Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Trail Pics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/)
-   -   Snow care (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/snow-care-208242.html)

NWOhio_Bman 12-30-2012 03:44 AM

Snow care

I bought my first JK about three months back, we just got our first measurable snowfall, I have a few questions.
  • this is my first 4x4, how much snow is really enough snow to need it?
  • Any advice on cleaning snow off the soft top windows? The salesman was very adamant that they scratch easy.
  • lastly, how much snow can the soft top handle before stretching becomes an issue?

Any advice for a first timer would be appreciated, thanks!

dude33 12-30-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWOhio_Bman (Post 3158870)
I bought my first JK about three months back, we just got our first measurable snowfall, I have a few questions.
[*]this is my first 4x4, how much snow is really enough snow to need it?[*]Any advice on cleaning snow off the soft top windows? The salesman was very adamant that they scratch easy.[*]lastly, how much snow can the soft top handle before stretching becomes an issue?

Any advice for a first timer would be appreciated, thanks!

Remember to clean the vent off in front of window or defrost well not work 100% and use the four wheel when need or where two wheel isn't working

dude33 12-30-2012 05:49 AM

Also no four wheel drive does little on ice so be careful

jp2611 12-30-2012 06:06 AM

Sales man was correct about the windows....the plastic windows on softop scratch very easily...best thing is to just LIGHTLY brush off with a gloved hand......4wd is Best used on snow or ice covered roads.....you may leave it in 4wd however that is not the best course for driving on cleared roads for extended periods of time. As mentioned 4wd does no good for stopping on ice....it does help maintain control under NORMAL braking.

"Take it easy", is a very good idea even if/ when the Jeep is giving you the confidence that you can drive pretty much however you want. As with any vehicle slow and easy makes good sense, any time roads are not the best.

The top on my '04 TJ has had 3 foot of snow on the top with out any issues.

Happy Jeepin'

dude33 12-30-2012 06:12 AM

I put a piece of plywood on top if we are expecting more then a foot

faultymechanics 01-28-2013 11:08 AM

You could prob just give the soft windows a tap from the inside to knock the snow off. Just don't hit it so hard to stretch it but you probably wont scratch it with a light tap in the center.

jp2611 01-28-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faultymechanics (Post 3289112)
You could prob just give the soft windows a tap from the inside to knock the snow off. Just don't hit it so hard to stretch it but you probably wont scratch it with a light tap in the center.

Friend of mine at church was driving the Family yj...and did that when all the snow didn't fall off the door when he closed it...granted it was old but he "just tapped it and it split"!!!

I use those cheap brown Jersey gloves for brushing snow off, can buy them in a 3 pair pack, and they dry quickly if you don't soak them and if you lose them it is no big deal less than $10 to replace