is not set up to accomodate people showing up unscheduled and wanting their shipments.

Trying to recover stuff from the train containers, the tractor-trailers, or the package trucks would be a nightmare.

Raiderfan001 12-30-2012 09:22 AM

I've called UPS many times to pick things up. Once for a 50" TV and others were just small packages. I do it all the time when i'm not home and a signature is required. I've even met the truck driver at his last stop (Office Depot) before he heads back to the office to pick up a delivery.

YJmaddness 12-30-2012 10:04 AM

This is why fedex is 1000 times better. Much better customer service. I have had items shipped from the same place the same day ups ground and fedex ground. Fedex beat ups by a week, they even contacted the driver for me and had him redeliver because I missed him earlier in the day. Ups is just a nightmare, had a few items misdelivered and never recovered.

wat3rdog 12-30-2012 10:24 AM

For ABQ FedEx means no package and you have to go stand in a long a.. line for it. My UPS guy always leaves my stuff at the door and is like clock work. Same time every time. This mean that I can swing by the house from work and take it inside when it gets there. They also sent me a txt that is always quicker on the update than say Amazon. I love my UPS service. Also for the holidays I sent my pkgs thru the UPS store and stood behind 3 people vs the 1.5 hr wait at the post office.

Jaker jk 12-30-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 (Post 3159289)
I've called UPS many times to pick things up. Once for a 50" TV and others were just small packages. I do it all the time when i'm not home and a signature is required. I've even met the truck driver at his last stop (Office Depot) before he heads back to the office to pick up a delivery.

this will work during normal day , but this is a hoilday

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159427)
This is why fedex is 1000 times better. Much better customer service. I have had items shipped from the same place the same day ups ground and fedex ground. Fedex beat ups by a week, they even contacted the driver for me and had him redeliver because I missed him earlier in the day. Ups is just a nightmare, had a few items misdelivered and never recovered.

so you are saying that both items shipped on a monday and fedex got it to you a week ahead of ups , wow i guess fedex has a time machine

across country ups is a week and fedex is 4days , so for the ups to get to you a week behind fedex then i dont know what to say ecexpt you are not telling the whole story

also ups does redelivers to if they can

i think you got butt hurt over something you caused and no you are just whinning about it now

whiteyj 12-30-2012 10:46 AM

I have nothing but great things to say about UPS and their driver's. Great service with driver's making the extra effort for residential customers.

On the down side, if I totally miss a signature required package, UPS center is much farther away than the local FedEX center.

YJmaddness 12-30-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk
this will work during normal day , but this is a hoilday

so you are saying that both items shipped on a monday and fedex got it to you a week ahead of ups , wow i guess fedex has a time machine

across country ups is a week and fedex is 4days , so for the ups to get to you a week behind fedex then i dont know what to say ecexpt you are not telling the whole story

also ups does redelivers to if they can

i think you got butt hurt over something you caused and no you are just whinning about it now

I'm not butt hurt or whining. September this year I asked a supplier of mine to ship 2 of the same item from ohio to idaho. One fedex and one ups. Fedex took 4 days and ups was a week later. That's the whole story. It kinda sounds like you got butt hurt over my comment. Must be a ups employee...?

Barrie 12-30-2012 11:13 AM

I am a FedEx home delivery driver and all I can say is if it is in our terminal or on a home delivery truck we will do what we can to get it to you. All we need is your tracking #. The poster who said if it is still in a trailer packed floor to ceiling is correct, in that we cannot sort through the trailer for just one package.

Jaker jk 12-30-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159646)
I'm not butt hurt or whining. September this year I asked a supplier of mine to ship 2 of the same item from ohio to idaho. One fedex and one ups. Fedex took 4 days and ups was a week later. That's the whole story. It kinda sounds like you got butt hurt over my comment. Must be a ups employee...?

So why did the ups one take so long , did you track it to see why or are you sure your suppplier shipped them both the same day

There had to be a reason the ups one showed up a whole week later or is a week later Monday and not Friday

And yes I am a ups worker and I have to deal with people like you who don't tell the whole story all the time

You will be amazed of the small details people leave out that will help the problem

YJmaddness 12-30-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie
I am a FedEx home delivery driver and all I can say is if it is in our terminal or on a home delivery truck we will do what we can to get it to you. All we need is your tracking #. The poster who said if it is still in a trailer packed floor to ceiling is correct, in that we cannot sort through the trailer for just one package.

So what you are saying is that fedex does not have trailers full of freight sitting around your compound?

+1 fedex

Jaker jk 12-30-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159701)
So what you are saying is that fedex does not have trailers full of freight sitting around your compound?

+1 fedex

You need to read that again and read it slowly , so you can understand what was said

wat3rdog 12-30-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaker jk (Post 3159772)

you need to read that again and read it slowly , so you can understand what was said

+2

YJmaddness 12-30-2012 11:43 AM

Hey Jake lets ask barrie how often there are full trailers sitting at their station for more than one day? Obviously if his tires are stacked in a trailer they are not accessible. But that is not the point. The point is that fedex will get your stuff to you faster than ups. From what I'm getting from barries comment is that if the package is at the station in the AM it is going out for delivery, not sitting in a trailer.

Raiderfan001 12-30-2012 11:54 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that both UPS and Fedex experiences will differ for everyone depending on where they live and who delivers their packages. I've had good and bad experiences with both in multiple locations. For the most part they have both been good for me. And both at times have left me frustrated. Like when I order something with free ground shipping and it should only take 1-2 days at the most but they let it sit there until the last day just because they can. Those were many of the times I would always just call and drive not even a minute away to the office and pick it up. Both companies can hire lazy workers that can make experiences with either company seem sour. So to blatantly say hur dur UPS sucks!!! or Fedex is worse than UPS!!! is just ignorant and simple minded. You can't base that off of the one or two areas you've lived in and judge the entire company in every state in every city with a blanket statement. And UPS employee or not you can't base how the office you work at and assume they all work that way. Holiday or not i've always been able to pickup my package if it arrived at the location near where I lived. Being military and moving a lot I have experience with both companies in several states and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It all depends on the workers.

Barrie 12-30-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159701)
So what you are saying is that fedex does not have trailers full of freight sitting around your compound?

+1 fedex


If the trailer is in the yard during our sorting time it WILL be unloaded and the packages sorted.


Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159794)
Hey Jake lets ask barrie how often there are full trailers sitting at their station for more than one day? Obviously if his tires are stacked in a trailer they are not accessible. But that is not the point. The point is that fedex will get your stuff to you faster than ups. From what I'm getting from barries comment is that if the package is at the station in the AM it is going out for delivery, not sitting in a trailer.

Yes, if it has been unloaded and sorted to the correct area chances are it will be delivered. The day before Christmas I drove 75 miles to deliver just two packages on the chance they were someones Christmas present.

Hardermods 12-30-2012 12:48 PM

Never hurts to call down there and ask, I had a package that was to be delivered on friday but required a sig, change of plans and nobody was gonna be home so I called down there the day before and requested to have them hold the package then I ran in there in the morning and picked it up.

UnlimitedRubicon 12-30-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timjeep (Post 3156774)
Anyone have any ideas?


Check the time in transit and order earlier next time.





Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159701)
So what you are saying is that fedex does not have trailers full of freight sitting around your compound?


If FedEx didn't have trailers full of packages sitting around their compound, they'd be out of business. One advantage the FedEx system has is that one can select FedEx home delivery and have a ground package delivered on a Saturday. Other than that ... six in one hand, a half dozen in the other.

the Kolector 12-30-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3159646)
I'm not butt hurt or whining. September this year I asked a supplier of mine to ship 2 of the same item from ohio to idaho. One fedex and one ups. Fedex took 4 days and ups was a week later. That's the whole story. It kinda sounds like you got butt hurt over my comment. Must be a ups employee...?

When you say "a week later" is that time based off the shipped date? or the day FedEx made their delivery to you. So, it took a week and 4 days for UPS to deliver, based off "a week later" from the day FedEx delivered or 7 days from the shipped date to deliver, meaning 3 days after Fedex delivered?

Barrie 12-30-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 3160006)
Check the time in transit and order earlier next time.








If FedEx didn't have trailers full of packages sitting around their compound, they'd be out of business. One advantage the FedEx system has is that one can select FedEx home delivery and have a ground package delivered on a Saturday. Other than that ... six in one hand, a half dozen in the other.

Very true, I put in 10 1/2 hours yesterday.

YJmaddness 12-30-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 (Post 3159840)
Another thing to keep in mind is that both UPS and Fedex experiences will differ for everyone depending on where they live and who delivers their packages. I've had good and bad experiences with both in multiple locations. For the most part they have both been good for me. And both at times have left me frustrated. Like when I order something with free ground shipping and it should only take 1-2 days at the most but they let it sit there until the last day just because they can. Those were many of the times I would always just call and drive not even a minute away to the office and pick it up. Both companies can hire lazy workers that can make experiences with either company seem sour. So to blatantly say hur dur UPS sucks!!! or Fedex is worse than UPS!!! is just ignorant and simple minded. You can't base that off of the one or two areas you've lived in and judge the entire company in every state in every city with a blanket statement. And UPS employee or not you can't base how the office you work at and assume they all work that way. Holiday or not i've always been able to pickup my package if it arrived at the location near where I lived. Being military and moving a lot I have experience with both companies in several states and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It all depends on the workers.

I agree with you, i guess i should have worded my original comment better, i didnt really mean that ups sucks, but rather that fedex has been faster to deliver, and less problems for me anyhow.

I use multiple shipping services everyday, none of them have been perfect.

When Jake comes out with his Godcomplex as ups employee, lumping me in to his idea of the ups customer(thats always lying), pulling time machines out of nowhere and jumping to conclusions that pisses me off.

Jake, I dont know why it took so long, and i didn't really care other than to see what service was faster.

UnlimitedRubicon, I guess you can pull that out of context, Jake stated that the tires are stacked with 12 other trailers in a lot, I said that fedex didn't do that. If fedex didn't have full trailers on the highways then i suppose that they would no longer be in business, you would be right. but just as Barrie stated if the trailer is at the station and packages have been scanned as arrived to that location every package would be sent out for delivery, not be restacked into a trailer.

I guess this is what happens when you have to have itmes shipped rather than being able to get them from a local shop.
Super bummed out for you Timjeep. nothing a little patience wont fix.

UnlimitedRubicon 12-30-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3160225)
UnlimitedRubicon, I guess you can pull that out of context, Jake stated that the tires are stacked with 12 other trailers in a lot, I said that fedex didn't do that.


FedEx does it as well. Operational efficiencies demand it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by YJmaddness (Post 3160225)
but just as Barrie stated if the trailer is at the station and packages have been scanned as arrived to that location every package would be sent out for delivery, not be restacked into a trailer.


If the scheduled delivery date is for the next Wednesday, the package would not be sent out for delivery on Friday especially when the trailer arrives after the delivery vehicles have already been loaded with the Friday deliveries.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.