Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   bumper mounter receiver hitch pro/con ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/bumper-mounter-receiver-hitch-pro-con-208276.html)

krazybob 12-30-2012 10:26 AM

bumper mounter receiver hitch pro/con ?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking at installing a bumper mounter 2" receiver hitch on my YJ, and wonder just how a hitch mounted onto the bumper would do. I've installed frame mounted hitches before, but this one would be much simpler to install. I attached a picture of the unit, but since this is the first time I've tried to attach a picture, I hope it makes the trip :whistling:

harleydragon 12-30-2012 10:54 AM

it will be okay if you don't overload it

1990JEEPYJ 01-02-2013 06:43 PM

I have that same one, sucks ass. Gets hung up on rocks easily and it bent very easily. It has lasted the 5 years the po had it on.

Brooke55 08-17-2015 07:20 PM

How did this hitch work for you I'm looking for an in expensive hitch so I can use a hitch mounted cargo carrier

James J Jeep 08-18-2015 08:36 AM

So far I haven't "hitched" anything to this bumper hitch (which is a Reese receiver welded to where the old ball was mounted). But this is my set up with a Harbor Freight carrier.

IMAG0110_zpslghleu84.jpg Photo by James_J_Jeep | Photobucket

IMAG0103_zpswstdjynx.jpg Photo by James_J_Jeep | Photobucket

The weight limit on the carrier is up to 500#, but so far I haven't had nearly that much on it. I did have about 150# worth of coolers, fishing gear, etc on it as I bounced along the beach. Did just fine.

The PO had a 16' fishing boat he used the YJ for and had (he said) no trouble at all hauling. The wire harness is still there and I might, one day, put a ball in the reciever and try to haul something.

Brooke55 08-18-2015 01:50 PM

Thanks that's all I plan to use it for plus deer

toddster8 08-18-2015 09:54 PM

I am a little nervous about how little of the HF carrier shaft actually goes into the receiver. It's really loose and rattles around. Slants one way or the other. I think I'll drill another set of holes so the shaft can go in farther, and maybe some kind of secondary connection to the bumper, out at the ends.
I don't usually use it when the top isn't on, so it might be a while. It's mostly for hauling things I don't want inside - propane and fuel tanks. It's hanging on the garage wall with the doors and back seat.
I do haul cargo trailers with that style hitch all the time. Just have to remember that it isn't really a class III hitch. But it will take anything up to the towing capacity of the vehicle. I also stick a $5 HF third-brake light in the receiver, when the stinger isn't in.

87moneypit 09-27-2015 12:31 AM

The same hitch was on my yj when i bought it . I haul a two place covered sled trailer around behind it with 2 quads on it all the time. Total weight 1400 pounds. I made sure to put a draw bar in that has my trailer 1.5 inches nose up when loaded on level ground . She go's down e-way 75 to 80 mph for hours on end straight as an arrow.