Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New Jeep owner....a few questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-jeep-owner-a-few-questions-20831.html)

ky-homelite 08-20-2008 09:14 PM

New Jeep owner....a few questions

Hi guys.....been looking around your forum this evening and it looks like an awesome resource. I just got a new-to-me Jeep this evening. It's a 2000 model TJ with a 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed tranny. The little truck has 75,000 miles.....I paid $6500 for it. I think I got a decent deal. This is my first Jeep since high school. Back then I had a 79 CJ7. Absolutely loved that jeep! I'm hoping this one will be the same. So far the main thing I can tell a difference in is that my TJ is so much more modern and refined compared to the old CJ. I'm not as young as I used to be so I'm not complaining one bit.

Of course, since this Jeep is used, of course there is no owners manual. Basically I'm wanting to know a little information about the Jeep. I know the engine size is a 2.5L four cylinder. How much oil for an oil change with filter, and what kind? 10W-30, 5W30, or what? What type of tranny do I have? It's a 5 speed....but what kind? How much fluid and what type for a fluid change? Same goes for the transfer case....how much and what kind? Same for the read end....what kind of fluid and how much? As far as I know, this is just a little SE model....plain jane with no frills or anything.

Thanks for the help!!

richp 08-20-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ky-homelite (Post 257235)
Hi guys.....been looking around your forum this evening and it looks like an awesome resource. I just got a new-to-me Jeep this evening. It's a 2000 model TJ with a 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed tranny. The little truck has 75,000 miles.....I paid $6500 for it. I think I got a decent deal. This is my first Jeep since high school. Back then I had a 79 CJ7. Absolutely loved that jeep! I'm hoping this one will be the same. So far the main thing I can tell a difference in is that my TJ is so much more modern and refined compared to the old CJ. I'm not as young as I used to be so I'm not complaining one bit.

Of course, since this Jeep is used, of course there is no owners manual. Basically I'm wanting to know a little information about the Jeep. I know the engine size is a 2.5L four cylinder. How much oil for an oil change with filter, and what kind? 10W-30, 5W30, or what? What type of tranny do I have? It's a 5 speed....but what kind? How much fluid and what type for a fluid change? Same goes for the transfer case....how much and what kind? Same for the read end....what kind of fluid and how much? As far as I know, this is just a little SE model....plain jane with no frills or anything.

Thanks for the help!!

10W30 Mobil-1 4 quarts
Mobil-1 filter M1-204 or K&N HP-2004
AX-5 for the tranny, GL-3 gear oil, NOT GL-5, Redline MT-90 works fine
231 transfer case, Mobil-1 ATF
front axle should be D30
Rear axle should be D35
75W gear oil for the axles, Mobil, Valvoline,
I have preference for synthetics as you can see, in all 6 of our jeeps.
You can get an owners manual but I would suggest you get the factory service manual, around $90 from the dealer, my 97's are actually 3 books, not sure about the 2000's.

Welcome

ky-homelite 08-20-2008 10:00 PM

Awesome, thanks a bunch! I want to change all the fluids in this thing ASAP.